Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looked at a 1980 Hobie 18 today, not blown away  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• The standing and running rigging was in good shape.
    The trampoline and sails had 2 to 5 years left in them.
    The trailer was pretty new, maybe new.
    The hulls on the bottom were smooth, it was never beached.
    Two inpection holes were installed, one in each hull.
    Between the dagger board slot and the rear cross bar there were soft spots that were repaired once, about 6 inchs wide by two feet long. On the starboard side the repair was very soft, despite the previous repair. There were a lot of stress cracks in these zones too.
    They are asking $3500. I could repair the soft spots and ignore the cracks, I suppose.
    What might be a reasonable offer, if I chose to buy this thing?
  • We sold our 1979 Model in similiar shape for $1000.00
    so my guess would be that it's overpriced!!! shop around more

http://www.thebeachcats.c…t.php/product/1524/cat/1

http://www.thebeachcats.c…t.php/product/1505/cat/1

another on the hobie site

1983 H-18 magnum for sale in cali, Sail # 16791 sublime plus 2 extra sets white with rainbow and blue with rainbow,
    X bar reinforcements, magnum wings , trailer , 5:1 downhaul , extra x-bars front and rear. This is my old boat and the owner needs to sell . He's asking $2500.

Best of Luck

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • i bought my 84 H18 for $600. it was in decent shape and the guy was motivated to sell it to get it out of his yard...
  • kgatesmanThey are asking $3500. I could repair the soft spots and ignore the cracks, I suppose.
    What might be a reasonable offer, if I chose to buy this thing?

Just hearing $3,500 for a 1980 Hobie 18 (with soft spots) sounds like a lot, but the details are everything. One thing, despite reports of deals like Andrew's $600 boat, to me there is kind of a base price for a complete package that includes boat with all useable parts, sails, rigging, lines, and trailer.

My opinion is that there is a kind of base price for "Sail Away" ready boats. By "Sail Away" I mean you could trailer straight to the launch area (hey! the trailer lights work) rig it and go sailing using only the stuff that came with the boat. For a "Sail Away" Hobie 18 I don't see why it would go for less that $2,500. The price will adjust up and down from that based on area, age, cosmetics, seller motivation, how well advertised (who knows it's for sale).

After you get the adjusted "Sail Away" price you can adjust up or down for things that are missing (needs new main sheet) or additional (comes with three sets of sails).

Some extras are cash money. A set of used Hobie 18 sails (without battens) can be sold easily here at TheBeachcats.com Classifieds for $400-900 depending on looks and condition.

So if someone was selling a H18 for $3,000, but it comes with an extra set of sails I could turn into cash, it's right at the base price.

What does everyone think of my "Sail Away" thinking. Anyone want to state what they consider the base price for other popular beachcats?

But Full Stop: Condition of the hulls is everything, so make fully sure the hulls are good or can be made good. CATastrophic hull failure is a good way to ruin your day.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • ghhm43
    '82 Hobie 18 w/ trl
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…t.php/product/1524/cat/1

1984 Hobie 18, ready to sail
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…t.php/product/1505/cat/1

Both of these H18's look like good deals, they are both out West. Buy off-season and be willing to dig a boat out of a snow bank and you are sure to get a good deal. (and be willing to make a road trip for the right boat)

Good Luck, and let us know what you get.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • You could sail this boat today, but not on Lake Michigan. It would be kind of hard (teehee!).
    The boat today was 280 mile round trip. The boat next week is 240 miles. Then I must wait patiently for more to pop up.
    I am selling a MacGregor 25 to fund this speedy upgrade, and have received a lot of interest, but have not sold it yet.
    I have time, there is not much sailing in Northern Illinois until May. Even on a dry boat like the M25, April is pretty lousy.

edited by: kgatesman, Feb 11, 2009 - 05:57 PM
  • Fill out your profile so folks will know what area you are in and whatever other info you want to share. (Click the profile link in the main menu)

Feel free to post an ad for your M25 in the monohull section of the classifieds.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…fieds/showcat.php/cat/16

You'll have it all to yourself, but the classifieds get a LOT of traffic and show up well in Google, so an ad there might sell the boat.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Thanks for the help Damon! I was all for the Mac when I bought it, but the kids find it boring, too slow, not much action.
    I took them out on a Hobie 14 at a YMCA camp, and they were totally into it.
  • QuoteWhat does everyone think of my "Sail Away" thinking. Anyone want to state what they consider the base price for other popular beachcats?

I agree... i paid $600 for the boat, but dropped about $1500 in the next year in upgrades and repairs (tramp, lines, rigging blocks, sails, beer... i mean parts, welding cracks in the beams, bottom jobs, polish, beer... i mean)

My 95 Mystere 5.5. (18') sail away price was about &3500 14 months ago.. it had a new tornado sail and new tramp on it. those 2 items cost about $1200
  • My G-Cat 5.7 may be a stray now... still, I can buy parts. Lock stock and barrel, ready to pull and sail... $900.

The deals are out there. You may have to drive a bit, but for a grand or two in savings... makes for a road trip. I was going to buy a hobie 20 in Lauderdale (from tampa) because the price was so right... got beat to the prize.

• Good luck on finding an H18, took me months to find a deal.
    Got to drive 500 miles round trip to Wisconsin for mine.
    Got it for 300$ but it needed (needs) help with replacing gear. Fortunately, it was a case a solid boat, but owners who frequently lost stuff.

$3500 sounds extremely expensive for a 1980 boat. I would keep searching for something cheaper, because you will inevitably have to replace things anyways.
    Make sure to check the back of the transoms on the H18s, that is usually the weakest section of hulls.
    If you aren't dead-set on an H18, although a great boat, look at some Nacras too, you could pick up a late 80s/early 90s boat for a couple grand.
  • When I was looking for my 5.7 last year I ran across quite few Hobie 18s in my area. There are lots of them where I live, which might drive the price down, but they seemed to range from about $600 for a junky one up to about $2500 for a pristine one with extras.

I've never sailed Lake Michigan, but when I was looking for my 5.7, I noticed that there were lots of Nacras on Craigslist in Michigan. So, if you're not too set on a Hobie, you may want to look at a Nacra too. Plus, with a Nacra, you don't have to worry as much about de-lamination.

edited by: rhuntbach, Feb 13, 2009 - 03:03 PM
  • I am totally flexible on whether it is a Hobie, Prindle or Nacra. I have to try to keep the cost under $4000, I could do $5000, but I need to save some money for parts, repairs and neoprene.
  • I love my H18M on Lake Michigan. The wings make the "occationally" rough water of the lake much more pleasant. Something to keep in mind when looking for a boat to sail on a big body of water.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • some nacra's worth looking at.

we sail a 5.5 SL - and love the boat

http://www.cathouse1.com/used.html

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Thanks everyone for all your tips!
  • kgatesmanThanks for the help Damon! I was all for the Mac when I bought it, but the kids find it boring, too slow, not much action.
    I took them out on a Hobie 14 at a YMCA camp, and they were totally into it.

Looks like you sold your slow boat,
    http://www.thebeachcats.c….php/product/1550/cat/16

Did you sell it from the classified here at TheBeachcats.com? The action is really heating up on the classifieds, if anyone has stuff to sell, now is the time.

so which beachcat have you decided on?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I am not really sure where the guy found my boat. I also had ads on Craigslist and MacGregorowners.com. I sold it in three weeks, which I am very happy about.

I am looking at a Prindle 18 tomorrow. It sounds like a good one, but we will see. There just aren't that many beachcats around these parts, at this time.
  • Are you on east shore or Lake Mi? If so The Cat House is a great Nacra dealer and should have quite a few nice used boats.

Try putting a want add in these classifieds. That's how I found my Nacra.
  • I am in Chicago.
    I have sent an email to Cathouse, they only have one boat within my budget ($5000 or less) and it seems to need a lot more work than other boats on my radar. Cathouse is pretty far away too, probably 6 hours, and I have a couple of boats within 4 hours I have not visited yet. A Nacra would be great, but it seems there are more Hobies and Prindles within budget than Nacras.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.