Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Does a H17 need a title in FL  Bottom

• I finally found a boat thats right for me but the owner does not have title. I was wondering in FL does a sailboat over 16 ft need a title,I looked on the states website and it says that sailboats under 16 ft do not need a title, and I asked the current owner and he says it that it doesnt need one, but the boat is 17 ft so I am kinda confused. I just want to make sure it doesnt need one before I purchase it. Any advice would be appreiciated. Thanks
  • Hey MAV,

I have a Hobie 16 and wondered the same when I bought the boat. From what I understand it does not need a title. The trailer that you use to haul it does require registration. You'll need a model number or name for the registration of the trailer. FDOT is vague about the title requirements. Call the nearest Hobie dealer and ask. Kirk at Key Sailing in Pensacola can answer any Hobie question.
  • Martin is correct, YOU DO NOT NEED A TITLE FOR A BEACHCAT IN FLORIDA. A bill of sale is all you will need. He is also right about the trailer, even if the seller can't find the old registration but has the tag number you will be able to get a registration.
  • No registration needed... unless you attach some propulsion device to it. Then even a canoe needs to be registered.
  • If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be titled.
    (IN FL)

Florida Vessel Owners:
    The Facts and Figures

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/vslfacts.html#4
    Exemptions From Registration - non-motor-powered vessels
    Exemptions From Titling - non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length

if you can't find the last title owner.. your tax collector can instruct you on who was the last title holder/person and tell you how to get it resolved.

ALSO,, the rules require no one sell a boat (over 16 feet) without a title, nor are you supposed to buy one with out a title.... (all this is posted on the link above)

THAT BEING SAID.. i know 1 person who actually has a title... they are rare, no one i know has every been asked to prove title... and people who register thier beach cats have been told to do so by the tax collector (and they were wrong)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.