Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Homemade Beach Dolly?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• I once saw a dolly for a sunfish that had 1''galvanized pipe with reducers on each end down to 1/2'' pipe which had wheelburrow tires on it with a large washer and a cotter pin. I bet if one doubled up on the tires and had the 1/2'' extent out further then you could move a cat. One could also put the hulls between the two tire on each side. if i lived closer to the beach i would make a pair for my trac 14 and hobie 18

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat & Farrier Tramp
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • There is a guy in Wilmette that built an electrical dolly for his Getaway.
    The frame is a telescoping ladder, beach wheels make a solid axle and a third beach wheel (the dolly is a trike) has an electric motor.
    Where the boat sets on the beach wheels he has installed trailer rollers, and he has a winch that he uses to pull the boat onto the dolly/rollers.
    It is really sweet, I want to take a picture of the thing, but feel like it would be stealing his creative juices (that and I lost the camera and have not told my wife yet).
  • Guess its just me but when I consider things I need to invest my time in, how little free time I actually have and the value of that time, designing / building a set of homemade beach wheels that may or may not work is much more expensive that dropping 5 Franklins on a factory made set that function perfectly. Particularly since our beach this year has a 2' "cliff" to deal with this year.

I can see however the merits of the electric dolly if one wants to single hand and has no help.
  • kgatesmanThere is a guy in Wilmette that built an electrical dolly for his Getaway.

Please, next time you see this guy ask him to contact me (use the contact form) or to just document his creation and upload pictures. If he doesn't plan on marketing this thing he probably will be glad to share, if he is like most beachcat sailors he's a hell of a guy. icon_smile

Often our sailors invent/improve something and don't realize how many others would like to do something similar, they think their idea isn't "finished" or "perfect" enough to share but the ideas will inspire others.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quoteif he is like most beachcat sailors he's a hell of a guy.

LOL! but of course
  • Or Woman. We have a significant # of female skippers on our beach!
  • He/she is a he, I have not met him, but see him every other week or so and will put the word out for you Damon.

If I find my camera, I will get a pic. He has a lot of time and money into this thing, parts include at a minimum:
    1. telescoping ladder
    2. beach wheels
    3. third beach wheel
    4. winch
    5. battery
    6. motor
    7. folding ladder
    8. boat rollers
    9. control box

I was envious for a while, but the guys that work for the sailing center help me push in and out when I am alone. I can tip boatloads of teenagers for years before I have spent what this guy has on this machine.
  • Quote Particularly since our beach this year has a 2' "cliff" to deal with this year.

Larry, why? is Lake Michigan levels up 2'?
  • Yep the snowy winter and all this rain did it. The surf has carved a 2' drop in what used to be a smooth run to the water. We lost a whole boat row to the lake and the surf has carved a cliff in our beach. All those boats in the last row are now pushing onto the swimming beach and those folks have to contend with idiots setting up chair/blankets blocking their egress. Its worse on the north end where the drop is even steeper. Lost sand too. Once you are in the water, all baby head rocks.

We keep bugging the park district to grade it out. Aint working. Just means that my 5.8 needs a few extra hands to put her away. Fortunately we have plenty helpers.
  • Kenny,

His machine might be a legacy from when Wilmette was less service oriented. We have a few folks who migrated north for that reason. Seems like there is more focus on the sailing beach than there used to be.
  • lawrencer2003Yep the snowy winter and all this rain did it.

Wow! we have some erosion issues here as well and a MONSTER divit that the high tide floods and drains at.. and sometimes crazy sea grass but a 2' wall sounds real rough
  • On the south its a steep grade..north it is a wall.
  • I'm having the same issue (a small, steep grade) on the beach on Lake Michigan on the other side from Chicago (near Douglas/Saugatuck). Water is at a high level and storms have carved an edge in the dune. I have a Prindle 16 that I need to move from water's edge to our privately owned beach up by the cliff (on which our house sits) Would the harder (and less expensive) Tiger trax be ok to move it across the hard sand to about 15 feet of softer sand (with beach grass growing there? If not I'll just do as advised and get a set of Cat trax...Don't think I need the handle as we always have at least two and mostly 3 or more people to help. And yes, I'm a female sailor (owner of a Tartan 30 and the Prindle)
  • Tiger trax are pretty worthless unless you are rolling over hard pack. For soft sand Cat Trax are the way to go. Its only another $250 bucks.

• Thanks, I kinda figured that from reading prior forum topics on this. Do you think the cradles are necessary for the short distance I have to go?
  • cradles are a nice feature.. they prevent the cat from slipping off the axle. you HAVE to tie the lines (that come out the wheel axle) without the cradles. with the cradles.. its optional (depending on your boat).

I would recommend the cradles.. if you purchase them as an upgrade (as i did) its more work/expensive in the long run.

Also, make sure you order a set with holes drilled for a 8 and a 8.6' beam as you dont know what cat you will have in a few years (plus easier to sell)
  • Thanks for all the great advice as usual. I've been on the fence about the wheels but have decided it is probably necessary. I doubt I'll be up-sizing--have the Tartan that I sail on Lake St. Clair and Detroit River and race there. The Prindle is just for fun off the lakeshore on Lake Michigan.
  • sailconiThanks for all the great advice as usual. I've been on the fence about the wheels but have decided it is probably necessary. I doubt I'll be up-sizing--have the Tartan that I sail on Lake St. Clair and Detroit River and race there. The Prindle is just for fun off the lakeshore on Lake Michigan.

I am just north of you on the lake in Laketown Township. The problem is not wheeling the cat down to the water, the problem is bringing it back up. Anything over a 16 footer is a problem without proper & functional beechwheels. I am in the process of fabricating a set and will post step by step instructions if successful.
  • looks like we have a few catamarans along the beach where I am---based on what some members have said about fabricating beach wheels I'm not inclined to try it and will probably just get the cat trax. Wondering if anyone has an opinion about the cateez vs. cat trax???
  • Breakwater, I have a set of Catrax for Tornado with cradles & handle. Shipping might be high from Ca. Contact me from my ads on parts for sale section.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.