Homemade Beach Dolly?

has anyone built a beach dolly for any cat? because the 500 dollar price tag is a bit steep for me. I was thinking of making the same design as the cat trax (aluminum pipe with two carpeted ends.) but my problem are the wheels i dont know what would work.
thanks
JonBrown
what do you sail? boats over 350 lbs dont do well with beach trax (the hard rubber tires with deep treads in them) on sand. the best wheels are atv tires (as on cattrax)..

i have seen people try all sorts of things and in the end... not work to well..

yes they are pricey... but worth it to me.
Love to tinker, so of course I tried half a dozen contraptions. In the end I finally broke down and purchased a cattrax w/handle.
I have an earlier version....probably over 20 years old, and still working. The low flotation tires with the light weight plastic hub are the key elements in the equation. I tried ATV tires on one of my projects, but could only find steel hubs which added considerably to the weight.
And....the plastic wheeled version def does not work as well as the softer, rubber tired version.
the new cattrax use atv tires (i think thats what they are) and alum hubs. There are 10 or 12 delron bearings inside the hub.

the red plastic hubs are used on the eurotrax... which are not available in the US anymore i hear.
Know what? At $500 these things are too cheap to complain about. They are superbly engineered and the components are proprietary. You will be hard pressed to fabricate a substitute that you will be happy with or will work as well. If you take care of them they will last forever. Speaking as one who spends his weekends dragging boats up and down our beach, I am continually amazed that these things work as well as they do, day in and day out. I had to buy a set for my Nacra as I started out on a beach where I had the only big cat and the club wheels were cutting into my hulls. I was yowling in pain as well, but having owned mine for four years I've really come to see them as must have technology. Prior to this I was always impressed with this product, especially when hauling boats a quarter mile or so down to the low tide line.

I purchases mine for my for $500.. then purchased a bigger boat and had to pay about $100 to get an extender put on it.

Then i had to get cradles because my Mystere wouldn't stay put without them that was another $150... OUCH...

so if you order them... I suggest you order the ones that are pre-drilled for both 8 and 8 1/2' beams.
Hi: I would think that golf cart wheels would work equelly well.
Bill Jazz
WilliamJasulaitisHi: I would think that golf cart wheels would work equelly well.
Bill Jazz

I am no tire expert but i dont agree. plus the rims are not anything like what is used
Agree..The tires and bearings are patented and not available from any industrial supply store. The bearings are designed to resist sand and water.

I think mine set me back close to $650 as I added cradles and a loop for a cable lock.

Beach wheels are one of those things that seem like they are simple and shouldn't cost so much, but it turns out are pretty near impossible to "do it yourself".

I've seen (and published) a lot of recipe's for home made beach wheels, and some of them work under special conditions, like just rolling on concrete or hard packed dirt. But most of them turn out to be way too heavy, not durable, won't turn, aren't strong enough, rust, not enough ground clearance... etc.

I'm sure more attempts will be made and I want to hear about them, but mostly they just convince us that the commercial models are worth the money, even if it hurts.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
ok i am thinking of using these on my hobie 18 and i read that they are not very effective for a boat over 400lbs and i am not sure of a better way to move the boat? how hard is it to move the hobie 18 on these beach dollies?
thanks
Jonbrown
They work great. We move 18's, Nacra's, Tigers, all day long on em. You'll need a set of cradles with your wheels. I cannot imagine who would try to move a big cat without them.
lawrencer2003They work great. We move 18's, Nacra's, Tigers, all day long on em. You'll need a set of cradles with your wheels. I cannot imagine who would try to move a big cat without them.

andrewscott
WilliamJasulaitisHi: I would think that golf cart wheels would work equelly well.
Bill Jazz

I am no tire expert but i dont agree. plus the rims are not anything like what is used

lawrencer2003They work great. We move 18's, Nacra's, Tigers, all day long on em. You'll need a set of cradles with your wheels. I cannot imagine who would try to move a big cat without them.

Hi:It was't clear to me that you were you suggesting that golf cart wheels/rims would work.
Bill Jazz
Hi re Larry Smith response....wasn't sure as to your response that golf cat wheels/rims do work in making a beachcat launcher.
Bill Jazz
Oh no. I was stating that the only solution from my POV is a set of commercial beach cat wheels for an 18 vs trying a home made solution. I was responding to the suggestion that they don't work on an 18 or bigger cat. See below...

"...i read that they are not very effective for a boat over 400lbs"

Just for the record, over the last decade or so I've from time to time attempted to source components from which to build my own wheels. As I used to work for a large industrial supply company, I thought it would be easy. Not so much. I never attempted the project, just broke down and bought em.
Well in the case that they can't be built..

Any suggestions for a Tornado. Being that I've got a 10 foot beam, it presents it's own set of unique circumstances.
I am going to mould my own craddles with the boat upside-down, so that part is knocked out.

I sold my cat-trax with the old boat because the crossbar isn't long enough to work on my T.
We have a Supercat at our beach that sits on wheels. Two sets in fact. I believe that too has a ten foot beam.

Don't know where they got them but at least I can confirm they are out there!
BreakwaterAny suggestions for a Tornado. Being that I've got a 10 foot beam, it presents it's own set of unique circumstances.

The CatTrax with cradles
http://www.floridasailcraft.com/CatProducts.htm
can be bought with an axle exttender for the Tornado.
http://www.floridasailcraft.com/CatAccesories.htm

I've also seen wide boats like the ARC catamarans using sets of wheels with seperate axles and wheels for each hull, so you don't have to deal with a 10+ foot axle. Can't find an example of those at the moment. You could probably make them with the Wheeleez wheels from
http://www.wheeleez.com/beachwheelsPU.php

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
my friend has a mystere with 10 beams and they use cattrax with an extender in the middle.

http://www.geocities.com/mec_coleman/tip13.htm

I saw this in the links on the menu bar, and thought of this thread...no opinion on it though.

edited by: turtlecat, Nov 03, 2008 - 06:40 PM
I once saw a dolly for a sunfish that had 1''galvanized pipe with reducers on each end down to 1/2'' pipe which had wheelburrow tires on it with a large washer and a cotter pin. I bet if one doubled up on the tires and had the 1/2'' extent out further then you could move a cat. One could also put the hulls between the two tire on each side. if i lived closer to the beach i would make a pair for my trac 14 and hobie 18

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat & Farrier Tramp
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
There is a guy in Wilmette that built an electrical dolly for his Getaway.
The frame is a telescoping ladder, beach wheels make a solid axle and a third beach wheel (the dolly is a trike) has an electric motor.
Where the boat sets on the beach wheels he has installed trailer rollers, and he has a winch that he uses to pull the boat onto the dolly/rollers.
It is really sweet, I want to take a picture of the thing, but feel like it would be stealing his creative juices (that and I lost the camera and have not told my wife yet).
Guess its just me but when I consider things I need to invest my time in, how little free time I actually have and the value of that time, designing / building a set of homemade beach wheels that may or may not work is much more expensive that dropping 5 Franklins on a factory made set that function perfectly. Particularly since our beach this year has a 2' "cliff" to deal with this year.

I can see however the merits of the electric dolly if one wants to single hand and has no help.
kgatesmanThere is a guy in Wilmette that built an electrical dolly for his Getaway.

Please, next time you see this guy ask him to contact me (use the contact form) or to just document his creation and upload pictures. If he doesn't plan on marketing this thing he probably will be glad to share, if he is like most beachcat sailors he's a hell of a guy. icon_smile

Often our sailors invent/improve something and don't realize how many others would like to do something similar, they think their idea isn't "finished" or "perfect" enough to share but the ideas will inspire others.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Quoteif he is like most beachcat sailors he's a hell of a guy.

LOL! but of course
Or Woman. We have a significant # of female skippers on our beach!
He/she is a he, I have not met him, but see him every other week or so and will put the word out for you Damon.

If I find my camera, I will get a pic. He has a lot of time and money into this thing, parts include at a minimum:
1. telescoping ladder
2. beach wheels
3. third beach wheel
4. winch
5. battery
6. motor
7. folding ladder
8. boat rollers
9. control box

I was envious for a while, but the guys that work for the sailing center help me push in and out when I am alone. I can tip boatloads of teenagers for years before I have spent what this guy has on this machine.
Quote Particularly since our beach this year has a 2' "cliff" to deal with this year.

Larry, why? is Lake Michigan levels up 2'?
Yep the snowy winter and all this rain did it. The surf has carved a 2' drop in what used to be a smooth run to the water. We lost a whole boat row to the lake and the surf has carved a cliff in our beach. All those boats in the last row are now pushing onto the swimming beach and those folks have to contend with idiots setting up chair/blankets blocking their egress. Its worse on the north end where the drop is even steeper. Lost sand too. Once you are in the water, all baby head rocks.

We keep bugging the park district to grade it out. Aint working. Just means that my 5.8 needs a few extra hands to put her away. Fortunately we have plenty helpers.
Kenny,

His machine might be a legacy from when Wilmette was less service oriented. We have a few folks who migrated north for that reason. Seems like there is more focus on the sailing beach than there used to be.
lawrencer2003Yep the snowy winter and all this rain did it.

Wow! we have some erosion issues here as well and a MONSTER divit that the high tide floods and drains at.. and sometimes crazy sea grass but a 2' wall sounds real rough
On the south its a steep grade..north it is a wall.
I'm having the same issue (a small, steep grade) on the beach on Lake Michigan on the other side from Chicago (near Douglas/Saugatuck). Water is at a high level and storms have carved an edge in the dune. I have a Prindle 16 that I need to move from water's edge to our privately owned beach up by the cliff (on which our house sits) Would the harder (and less expensive) Tiger trax be ok to move it across the hard sand to about 15 feet of softer sand (with beach grass growing there? If not I'll just do as advised and get a set of Cat trax...Don't think I need the handle as we always have at least two and mostly 3 or more people to help. And yes, I'm a female sailor (owner of a Tartan 30 and the Prindle)
Tiger trax are pretty worthless unless you are rolling over hard pack. For soft sand Cat Trax are the way to go. Its only another $250 bucks.

Thanks, I kinda figured that from reading prior forum topics on this. Do you think the cradles are necessary for the short distance I have to go?
cradles are a nice feature.. they prevent the cat from slipping off the axle. you HAVE to tie the lines (that come out the wheel axle) without the cradles. with the cradles.. its optional (depending on your boat).

I would recommend the cradles.. if you purchase them as an upgrade (as i did) its more work/expensive in the long run.

Also, make sure you order a set with holes drilled for a 8 and a 8.6' beam as you dont know what cat you will have in a few years (plus easier to sell)
Thanks for all the great advice as usual. I've been on the fence about the wheels but have decided it is probably necessary. I doubt I'll be up-sizing--have the Tartan that I sail on Lake St. Clair and Detroit River and race there. The Prindle is just for fun off the lakeshore on Lake Michigan.
sailconiThanks for all the great advice as usual. I've been on the fence about the wheels but have decided it is probably necessary. I doubt I'll be up-sizing--have the Tartan that I sail on Lake St. Clair and Detroit River and race there. The Prindle is just for fun off the lakeshore on Lake Michigan.

I am just north of you on the lake in Laketown Township. The problem is not wheeling the cat down to the water, the problem is bringing it back up. Anything over a 16 footer is a problem without proper & functional beechwheels. I am in the process of fabricating a set and will post step by step instructions if successful.
looks like we have a few catamarans along the beach where I am---based on what some members have said about fabricating beach wheels I'm not inclined to try it and will probably just get the cat trax. Wondering if anyone has an opinion about the cateez vs. cat trax???
Breakwater, I have a set of Catrax for Tornado with cradles & handle. Shipping might be high from Ca. Contact me from my ads on parts for sale section.
I just built a set of trax with cradles and 6 tires for under $70. I will test this weekend and if they work well (which they should!!!) then i will post pics and instructions as well as parts lists and the price I paid.

So far they are very cheap, and very sturdy but weigh a little more then the real ones

I used a galvinived home grounding rod (at just over 8ft)for the axle so anything over 16ft might be to wide for this design
PDS624I just built a set of trax with cradles and 6 tires for under $70. I will test this weekend and if they work well (which they should!!!) then i will post pics and instructions as well as parts lists and the price I paid.

Almost exactly what we just did. We used galvanized tube, welded some ball bearings from a heavy duty conveyor belt system to old car rims, used old tubeless tires; cradles are made from wood boards covered with rubber mat. Next we will rust-proof the whole thing. All components came from scrap yards, below 100 bucks. If there is any interest, I can also post pics next week.
Here are the promised snapshots of our homemade beach dolly:
http://www.blueline-studios.com/dlfiles/P1090106.jpg
http://www.blueline-studios.com/dlfiles/P1090111.jpg
http://www.blueline-studios.com/dlfiles/P1090112.jpg

There are a few details to change, but generally it works flawlessly. Tubes are galvanized, yet the whole thing is painted to rust-proof it. Time will tell if it holds up...

If anyone wants more details, let me know. However, as nearly all parts are from scrap yards, design to some degree depends on what you can lay your hands on.
Wow.. thats interesting

how do you trasport it?
I would describe that as more of a trailer pulled by a person than beachwheels. Maybe go as far to call it hybrid.

Why not mount the rear cradles over the axle and ditch the rest, then you would have a transportable but somewhat heavy homemade beachwheels. BTW, great effort and unique.

--
Philip
--
Looks great if you live on the beach but for most trailering would be an issue. plus with the axel on the rear you have to lift the weight on the front of the boat to move. better than nothing but with trax the weight is balanced on center so all you have to do is guide it and try not to over balance front or back.

On this I would suggest maybe find a way to add a 3rd wheel to that front center that can swivel for steering then it perfect a dolly to leave at your beach house if your lucky enough to have one. I imagine it would be great for those whose have mast up beach storage space as well

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
Quoteplus with the axel on the rear you have to lift the weight on the front of the boat to move. better than nothing but with trax the weight is balanced on center so all you have to do is guide it and try not to over balance front or back

You could still center the axle under the center of gravity just like you do with a standard set of beach wheels. This looks like it would reduce the slipping around and need to tie the wheels on.

It does look a lot like a light weight trailer.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
That's pretty interesting looking. I'd like to see pics of it in action with the cat.

Not for everyone but if it works for you, at your location, with your boat, then it's perfect.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
It's just for the beach, not for the road as the boat stays on the beach; I do not need to transport it anywhere. Yes, it is heavy, but then it rolls... we simply cannot weld aluminum nor find the parts in the first place.

The wheels are positioned in the center of gravity; a single person can very easily handle it. It's pretty effortless to roll it into the water until the boat floats, or shove it underneath to bring it in.

The reason for having those pads is to leave the cat on the contraption all the time - difficult to do that with only an axle, plus I'd be worried about having the whole weight rest on the 2 cradles, a relatively small surface that might deform the pontoons after a while. Maybe no issue.

The vertical bar in the front; we planned to attach a small wheel, but it's not really necessary.
As long as it works for you.. then awesome!

PS catamarans have hulls, not pontoons. pontoons are for ... pontoon boats.. you know .. the slow, ugly, fat, aluminum (and other) boats that are good for cookouts.. and sunbathing.. and MOVING SLOW!!!!

:)

Yes i am a CATSNOB (and proud of it)
QuotePS catamarans have hulls, not pontoons.

OK icon_biggrin
Promise, I'll never call them that again!

As for deforming the hulls when each rests on a single cradle for a long time, is this in fact a non-issue? Or perhaps it depends on the type of boat.
I can't answer the deformation over time, but remember that most boats sit on a trailer on 4 rollers.

Years ago I remember watching someone raise their main sail while the boat was on beach wheels. They were pulling down on the halyard hard enough the wheels crushed the bottom of the hull. They did not have cradles on the beachwheels, but ever since then I have never raised the sails while the boat was on beach wheels.
It occured in an unusual situation and at least 10 years ago. But in was in Santa Cruz with some high surf, they didn't want to beach launch so they rolled the boat to the boatramp and were going to launch through the harbor. So sitting in the parking lot on beach wheels they tried to raise the sail when they crushed the hull. Don't remember the boat type but it wasn't a H16 or H18.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
catdanAs for deforming the hulls when each rests on a single cradle for a long time, is this in fact a non-issue? Or perhaps it depends on the type of boat.

I have never heard of a cat having problems from a craddle.

i (and most people here) raise our sails with wheels underneath with no problems (craddles and not)

There are issues with cats on rollers for long times (esp when snow builds up and adds weight to the cat)
Yes... resurrecting the past...
This setup seems easy enough.
http://sharkcatamaranclass.org/sharktrax.jpg

--
LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
Trac 18
Bloomington, IN
--
I have yet to see a homemade set work 1/2 as well as the real deal

outer wheels (or 4) are not needed for 99% of beachcats (sharks are 10' and heavy and i bet they WOULD work with the right set of cat trax)

iron bar??? why not make it out of anti-matter if more weight is desired :)

a line inside the tire area will get caught under the wheels.. and / or wrap around the bar.. both will stop your forward movement
Lon have you found a cat yet? Hopefully so. I think the design you found would work, not sure how well it would work versus the cat trax ones. The delon plastic needle bearing design for the cat trax bearings really works well in this application.

I bet the steel pipe wheels shown above would weight over 100 lbs. Probably better then carrying a cat up the beach, but would take extra effort to push compared to the cat trax.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
Cat trax are worth their weight in gold. I can move/launch my H16 by myself on the beach with them. I thought about the homemade version but one of my friends gave me some old cat trax and they worked perfectly after I patched the holes in the tires. Yes, they are expensive but you get what you pay for.
CatTrax only weigh 46lb.
Yeah the 4 tire setup like that is similar to the one used by Cateez in the past. If you are going to try and make your own use an aluminum axle to save weight, steel will kill you. Locally source it to get the length you need, I can get up to 20' lengths from a local metal supplier. The ties, are meant to be tied off to the shrouds to prevent the wheels from moving around under the cat (although I don't think anyone actually uses them). Use the widest/largest smallest tread (slicks if you can get them) tires you can find, or they will bog down in sand. The system on that web site would work if you need to move your boat around on a hard surface but would probably fail pretty quickly in the sand.

The cattrax system is so simple and effective, really pretty ingenious. I just got mine brand new and am so impressed with how easy they go together. I wasn't convinced about the price but after actually putting them together I think that, althoguh it would be possible to piece one together yourself, it would probably cost more in the end than buying it from Florida Sailcraft and then you still have to figure out all the sizing and layout.

What you are paying for are 2 sealed low pressure balloon wheels and hubs, 40 delrin (UHMW Plastic) needle bearings (dowels really) that go between the hubs and the axle, a 9 foot length of 2" dia 3/32" thick walled aluminum tube, some stainless cotter pins, rubber tubing and custom molded plastic end pieces that slide over the tube. The wheels themselves would run between $100 and $150 alone (plus shipping) and the rest of the pieces would easily make up the difference up to the $400 price tag.

There is definitely a reason that you rarely see them for sale in good condition and then they sell really quickly. Great product, fair price.

edited by: Wolfman, Jul 08, 2010 - 11:45 PM

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
QuoteThe ties, are meant to be tied off to the shrouds to prevent the wheels from moving around under the cat (although I don't think anyone actually uses them).

depends on the boat. if they have a sharp pointed hull (h16, g-cat) then the ropes are required (esp without cradles). Most dager cats have a rounded or flatter hull shape and you can get away without using the rope.

my cat has very flat hulls (behind the front beam) but due to the weight of my cat (520 without coolers and radio and anvil) the type of sand/grass and the steepness of our beach..i have to use the ropes or the wheels slide around... and just a few inches of center... ugggggg
I have never been someone who takes the easy route. Be a man/tough it out blah blah. We always dragged, pushed and grunted our cats to and from the shore, because we were men! Then I got a chance to help out at the "Dash" race held here at Surfside Beach. HOLY CRAP was it easy to move a boat with these things!

Soooo, after reading all this and pricing things on my own, I just bought a new set of cat-trax.

I was gonna park them under the boat, with the axle aligned with the hulls, on a couple of cedar 2x4's split just wide enough so the tires wouldn't bounce out. But even before I put the boards on, the tires won't go under the crossbeam. Now what do I do? Where do you guys store your beach wheels? I want them on the trailer as the last thing I need is something else in the garage. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

--
Repairable P18
--
On top of the hulls in front of the main beam.

QuoteWhere do you guys store your beach wheels?

On the beach next to the boat icon_biggrin

But seriously they are a pain to deal with on a trailer. On top of the hulls in front of the beam is also where I transported mine some. Also sometimes under the boat parallel with the hulls, but they were a pain to get in and out. I would load from the front of the boat.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
I just got a prindle 18-2 that was sitting on the trailer for a while. THe rear rollers left a pretty deep dent in the bottoms of both hulls. Luckty I have cradles up front and they did no damage. I don't know how long the boat was on the trailer or how tight it was strapped down but the dents perfectly match the rollers so I am guessing they aer to blame
i used to store my wheels under my cat, parallel to the trailer... i now place them on top of my hulls behind the rear cross beam (as my spin pole and spin bridal make it to hard to store in front).
I too am thinking about takint the plunge to buy a set of cat trax. I just refurbished the bottoms of my boat nad dragging it 2 feet up on the shore is no longer an option. thank you everyone for alll your input.
I'm not sure of your location, but there is a set of cat trax on the okaloosa craigslist(between destin/panama city FL)
get the cat trax with the cradles...i have the old one and the wheels can rub on the inside of the hulls and gouge them up...

--
Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
bill harris
hattiesburg, mississippi
prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
--
dewy2437I too am thinking about takint the plunge to buy a set of cat trax. I just refurbished the bottoms of my boat nad dragging it 2 feet up on the shore is no longer an option. thank you everyone for alll your input.

If you REALLY love your boat and bottoms... .you can make craddles out of "noodles" and bungie to slip on the bottoms of your hulls (4) to protect them while on the beach for rigging / de-rigging
Yakster is dedicated to producing inflatable kayak products of the utmost quality. We take great satisfaction in meticulously crafting premium inflatable kayaks designed for long-lasting performance.

https://yaksterusa.com/product/beach-kayak-cart/

Edited by yaksterusa on Nov 15, 2023 - 01:40 AM.
I know it’s an old thread, but it was interesting read. I’m in the camp that real Cattrax cannot be beat. I picked up a set years ago, for $100 CDN, THATS ABOUT $65 USD. I move a Hobie 18 with wings, Nacra 5.7 & 5.0 solo with them.
Here is how they are built, the issues trying to replicate for cheap. Click on photos for full size.
https://www.thebeachcats.…e9c799b739c6745ba81919ee

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 15, 2023 - 11:08 PM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
I tried to re-create them, and you can get most of the parts, EXCEPT those rims which are the key to the whole thing. And, by the time you spend all your time and effort doing that, you could have bought a set new or used and been sailing for a couple of weeks.

Maybe someone can find the hard plastic tires used for floating docks and o the same??? I dunno - but I transport the big 'ol pig across soft sand and nothing beats those inflatable slick Nanking's.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
For short trips, I flip them over on the hulls. If I'm traveling 2+ hours, I will place them under the hulls and on top of the trailer, forward of the front beam. Mainly to reduce travel windage. 90% of the time, I am ramp launching Franken and store the wheels on the Tornado trailer. Luckily, I can use the same set of wheels for both boats.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
You will never appreciate having real CatTrax more than after trying to build and use a home made version.
Look for a used set and be prepared to drive to get them, or save up and spring for a new set.
None of the praise for CatTrax in this thread is exaggerated.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
klozhaldYou will never appreciate having real CatTrax more than after trying to build and use a home made version.
Look for a used set and be prepared to drive to get them, or save up and spring for a new set.
None of the praise for CatTrax in this thread is exaggerated.

very good advice... my first boat had some homemade wheels and I hated them. Tires were 3-4" wide and really sucked in soft sand.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--