Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need help stepping the mast on my P19  Bottom

• Well I finally got to try my new Prindle 19 today. A friend and I got down to the river and tried to step the mast and it was just to much for us. I am older now granted but I didn't think I was over the hill yet. We followed the manual and I need a better way. I will make some stepping stands to raise the mast from the back but I want/need some type of pulley system for the front. I watched a couple of single handed stepping videos on you tube and they were using a gin pole mounted above the base of the mast and block and tackle connected to near the front forestay. I think I can use my rear stays to fashion side centering poles maybe connected to the gin pole. If anyone could share some ideas that have worked for a old man, I sure would like to get on the water.

Thanks from Titusville
  • There is a gin pole system called the EZ Step. you can find it at murrays.com. it is the best system around that i know of. you attach it to the trap wires to stop side to side sway, attach the forestay to the pole and crank up the mast with your trailer winch.

I used one on my Hobie18 mast. If your mast turns sideways to step all you need to do is bend out one piece on the pole.

Another method you could try is.... Attach a line to the end of your forestay.
    have your friend help you get the mast up off the trailer and hold it (on your sholder)while he gets infront of the mast and grabs the line to help you pull up the mast.

I also try to park at an incline to assist getting the mast up,

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 09, 2008 - 05:42 PM
  • I built my own mast step system and it's worked really great. I checked out the diagram that Andrew mentions, the one on the Murrays website, and built mine for about $75. I don't know just how much of a handyman you are but if you're interested, I can take pics and show you a step-by-step procedure. Maybe I should just post it on this website for all to benefit. icon_smile

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboand built mine for about $75. I don't know just how much of a handyman you are but if you're interested, I can take pics and show you a step-by-step procedure. Maybe I should just post it on this website for all to benefit. icon_smile

That would be a great addition to the "Beachcats Technical" album. Please do it. Parts list, instructions, and step by step useage pictures would help a lot of folks.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • one note of caution... the ez step system takes a while to dial in... i spent about 8 hours messing with the straps to get them right. if you dont have it perfect the mast will swing when you raise it. It was very frustrating and a pain to dial in but once set.. it works like a charm. I am sure this is true with any system.

A friend of mine put his mast through his house window the first time he tried it...

so have patience and dont park by your house... (or car, or neighbor, or ....)
  • OK you guys, just finished uploading all my data to Beachcats Technical under photo albums, check it out, hope this will give someone a winter project. Use heavy duty rubber bungees to attach trap wires to front crossbar, this allows for give when raising the mast. I've never had any problems except when a rope snapped,fortunately no damage as the mast was almost down. There was a nylon rope attached to the winch from the previous owner, I had that going over a pulley on the top of the ginpole. I switched to a strap which is much stronger. Just make sure that your bungees are good quality, even double up if you feel the need and check them regularly. For all my time and effort though, there will be an admission fee payable at the door, cash only. icon_rolleyes

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Robert did a great job with the illustrated mast raising instructions. Here's one of those linky things to help find his work.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=53380

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • great pics... nice set up... I personally am not patient to build that when i can buy the ez step system.

IMHO i would NEVER, EVER, NEVEREVER, ever ever, never trust my mast to a bungee if there are other people, cars, dogs (maybe cats) around. One time driving home from a sail... my mast caught a tree branch and I lost my mast off the trailer because i used bungee (and a parked car driver window was hit by my mast as i drove by it....).

I would learn a few knots and use rope... there is little chance of line breaking or coming lose if tied correctly....

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 13, 2008 - 10:21 PM
  • Follow up...

the car window i hit did not break... didn't even scratch... but i dont know how. i was doing about 20mph and i didn't even realize the mast was off the cradle ... waiting to hit something.... and it made a LOUD bang when it hit.
  • We step our mast (N6.0na) using a wench mounted on the mast cradle attached to a trap wire, and that's a heavy mast! My wife cranks the wench while I try to hold the mast straight as it goes up. Here's our procedure. With the boat securely strapped to the trailer and headed into the wind:
    1. Put the mast on the ball while crew holds the mast up in the back. Don't forget the pin!
    2. Hold the mast off the back beam while crew RUNS!! to the wench and starts cranking.
    3. Try to hold the mast steady as she goes up.
    4. Once all the way up, jump off the tramp and connect the forestay to the bridle wires.
    5. Loosen the wench and retrieve your trap wire.

We bought an EZ-Step, but it wasn't worth the trouble.

Hope this helps, and yes I'm an ol' fart too!

Rick
    Get-R-Done!
  • rvanemanWe bought an EZ-Step, but it wasn't worth the trouble.

No Doubt the EZ-Mast system is a pain to set up the first time... no doubt it takes 15 minutes of rigging to use (after you have it all adjusted) and is not exactly fun... but if you don't have crew (or are worried about crosswinds... and you want to sail...) it works very well
  • This is my second year using these same bungees for my mast step setup, they are the flat rubber type and made of good quality rubber, I inspect them before every hoist to make sure there are no cracks in the rubber. For safety reasons, you could even double up on the bungees on each trap wire but they don't really come under any major tension. A couple of times a shroud has snagged when I was not paying attention, the mast just sways sideways as the tension on one side increases. When I do realize the snag, rectify situation by lowering the mast, unsnagging shroud and re-hoisting. As can be seen from pics of setup, the system is very stable, I was able to step away from the rig to take the pics at various stages of lift, no problem man. icon_cool

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thats cool... to each their own.... i hope no one ever has any problems with using bungee's.. i am just giving my 2 cents from my own experience...
  • Have you consider taking your P-19 off the trailer ,put it on the beach.(At waters edge ) Put the mast on the deck & attach the shrouds .Turn the cat over on its side & move the mast on the ground into position so you can fasten the forestay ! You will need one person to keep the cat on its side by holding the righting line to keep it upright ! I secure a long line to a fence to hold the cat in position . You will also need one person to hold the bottom of the mast into the mast fitting ,while you secure the forestay. Good luck & let us know how it worked out ! Bill
  • A buddy of ours uses a portable electric winch - he hooks it to his bumper and it runs of the truck battery.
    He raises and lowers his mast all by himself.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/…lt151795-20&linkCode=asn

and for 85 dollars it a pretty cheap set-up.

Just another option for us guys that are starting to show our age.

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.