Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Choosing Nacra 5.7 - Hobie 18 - Prindle 18 ...  Bottom

• Great Site...glad I found it!
    I'm on the verge of buying a cat again and would like your valued opinions. I would love to find a good, used Nacra 5.7, but as we know... not easy to find.
    I'm considering a Prindle 18, but have never sailed one. I have owned a Hobie 16 and a Hobie 18, years ago. I much preferred the 18, as it was faster, and more to my liking.
    Can anyone offer a comparison to a Hobie 18 or possibly suggest another (used) Cat for consideration? Is it as fast as a H18 on a screaming reach? Any input you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    100% of my sailing will be done from the beach, so dagger boards are questionable. As we all know, they can be a pain if they get stuck.... while you're flying into shore, helped by a sizeable wave. I've been there....almost lost it a few times, and understand the pros and cons. I'm also a big guy, 6'1" and 240lbs and never sail alone, always with a friend.
    Is a Prindle 18 a robust boat suited to beach sailing? What are the problem areas, if any to examine closely? It seems Hobie parts would be easier to find. Would finding parts for a Prindle 18 be a real problem?
    I'm excited to get back into the sport. I always loved Cat sailing and after this past weekend, borrowing a friends Hobie 16, and the kids loving it, I'm sold again!
    I appreciate any suggestion and look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks!
  • I just happen to have a NACRA 5.7 for sale. Where are you located.
    I have gonre through this boat thoroughly, it is beautiful. I am going to look for a 5.8na or 6.0na but need to sell first. Look at the ad here on Beachcats. Or contact me at 602 677 8013. Brett
  • Hi Brett,
    Your cat looks great. I would have gladly considered it, had I not recently purchased a Prindle 18. I know, I know.....
    Thanks for the offer.
  • I'd sell the Prindle and buy the 5.7! I'm partial to the 5.7 though. icon_smile

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.