Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sol Cat 18 main sail to boom rigging  Bottom

• I have a sol Cat 18 and I am sure that the mail sail is not attached to the boom correctly. Their appears to be travler on the boom but no connections to the main sail and the main sail is just tied to the boom to an eyelet on the side of the boom. I don't know what everything is called. If anyone has any photos or a manual on how to connect the main to the boom it would be great.
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=35094

you can download the manual here - that might give you the answer

Good Luck

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Send me you email and I will send you a sketch of it..

I wont be out on the water to get you a pic for a couple of weeks yet as I am waiting for parts.

Scott

Scott.korbe@lllindberg.com
  • http://www.sailsalem.com/craigslist/cat.jpg
  • I have attached a small bloock to pass the line trough to make tensioning the main easier. But Breakwater did a great Pic.

• Thanks for the great pic. That clears it up.
    Do I adjust the tension of the main sail? Or
    As I am just learning and only a recreational sailer do I just set it and not change the tension on the main?
  • Pulling the outhaul tighter will create a flatter sail.
    Flatter sails are better for higher wind speeds, (and therefore faster boat speeds)

In slower wind-speeds you want a belly in the sails, so you ease the outhaul.

Probably a good rule of thumb for the outhaul position on your solcat relative to wind speed is:
    0-5kts. Outhaul loose
    5-10kts. Outhaul in Middle
    10+ all the way in (flat)
  • Let me try to explain why:

in light air.. you want a full (rounder) sail shape. this will give you more power.

in heavy air you want a flat shape. this will make the air slide off the sail faster, creating less power (you want less power in 20+mph wind).

the same for the jib, and even your rigging (fore and side stays). the tighter she blows, the tighter your rigging/sheeting goes.

your out and downhaul are micro-tuners.. your jib and main sheet are the main tuners. in heavy air it is better to let out the travler than the main to depower as letting out the mainsheet will allow the mainsail to get fuller(round) and create more power. In heavy air i let the travler out 3-6 inches to keep me from capsizing.
  • thompsoncraig,

Where are you located? I'm in So. Fla. and could help you out if your close enough.

Charlie
  • andrewscottLet me try to explain why:

in light air.. you want a full (rounder) sail shape. this will give you more power.

in heavy air you want a flat shape. this will make the air slide off the sail faster, creating less power (you want less power in 20+mph wind).

the same for the jib, and even your rigging (fore and side stays). the tighter she blows, the tighter your rigging/sheeting goes.

your out and downhaul are micro-tuners.. your jib and main sheet are the main tuners. in heavy air it is better to let out the travler than the main to depower as letting out the mainsheet will allow the mainsail to get fuller(round) and create more power. In heavy air i let the travler out 3-6 inches to keep me from capsizing.

With the Solcat, and perhaps all loose-footed mainsails, you must use the outhaul to flatten the sail. If your outhaul is loose, no amount of mainsheet traveler will flatten the sail. The reason for this (at least with the Solcat) is in the placement of the boom car to which the clew attaches. Tightening the outhaul pulls the car towards the end of the boom, loosening it allows it to move towards the mast. When the outhaul is loose, and the mainsheet is pulled very tight, the clew of the sail is actually pushed towards the mast, creating substantial draft in the sail. Allowing the mainsheet's traveler to move won't change the draft created as the boom is pulled down by the mainsheet.

This isn't contrary to what you said, it is in addition! When the wind's really blowing, I have to tighten the outhaul, downhaul, *and* let the traveler go. But from experience, the traveler didn't do much at all without the outhaul.

Another finicky adjustment (that might be particular to my solcat) is the downhaul. Once I've set it I can't loosen it easily. The rotation of the mast creates friction on the bolt rope, which holds the setting until I tack, jibe, or manually rotate the mast to relieve some friction.

Dan

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.