Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Guy... Intro and question  Bottom

• Hi all! I just bought an 82 Hobie 16 this weekend and took it out on the lake for a ride. My memories of sailing a dinky sailfish in 1972-75 had me confident that "I know how to sail"... anyway, I quickly learned that while the fundamentals are common, there's a lot that is really different with a cat vs single hull.

the first headache was getting blown backwards to the dock... a little humorous, but eventually, with a little help, was under way. Dang - this thing really scoots along.

2nd discover was that these things don't tack at all like a sailfish! uh, any web based, or simple tutorials on the basics of handling these things? would appreciate any pointers, tips, or fellow sailors who are in the greater sacramento area who want to head out next weekend.

thank,
    Andy
  • I had the same problems when I went from a mono to a cat.

I found the book "Catamaran Sailing From Start to Finish by Phil Berman"
    It goes into nice detail and pointers.

Enjoy the speed!

• Go to www.catsailor.com and through the online store are great teaching vidieos by Rick White you can get the entire series for about $100 well worth the money
  • Did a learn to sail Hobie course and this is what we learned about tacking:

1. Turn the rudders not too much (scrub off too much speed) and not too little. Hold the rudder constant throughout the turn.
    2. Pull the jib in tighter when about to tack. Don't release it till the main starts to fill.
    3. Push the main in the direction you want to turn so if you are turning starboard, push the boom starboard once you have switched sides

You need a bit of speed to tack these things (I too came from a mono). If not enough wind, I find it easy to cheat and gybe then head back into the wind.

That was enough knowledge to get me white sails two. Now you probably do something different for racing, but I am still at the learning to sail it without looking like an idiot stage.

• dont loosen the jib untill it back-fills the main...makes turning thru the eye of the wind easier.
  • If you find yourself in irons and blowing backwards, turn the rudder to the opposite and it will push the back of your cat to advantage your jib out of the eye of the wind.
  • thanks for the tips. most of it, i understand! but i guess i have a new language to learn... it sounds like my biggest error was attempting to accelerate through the turn, probably pushing the rudders too hard, and causing it to pretty much stall. which would explain why it would favor going in the direction i was going in rather than coming about.

for purposes of your laughter and to show just how ignorant i am... uh, starboard is the left side?

thanks again!
  • Hell, we were all (is) ignorant sometime!! Just keep asking the questions to get all the knowledge you can - there is a wealth here. The books mentioned above are well worth keeping next to the throne. Half Price Books is my store. Just keep it fun..it ain't golf!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.