Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First Cat  Bottom

• Greetings all,
    My name is Jake, I live in the northern portion of San Francisco Bay Area, and I just acquired a Hobie H16 for myself and my son. The boat, "Freckle," was acquired from a gracious party in Alameda, CA. "Freckle" was built in 1970 so she is a little old, but she doesn't seem that much worse for wear. As is probably common with 30-year-old boats, "Freckle" has a little delamination, but only on the top decks aft of the trampoline. "freckle" is equipped with a serviceable mainsail and jib (there is some fading), and a low-profile 5:1 ratcheting Harken mainsheet system. "Freckle" came with 4 trapeze wires and a new trampoline in-the-box (in the plastic bags no less). All other equipment is stock and present (rudders, spars, all standing rigging, running rigging etc). The price for "Freckle" was removing her from her location (free). Did I get a good deal?

I've always wanted a Cat, and I want to teach my son to sail.

edited by: wrxboy76, Jul 06, 2008 - 11:04 PM
  • Awsome, good for you, As i am a new cat owner as well I am not much help but You definately got a good deal, even if it is shot and all you do is part it out and make some cash while you look for a good one but for free even with bad delamination I say sail it till it breaks.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • A H16 in sailable condition for free is always a good deal. Kudos and enjoy!
  • Congrats on "Freckle". You should consider bringing it in to a cat shop and make sure it is sound before you sail in the ocean. Softhulls near the beam (or tramp stands on the h16) can cause a fatal hull failure. nothing more exciting to be flying a hull, and have it fall off! This is more common infront of the tramp than behind (i rhink)... but still serious and worth looking into.

You should replace 30 year old rigging, the stays MAY be ok... but why not be safe. $150-200 or so to replace the rigging will be better than demasting in the ocean.

i dont know how far you are from santa cruiz but Jerramy seems to be a great resource for hobie repair/info/gear etc.

jeremy@surfcitycatamarans.com
    Homepage http://www.surfcitycatamarans.com
  • totally agree with andrewscott. show that free boat a little love and it will become a safer family boat. only real thing i could add is dont forget to show the trailer some love too...pack the bearings, and check for rusty u-bolts.
  • Hey all,
    Thanks for the replies. I've been going through the boat and identified and fixed several issues that I found. I replaced the old tramp with the new one that came with the boat, bought 44' of 3/8" mainsheet, replaced the Harken double on the boom with a new E-bay procured low-profile triple, rplaced some rivets on the rear beam, replaced the downhaul cheek block etc. I found a broken gudgeon, so I bought a new one on E-bay. I think the last things that I've identified for repair are the rudder cams. So hopefully my brother and I can take the boat out for a shakedown run before the end of the month. icon_cool
  • Man thats great! let us know how the maiden voyage goes. have a great time with "Freckle".
  • Free gives you a lot of leeway to spend on Freckle. To echo: Trailer bearings & wiring. I am concerned about the location of the delamination as those areas are pressure & flex points. If you can take it to a dealer to see about reinforcing all the better. Sounds like you are pretty handy and familiar with the breed so you may already have decided the delam is not a concern. Seal all possible hull leakage points with clear silicone.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.