Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Lake Lewisville launch site near Pier 121  Bottom

• I recently moved to the Dallas area and store my Nacra 5.5 uni at Pier 121 on Lake Lewisville. This allows me to keep the mast stepped when the boat is not in the water, but unfortunately means that I am launching inside the Pier 121 breakwater.
    As many of you know, launching inside a busy harbour, especially one with a sign advertising 'beer to go' at the gas dock, is less than ideal.
    Does anyone know of a launch site near Pier 121 that would allow me to beach launch outside of a harbour area?

Thanks,
    Rich
  • Rich,

Hobie Fleet 23 that sails from Lewisville Lake Park. It's on the west side of the dam. There's no marina specifically there, however there are lots of people to help. Everyone trailers in and out. The good news is that the Hobie Fleet has a deal with the city of Lewisville that we can leave our cats on the beach from Friday night until Sunday night. That's where I sail, even though I live in Plano and drive by Pier 121 everytime I do sailing.

In addition to Hobie's there are a few Nacra's and Prindles that have been warmly welcomed in the fleet.

Here's a map to the park and a link to the Hobie Fleet 23 site.

http://maps.google.com/ma…ive&z=15&om=1&iwloc=addr

http://www.hobiefleet23.com/
  • Thanks Micheal.

I dropped by Hobie Point (and Crappie Picnic area which I found pretty funny)when we first got to the area and thought it looked pretty good. The advantage of Pier 121 was that I got to leave my mast stepped and save the 45 minute process each time that I wanted to go out. However, it is probably worth the time due to the lack of room inside Pier 121 harbour.
  • Micheal,

Where are you in Plano? I live at FM423 and Lebanon in Frisco.

Rich
  • I live at Legacy and Coit in Plano. I sent you a private message with my email address. Send me an email and I will forward you an event notice for Fleet 23 this weekend. The fleet is having a Snooze and Cruise at one of the member's house who lives on the lake very close to you. They are planning a fun race on Saturday at noon. I can't make it to the event but I'm sure they would welcome you if you want to go.
  • I have my Prindle 16 at Pier 121 too. There is a potential for a boat to get in the way but I haven't had any problems. It was the best place I found to keep my boat (and cheapest) and yes, being able to keep the mast stepped is a huge plus. The wind is usually great for launching out of there since the wind is typically from the south.

I have been out with the Hobie fleet at Hobie Point a few times and it is nice, but you pay for that each time (or get the yearly pass) and there aren't any bathrooms or other facilities close. You also have to store your boat somewhere else and pay for that in addition to getting into Hobie Point.

So I personally have found it better to put up with the extra traffic at Pier 121. Let me know if your interested in sailing sometime.
  • I just got an email from Jay at Pier 121. Apparently I can launch from East Hill Park which is just outside the Pier 121 break wall. This seems like a pretty good solution since East Hill Park has a sandy area and is pretty wide open.
    I would be more comfortable launching inside the harbour if I had a jib. The problem is that the traffic is generally obeying the harbour speed limit, and I can't. Once the main is up, I am way over 5 knots.
    I have even had trouble keeping both hulls in the water in certain wind conditions. Tried running with lots of downhaul and outhaul set to max to flatten the main, but the boat is not made for tight areas.

I am interested in sailing right now! Unfortunately my boat is getting a couple of minor issues fixed and won't be ready for a couple of weeks. Once I have it back I'll let you know.

This might seem like a strange question, but do people sail year round in Texas? It looks like the water at my last sailing spot (Benton Harbor, Lake Michigan) doesn't really get much warmer than Lake Lewisville is at the coldest time of the year.
  • I had talked to Jay to see if I could launch just to the east of the Pier 121 boat ramp (there in the mud) and he had to call corporate to see. He came back and said that would be fine but I would be liable if I left any big ruts. He wasn't very familiar with catamarans and had never seen them launch. He was trying to figure out why I couldn't just launch off the concrete ramp. So that is interesting that he said you could launch from East Hill Park. How do you get over there without paying to get in?

I just got my own boat a couple months ago but I've grown up around catamarans. So I haven't sailed mine in the winter but yes, you could sail year round here, at least most of the year. You would just need the right clothing to stay warm. The wind is typically pretty good in the winter too. There are obviously days that are too cold but you are probably good to go 90% of the year, especially since you are probably used to the cold weather in Michigan.

• Apparently you tell them that Jay said to launch there due to conditions and not to charge you.
    I don't know if you can get there on beach wheels, but that would be the best solution.

Most of the time in Michigan I sailed in a Ronstan skiff suit (Farmer John stretch entry) and really didn't find it cold at all. I have a 3 mil Ronstan titanium steamer for early/late season. It seems to work best when water temperature is less than 55 F, but not quite stiff.

Southern Michigan is not really all that cold. We moved there from Ottawa Canada and I pretty much put away my winter clothing. You are good for the winter with a sweater and a padded shirt.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.