Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sealing Mast  Bottom

• I have a prindle 16 and flip it often. I've been told that it is important to seal the top of the mast so the water doesn't go inside it and possibly cause the boat to sink when capsized. Is this really that important? If so, how can I seal the mast? Thanks.
  • It may not be as much of an issue on a 16, but on the 28 foot plus masts, you need all the advantage you can get going solo. Bear in mind the leverage that is needed to pick up ten pounds at the end of your mast from the fulcrum point of your hull.

I have a 28 foot mast. Sealed in any way possible. Rivet holes etc. When you are on your side and blowing out to sea, you will want all the advantage you can get. I recommend sealing. Marine grade silicone is what I use, applied flush with fingertip around the head of the mast and all rivet holes.

edited by: Deepsees, Aug 15, 2008 - 03:18 PM
  • i have seen 5 people unable to right a boat because the mast was full of water. When it was finally righted. the water shot out like a water fountain for 20 minutes
  • By all means seal the mast, any where there is a through mast fitting seal with a good grade marine silicone. If you have a pin hole size leak in the top of the mast and you turn the boat turtle the water is forced in with a lot of pressure. Most divers understand this principle.
  • Thanks for all your advice.
    Andres
  • this may be a stupid question but how would sealing the mast help when you have the main sail rail all the way up the mast? I have a 18 ft hobie cat. would it be worth my while sealing the mast?
  • Ecker786this may be a stupid question but how would sealing the mast help when you have the main sail rail all the way up the mast? I have a 18 ft hobie cat. would it be worth my while sealing the mast?

your mast track is not completely open to the mast extrusion.. it is a track with walls and a back.

yes you should seal all the rivets, holes, woodpecker homes, etc.. dont seal the base plate as any water that does get in.. needs a way out
  • andrewscotti have seen 5 people unable to right a boat because the mast was full of water. When it was finally righted. the water shot out like a water fountain for 20 minutes

My first cat an H16 i went over for the first time and it went turtle on me.When i got it righted and water was pissin out like one of those little boy water-fountain statues for a good while.After that i sealed the whole thing and dropped it in the Bay stood on it to see if there was any air bubbles.Bingo fixed.
  • If you don't seal the bottom of the mast and you turn the boat turtle and can not right it for awhile and that portion is under water, bad things can happen.
  • I forgot to mention that when we sealed the mast completely we drilled and tapped a hole very near the bottom of the mast, put in a screw and sealed that. After we capsized a few times, we always pulled off the silicone backed out the screw to see if there was any water in the mast, if there was, we checked the entire mast again and resealed it. Boats are so much easier to right if the mast is water tight.
  • HULLFLYERIf you don't seal the bottom of the mast and you turn the boat turtle and can not right it for awhile and that portion is under water, bad things can happen.

Could you be a little more specific on that :)
    What will happen--maybe I can't see the obvious...
  • The mast fills up with water and the boat is very difficult to right.

Once the mast is full, the only way that I have found to right one (without having a helper boat) is to swim down the the top of the mast and bring the main halyard back up to the surface. Attach a PFD to the main halyard and pull it to the top of the mast. Then stand on the opposite hull from the place where the PFD submerged and attampt to get the boat to a normal capsized position. This whole process is a huge pain, so it is better if the whole mast is sealed.
  • if you turtle (go completely upside down).. and you have anyway in the mast that lets water in... your in for more work to right the boat.

• That's quite the understatement Andrew.

A boat with high volume hulls and a mast full of water can be next to impossible to right without outside help. Lower volume hulls sink easier and give you a fighting chance.

Turtle something like a Tornado or an 18m2 and let the mast fill and you are out of options. They are very difficult to right from turtle without water in the mast.
  • I went turtle because of a Non-sealed mast and almost lost my boat! It took two power boats with 200+ Horsepower each to right me.

Heres what i did to fix it.

removed mast head and cleaned inside of mast to about 12-14" down the inside of the mast.

I then took a cooler and placed it flat on top of my mast and applied pressure to it leaving a outline of the mast profile. Cut out two pieces of cooler to slip down into mast.

Next i put a big generous bead of silicone around the inner edge of the mast about 4" down from top. I then pushed the piece of foam in and pushed it about 10-12" down the inside of mast with a stick. I then applied more silicone all around the edges to ensure seal.

Do the same with peice # 2 of foam.

What this does....This seals off the mast from future leaks. I sealed all rivets and joints, but if one of these is to fail i wanted added protection so this was the best way for me. This method will only allow the top 12-14" of the mast to fill with water incase of a failure.

Silicone: I used silicone that was in a aerosol type caulking tube from the auto parts store. It made it very easy to apply to the top of the foam when it was way down inside the mast.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.