Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How much weather helm?  Bottom

• Last season I put up with a H16 with a ridiculous amount of weather helm. On a windy day (20 kt winds) it really took both hands to and a considerable amount of leg strength to hold the boat on course. I am not an overly strong guy by any means, not weak either 5'9" 170 lbs. Also the leeward rudder always would kickup..not helping the situation at all.
    My question is how much weather helm should there be? I have never sailed another beach cat so I have no reference. I have heard it should fell like pulling 10 lbs at most. Any input?
  • there should be as much (or little as you want).

A properly adjusted rudder should have only a slight amount of weather helm. Adjusted to your comfort level.

Lea helm could lead to a fiery flaming death... just kidding but lea helm means... if you fall off the boat... or slip into a coma... or drop the stick... you turn away from the wind and POWER UP.

This is usually controlled by the amount of rake on the rudders and rake on the mast...
  • andrewscottthere should be as much (or little as you want).

A properly adjusted rudder should have only a slight amount of weather helm. Adjusted to your comfort level.

Lea helm could lead to a fiery flaming death... just kidding but lea helm means... if you fall off the boat... or slip into a coma... or drop the stick... you turn away from the wind and POWER UP.

This is usually controlled by the amount of rake on the rudders and rake on the mast...

Weather helm saved my rear big time. I was on the wire for the first time, my girlfriend at the helm. I ended up off the back of the boat upside down with the trap wire wrapped around my leg effectively holding my upper body underwater. My girlfriend freaked out and instead of heading into the wind tried to free my leg. The boat ended up rounding up towards the wind by itself, thank God.
    After that the first thing I show anyone that comes on for a first time is how to stop the boat and make them do it a few times.
  • mma600psi
    Weather helm saved my rear big time. I was on the wire for the first time, my girlfriend at the helm.

Wow... scary. I dont think i would allow anyone to helm my cat (while i was on the wire) who didn't really know how to sail.

That being said.. i have let people steer who were not very experienced (and have capsized because of it) but always try to make sure i can grab the helm in a pinch...
  • mma600psiMy question is how much weather helm should there be? I have never sailed another beach cat so I have no reference. I have heard it should fell like pulling 10 lbs at most. Any input?

Here's a illustrated article that explains weather helm, what causes it and how to adjust. Lot's of detail but if you absorb it all you will know it all!

What's All This About Weather Helm?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I think that anyone you sail with should learn how to drive the boat, and the sooner the better. Every time you go out you girlfriend, wife or sailing partner/crew should take the helm for awhile, yes even in heavy air. Most of us sailors know that if our crew falls off that we can get back to them. But if you fall off CAN THEY GET BACK TO YOU ?
    You can just as easily fall off the boat as skipper as you can from the crew spot. You will feel much better knowing that the other person on the boat has some knowledge about a man over board situation. Teach them how to drive the boat each and every time you go out, you learned how to sail and so can they.
  • I sail solo most of the time, so I set the boat up to have move weather helm than I would if I had crew. Even so, the tiller is not that heavy.
  • rpiper138I sail solo most of the time, so I set the boat up to have move weather helm than I would if I had crew. Even so, the tiller is not that heavy.

I agree.. you can have some helm without pain.

• Great article. All of the H16's I've sailed had a lot of weather helm. They have all been rentals, but I have never thought about the cause or correction until now.

Now for my off topic IT question...

I am still in the "reading everything I can phase" of owning my first cat and exploring the site for more content. I assume this is from the on the wire archives somewhere. When I try the Article Archive link http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-Archive.html from the side bar I can find the article (and plenty more), but clicking on any articles from that link gives a "Error! Sorry! Bad arguments passed to API function" error. Should I be searching some other way for articles.

edited by: svanlare, May 07, 2009 - 01:22 PM
  • svanlareWhen I try the Article Archive link clicking on any articles from that link gives a "Error! Sorry! Bad arguments passed to API function" error. Should I be searching some other way for articles.

In technical terms.. The archive is borked. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding TheBeachcats.com and moving to a stronger server, so it probably won't get fixed right away.

To search the site the best way right now is the Google search box on the home page, top right.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • LOL
  • I like that article on weather helm~~good link, good reading. What else ya got in here Damon?? I gotta go snoopin when I have some more time....Also a good subject to show & tell someone how to sail a cat so they can 'hopefully' save yer arse if ya fall off. Not many people go out with me anyway, but a time might come up some day..... No BORKING allowed..... icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • No Borking while you sail!?!? icon_eek

Thats it....I quit!

icon_cool

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.