Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14 questions  Bottom

• Serious Newbie questions.

I know a bit about sailboats but nothing about Hobies. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Just bought a 1978 14ft. Rigging seems in good shape. Sail is wasted and will need replaced. Trailer looks homemade and scary, I think there are pieces of sign post and guard rails on it. Need a new trailer!

Biggest part I don?t like is cracks on the tops of the hulls in the gel coat and the tops will also flex and pop when I push on them. They don?t crack but they do flex.

Is it normal for the fiberglass on the tops of the hulls to flex like this? Is it old and just become brittle? Was the Hull designed not to be walked on? Can I stiffen it some way?

What can I do to refinish the gel coat? It is Tan in color and looks like my Moms 1970?s Green fridge and stove. Can I strip the gel coat and paint it with a two part Urethane or primer that will soften the gel coat?

About an inch of water inside each hull and the foam blocks are intact. Can you fill the insides with that stuff they pump into your walls? Or Stuff in a can? I have used this procedure on Wooden Kayaks in the buoyancy tanks.

Has anyone ever tried the DIY sails at Sailrite?

Does anyone own a Castle Craft trailer? I?m leery of bolt together trailers. If so is it holding up well?

Already know the lesson on boats, ?Hole in the water?! Wife just deployed to Iraq, and need a project to take my mind off things. I think I have it!

Thanks????????.Bobby
  • Welcome to the wonderful world of cats~!

gunpilotSerious Newbie questions.
    Is it normal for the fiberglass on the tops of the hulls to flex like this?

SOME (a little) FLEX IS OK... SOFT SPOTS THAT PUSH IN ARE BAD!

Is it old and just become brittle?

PROBABLY

Was the Hull designed not to be walked on?

ABSOLUTLY NOT! WILL WEAKEN THE ALREADY BRITTLE HULLS AND LEAD TO DELAMINATION (seperation of glass and foam)

Can I stiffen it some way?

YES.. YOU CAN INJECT RESIN IN THE FOAM BOARD.. SEARCH THIS SITE AND YOU WILL LEARN HOW

What can I do to refinish the gel coat?
    LOTS OF METHODS...
    I BET YOU COULD GET GOOD RESULTS WITH WETSAND.. OR VERTGLASS (Search site)

Can I strip the gel coat and paint it with a two part Urethane

YES,,, BUT THATS A BIG JOB.. SAND... NOT STRIP

Can you fill the insides with that stuff they pump into your walls?

I WOULDN"T .. could get waterlogged

Has anyone ever tried the DIY sails at Sailrite?
    I HEAR THEY ARE GOOD... BUT you need to know how to sew sails.... not for the newbie.... I guess you could try... but not a cheap lesson.. i would buy used before i tried to sew my own.. plus you need a professional grade sewing machine for the heavy parts...

Wife just deployed to Iraq, and need a project to take my mind off things. I think I have it!

Best of luck! post pics, keep us informed
    Thanks????????.Bobby

• Thanks for the Input dude. It is definetly delamination! Sides flex in and out, tops pop and you can hear it pulling away from the foam. Appreciate the injection idea, I was about to re-glass the whole top and add another layer.

Any Ideas on what to inject the epoxy with?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.