Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to improve the hull to hull stiffness of a HC16  Bottom

• Hi,

Last week I went sailing and I noticed that our HC16 is much less stiff than it used to be. Now there is much more play between the two hulls (one hull being fixed and the other one can still move up and down a little). I did some search and I found out that it is the natural consequence of wear and tear.
    However, I would like to get some recommendation on how to fix it if possible. I highlighted the following items for discussion:

? I am currently using a nylon NUT for the pylon bolts. Would it beneficial to replace it with a SS nut that can be properly torqued? Why is there a nylon nut on the first place?

? Does the torque of the Dolphin striker nuts have an impact on the stiffness of the boat? Could I gain some by applying more torque?

? I read that tightening the tramp would increase the stiffness; is it true?

? I have also read that some stiffness could be gained by either epoxying the castings and/or by adding some thin shim in between the castings and the pylon. Is it true?

Any reply is surely welcome J.
    Sincerely,

Marco
  • Your first action should be to tighten the tramp. It makes A WORLD of difference on some boats. you should even purchase the tramp tool Hobie sells. it works great.

nylon is used so it doesn?t suffer rust (galvanic corrosion) and seize

Epoxy, welding, and other semi-to-permanent methods may be good in the short term, but when it comes to a later repair, they can cause a world of problems.

I had flex in my Hobie16 (and 18) and they do effect the boat but a little bit wont kill you. where are you located?
  • Dear Andrew,

Thank you for the prompt response. I am located in Santa Barbara, CA. Although the lack of stiffness is not impacting my sailing much, I am afraid that it could cause some fatique damage to the hulls and/or pylons.

Does the torque of the Dolphin striker nuts have an impact on the stiffness of the boat? Could I gain some by applying more torque?

Would it beneficial to replace it with a SS nut that can be properly torqued (Ss would not be affected by any corrosion)?

Thanks,

Marco
  • i think the striker is there to add stiffness and strenght.. but i dont know about the correct torque needed or effect of over torque...

You really should call your local Hobie shop and ask them. I dont know the answers to these questions and they definatly would.

PS - SS does infact rust if in contact with other (disimilar) metals and saltwater.

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 13, 2008 - 01:59 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.