Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Turbo 14 rigging  Bottom

• Recently bought a '76 Turbo-14 and have a raft of questions.
    1. Holding up the mast
    We erected the mast on the trailer and have questions about securing it. We initially had it supported by 4 wires: the two that are supposed to hold it up and the two wires that I now know are the trapeze wires. When we raised the sail, a gust of light wind caught it and pulled the mast over. Luckily, we were right there to catch it. But how is the mast secured in the upright position? Just by two wires that attach to the pontoons a little aft of the mast? Seems that if two wires went to the fore cleats it would be more secure.

2. The jib furler appears to string between the two fore cleats on the pontoons. There is an indentation in the bottom of the furler that makes it look like it is supposed to sit in some gear, but I can't see this on any pictures. Where does the aft end of the jib tie down?

3. The two trapeze wires appear to hang down from the mast. The wires end in a toggle handle and then a ring-connected to another ring. HOw does this work? I d/l the jib rigging guide, but this is unclear.

4. If I use the spinaker, do I install it like the jib with the furler?

5. Should pulling on the cord furl or unfurl the jib?

Thanks!
    Greg

tobin@bmi-md.com
  • I know we have some experienced H14 sailors here so I hope they will jump in. It sounds like you have started your catamaran sailing career with no local help. Where are you located? We might find you someone close by. Fill in your profile ( link in main menu ) to let us know a little about you.

I'm glad you didn't drop the mast on your heads or your car! The mast is held up by three wires, the two side shrouds and the forestay. The forestay attaches to twin wires called the bridle, on the Turbo, these run from the furler down to the bows.

If you've already got the rigging guide, that much should be clear. Maybe some pictures would help. Here is an tuning tips article by a Hobie 14 champion. Since you are just starting out, you might want to rig the boat as a standard 14 and deal with the jib and (especially) the spinnaker later.

Hobie 14 Tips Article

Hobie 14 Rigging Pictures

Rigging the Hobie 14 Spinnaker

Good luck and come back with any questions!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Sorry it's taken so long for one of us 14 owners to answer...been sailing alot lately...hopefully you have too and this answer isn't necessary. But then again maybe a future 14 owner can use it.

Ok. Yes, as stated above there a three wires. The forestay (which on our boat is the jib) is the last point to connect in raising the mast. Both shrouds should be on and tangle free as you raise. I can step the mast by myself, which is why I keep this boat around. If you would like that tip feel free to to email me. I know its on the forum as well.

2. The furler in my turbo sits in a ring centered in the bridle (installed from the bottom) and is held by the tension of the forestay (jib). When the forestay isn't connected it has a nasty habit of not staying put. One or two hard trips to the ground can bring an early death to this pricey piece of equipment. So that aft end you were asking about on the jib is answered here. It is the forestay and it connects to the furler.

3. The trapeeze ends attach to shock cords the go under the tramp and probably thru and eyelet on your boat. If there are eyelets and no cord it just needs to be replaced. About 10 bucks on line or at your local sail shop. There are quite a few ways to attach your tramp wires to the shock cord..depending on if you have a hi-lo adjuster or not. just look at photos in here. you will get a better idea about this, cause its pretty hard to put into words. The other ring you stated is probably the dog bone and it connects to the diaper / harness you wear when you are hiking out. Tons of choices in this area too if you need to buy.

4. There are a few ways to rig a spin, and on your cat its probably "boat specific." Most use a snuffer bag system on the boom, or a bag on the tramp, not a furler. This is the hardest sail to rig as it has ropes galore. Its best you get some local help for this...improper deployment of a spin can ruin the sail or just be plain frustrating. Hobie fleets are everywhere...make friends.

5. Pull and cleat off rope to furl jib. To unfurl, uncleat rope and pull the jib sheet.

Hope this helps. Now a few things about your boat. I didn't see a profile for you so I will assume you are a novice. The insight on profiles really helps us to give you the right advice. It really is a single person boat. I have taken one light crew with me out but it's not advised I'm 6'0 200# and thats about all the bouyancy that boat has. any heavier and the tendancy to pitch pole or capsize is way up there. Also I couldnt imagine using a spin in anything but really light air and if your a novice just put that sail in storage till the basics are mastered. Might want anti pitch pole bow foils...just a thought, could save you a lot of spills and you might be able to drive the boat a little harder. At the least it would make the boat more forgiving. WEAR your pfd always...also practice capsizing and correct righting technique, and have a blast as you learn.

Really hope this helps.

edited by: turtlecat, Aug 13, 2008 - 12:34 AM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.