Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast step casting loose  Bottom

• I just bought a 1981 Hobie 18 today. Seems to be in good shape overall, but I have a question for someone experienced with this model Hobie.

After stepping the mast I noticed the 2 rivets that hold the mast step casting to the front crossbar seem to be loose. I cannot move the casting by hand when the mast is not attached, but with the mast up I can see movement between the casting and front crossbar. Are the 2 rivets the only thing holding the mast step casting in place? I certainly don't want to loose my mast! If I need to replace the rivets, are the rivets special? Are they hard to drill out & replace? The Hobie catalog I have states the rivets require a setting machine which is not available in a hand tool.

Thanks for your help!

• You need to fix this, I don't think you'll lose your mast, but the dolphin striker is an important structural element and this lets it flex.

You probably can't re-rivet in the existing holes, the holes are probably elongated in the beam.

Luckily this has been addressed by Hobie years ago, the replacement mast step has four rivets instead of two and they are in different positions than the two existing ones.

Check these pictures of replacing the mast step in the Beachcats Technical album.
    Replacing Hobie 18 Mast Step

When you do yours, take pictures please and document any problems you run into to help the next H18 owner.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • It's not identical, but when I redid my hobie 14's mast base, I used ss rivets which requires the use of a pneumatic rivet tool (relatively cheap). On my first try the base was still a little loose. Second try I used a big C-clamp to hold things tight during the riveting. Nice and secure now.

edited by: turtlecat, Aug 19, 2008 - 09:57 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.