Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Florida Keys Cat Sailing  Bottom

• A few of us are talking about trailering the boats down to the Keys to do some Fall sailing. Has anyone done a trip on cats in the Keys? Are there known places where vehicles and trailers can be parked for a week? Any suggestions for the best cruising areas? Thanks.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • islamorada
    they used to have the hobie and A cat world champion races there every year. https://www.sail-world.co…eys/-37923?source=google

Key Largo used to be this race - https://www.catsailor.com…hase/Steeple09Story.html

Contact The Islander resort hotel in Islamorada, FL and ask if they will allow you to store your trailer and launch on their beach or if they have any suggestions
  • When Rick White was alive he would plan, organize, host and we would have the Midwinters at Founders Park. We would have 100 boats for the events. Plenty of parking and storage for trailers. Not sure how much influence he had or what the current rules are but I would reach out to the park. 305-853-1685. It is an ideal place for beachcats.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Consider something like leaving from Hobie Beach in Miami to Key Largo, or Flamigo in the Everglades down to Islamorada, they are epic trips.

As far as parking, I have done on street parking in Taveres and Key largo for multiple days.

I believe Caribbean Club will allow overnight parking for a fee and it has launch for Blackwater Bay\Boggies. Lots of shallow water to dodge but you could head south and maybe make it as far as Islamorada and get a ride back.

Guy Harvery resort, formerly the Islander, has trailer parking and I have launched there. It is a good launch to go around Alligator lighthouse and explore Indian Key

Launching gulfside in Marathon and going under the 7 mile bride and ending in Bahia Honda is nice trip. There is transportation that can bring you back but its limited, be patient.

There is a primitive launch next to Twin Palms hotel in Taveres and on street parking nearby, I parked on a side street by an Ace Hardware for 3 days.

You can launch at the Kite Surfing beach in Key West, there is parking but not overnight.

Not a lot of beach, I have ended up keeping my boat on mooring bouys, docks, and rolled it up boat ramps on beach wheels in efforts to find overnight places to keep the boat between sails.

I have been in March multiple times and weather and wind have always been close to perfect.

Good luck, its great sailing
  • Thanks for all the information. Hopefully we can put together an agenda.

Has anyone done the Miami to Key Largo on a beach cat? Pros / Cons?

Thanks again.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Lots of good info on this thread already.

I'll add that...

- there's excellent cat sailing in Miami from Miami Yatch Club, and from hobie beach (East of the big bridge, we no longer use the West beach, and it no longer has launching area)
    - yes there's a whole fleet of beach cats doing Miami Key Largo race in April (join us!). More fun with wind obviously and you might need a brief tow in Jewfish creek.
    - If you pack a tent you can overnight on ragged keys or Elliott Key
    - If you are nice, Upper Keys Sailing clClub might welcome you, and Buttonwood Sound is a treat
    - There's a concrete ramp my jewfish creek - ugly but workable

If you'll spend any time in Miami area, pm me, get in touch, we have an active cat fleet.
  • Search for Catamaran Association of Biscayne Bay on FB.
  • Quote- If you are nice,

What if you (me) are grumpy?
  • The Everglades Challenge runs from Tampa Bay to Key Largo in March...

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.