Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra rudder and daggerboard upgrade  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hey everyone, I just got myself into a 6.0NA and love to tinker with my stuff. I was wondering if anyone out there has had carbon rudders and boards made for their NACRAs or has upgraded their older boats to the carbon parts from the new models. My cousin is a board shaper but I'm not sure if he could get the dimensions close enough to fit in the slots correctly.

I get that the 6.0 is pretty much a dead class and have been told by some f-18 folks not to dump any money into it but it's still a fun boat to race in my club and screw around in the ocean on.
  • Sorry for the multiple posts, trying to figure out how to delete the duplicates.
  • eyyopompsHey everyone, I just got myself into a 6.0NA and love to tinker with my stuff. I was wondering if anyone out there has had carbon rudders and boards made for their NACRAs or has upgraded their older boats to the carbon parts from the new models. My cousin is a board shaper but I'm not sure if he could get the dimensions close enough to fit in the slots correctly.

I get that the 6.0 is pretty much a dead class and have been told by some f-18 folks not to dump any money into it but it's still a fun boat to race in my club and screw around in the ocean on.

Don't know of any carbon stuff produced. A few of us have talked about producing some carbon Prindle elliptical rudders for our Prindles. I've owned and raced N5.0, 5.2, 5.8, 6.0. ultimately love the 6.0. The new designs are more high aspect where the sail plan has been designed with the blades. I would be hesitant in mixing. That comes from one who has built a catamaran from spare parts of different boats.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I have a couple of carbon boards that were built by Nacra US before they sold to the Dutch team.

--
    Philip
    --
  • P.M.I have a couple of carbon boards that were built by Nacra US before they sold to the Dutch team.

Like to see what they look like, do have a photo of them?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Don´t waste money on foils for your boat, before attending to your sails. New foils would probably make your boat faster, but not that much. Fine tune the ones you have and lay your money on better sails instead. Don´t know what you have, but I guess this is where you can gain speed.
    If you still want better foils, I suggest you go for a pair of Marstrom Tornado rudders, to begin with.
    Enjoy the 6.0 and sail fast!

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • You can make/shape foils and make them work, even if only for fun if you like messing with stuff and building - I do, always have and find that part of the fun of sailing.

Yeah - maybe not faster, but replacing un-obtainable parts and maybe a TAD faster or getting rid of that hum in your rudders are more practical goals. To Scott's point, above the rig, hulls and the foils are all a combined, balanced system, it appears (I'm no expert), so messing around with the balance of the system may provide benefit or may not. I've built some carbon covered mahogany rudders, with the help of Bill on this site that I loved doing and they came out awesome, but the project takes a lot of time. Still, I'll also be doing more composite work over this winter, a little by choice a little not.

As our boats age, they have a lot of life left in them, just needs some creativity applied to keep them going or making them more enjoyable, so I say go for it. If you have a surf board shaper, then all you need are profile templates for the man and he could make the boards. But, don't go surfboard light on the glass/layup that's for sure.

And share on here with pictures your progress.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • JohnES
    P.M.I have a couple of carbon boards that were built by Nacra US before they sold to the Dutch team.

I'm traveling currently and don't have a picture of the one's that I have, but I'm pretty sure that the 5.8NA I sold had one of the two boards that was carbon, so see the picture in my album. They look just like the glass newer boards (not the older rope pull ups) and were gel coated white. See this one . . .

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81098&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=29ad2571f919662e4e64e893b3ba3d2e

More pics in my album here:
    https://www.thebeachcats.…4ba90436cb2c659183cdda17

I agree with Lars. It would be a fools errand to modify the trunks for the higher aspect ratio boards. The platform is just not built for them and it would throw the rig out of balance. Plus the 6.0 is fantastic high performance platform stock, no need to modify

--
    Philip
    --
  • Looks like the ones my 5.8 had, or should I say got brand new in 2005 - never knew they were carbon fiber... or maybe mine wern't..

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20218&g2_serialNumber=9&g2_GALLERYSID=93ce6315694ff0a0b6d989f4cf1a6f4e

eyyopomps

That is some sage advice and worth heeding.

The 6.0 is a powerful and stable platform. If yours is the NA rig with the double diamond mast, you have the latest and greatest of the boat.

As a reference, Roy Seaman used to show up at our races with one of the original configurations of the 6.0 and still give the best of our fleet a good run. He did one modification later: move the jib sail bridal point attachment to the front of the hulls to accommodate a larger self-tacking jib. With this, he could hold is own against the modern "spinnaker" boats.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnESLooks like the ones my 5.8 had, or should I say got brand new in 2005 - never knew they were carbon fiber... or maybe mine wern't..

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20218&g2_serialNumber=9&g2_GALLERYSID=93ce6315694ff0a0b6d989f4cf1a6f4e

Probably were not. . . production on the legacy platforms had pretty much ended and energy was with the Inter product line. I needed a 5.8 bare mast extrusion, and a front beam, and the beam internal sleeve reinforcements, which Jack just happen to have. During some calls to get the mast hardware placement, measurements, build details, etc., I asked Jack if he had any boards left . . . he said not stock but he had had his guys make up a trial run of carbon boards and they had never been tested, and he had no intentions of doing anything with them. Asked him if he would sell them to me and the rest is history.

Not sure what year you had him redo your Nacra hulls but there might have been a chance that those carbon boards were propped up in the corner right under your nose when you were there.

Edited by P.M. on Oct 31, 2022 - 06:12 PM.

--
    Philip
    --
  • If anything, just update to the last generation of Nacra rudders. I wouldn't buy the latest and greatest Evo rudders though.

Although they are a faster shape, I think the biggest benefit you would get is positive lock down. Where the old Nacra system was pull-down, they always want to slip a little. Newer rudders lock into place.

Granted... It won't be a very cheap upgrade unless you find a good deal on some used parts. Check BNR watersports.

I'm not sure that it's worth the money though...
  • I'm sorry PM, but did you say there was a centerboard in this photo?
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=137000
    Oh, my bad. There it is.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Centerboard? There are boats in the picture???

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • P.M.
    JohnES
    P.M.I have a couple of carbon boards that were built by Nacra US before they sold to the Dutch team.

I'm traveling currently and don't have a picture of the one's that I have, but I'm pretty sure that the 5.8NA I sold had one of the two boards that was carbon, so see the picture in my album. They look just like the glass newer boards (not the older rope pull ups) and were gel coated white. See this one . . .

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81098&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=29ad2571f919662e4e64e893b3ba3d2e

More pics in my album here:
    https://www.thebeachcats.…4ba90436cb2c659183cdda17

I agree with Lars. It would be a fools errand to modify the trunks for the higher aspect ratio boards. The platform is just not built for them and it would throw the rig out of balance. Plus the 6.0 is fantastic high performance platform stock, no need to modify

This is the design of my boards, I had to do some patch work when I got it and did a coat of graphite epoxy although it came out pretty bad and needs to be recoated or sanded again. Theyre fiberglass and probably around 15 pounds each.
  • JohnESLooks like the ones my 5.8 had, or should I say got brand new in 2005 - never knew they were carbon fiber... or maybe mine wern't..

eyyopomps

That is some sage advice and worth heeding.

The 6.0 is a powerful and stable platform. If yours is the NA rig with the double diamond mast, you have the latest and greatest of the boat.

As a reference, Roy Seaman used to show up at our races with one of the original configurations of the 6.0 and still give the best of our fleet a good run. He did one modification later: move the jib sail bridal point attachment to the front of the hulls to accommodate a larger self-tacking jib. With this, he could hold is own against the modern "spinnaker" boats.

Yeah I definitely think its an awesome boat, It does have all the bells and whistles from its day, double diamond stays, 4 way jib, barberhauler, 16:1 cummingham etc. I aquired it in a trade for a hobie 16 I only had a few hundred bucks into. Although the new NACRAs are super cool they're way out of my price range or justifcation for my skill level and racing I like to do.
    Its got some Randy Smythe sails that are pretty beat but I've been in contact with Arnaud from Forward Sailing in Switzerland about order a new set. Best pricing out there and they look really slick with the batten tension system they use.

This one came with the rigging and pole for a spinnaker but id rather not go down that road right now. Moving the foil for a decent sized jib that still self tacks sounds like a really cool idea!

Edited by eyyopomps on Nov 08, 2022 - 03:33 PM.
  • eyyopomps

Its got some Randy Smythe sails that are pretty beat but I've been in contact with Arnaud from Forward Sailing in Switzerland about order a new set. Best pricing out there and they look really slick with the batten tension system they use.

This one came with the rigging and pole for a spinnaker but id rather not go down that road right now. Moving the foil for a decent sized jib that still self tacks sounds like a really cool idea!Edited by eyyopomps on Nov 08, 2022 - 03:33 PM.

Contact Elliott Pattison for your new sails.. That is who the factory used.

https://www.epsails.com/catpage1.htm

Internal Batten tension is nothing new... the olympic class dinghies have been using them for years..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I contacted Skip Elliot on sails and the cost of new ones for my 5.7 is pretty high. $1816 for crosscut color dacron, and $1832-$1875 for mylar (clear/black). Pretty tough love for a nearly 40 year old cat.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • JohnES
    eyyopomps

This one came with the rigging and pole for a spinnaker but id rather not go down that road right now. Moving the foil for a decent sized jib that still self tacks sounds like a really cool idea!Edited by eyyopomps on Nov 08, 2022 - 03:33 PM.

Contact Elliott Pattison for your new sails.. That is who the factory used.

https://www.epsails.com/catpage1.htm

Internal Batten tension is nothing new... the olympic class dinghies have been using them for years..

I tried reaching out to them a few times and never heard back, I have a dacron jib for the 6.0 from them that is still in ok shape.

Forward Sailing has the main for the 6.0 on the website which and I sent them the dimensions for the jib. They also told me i'll save more if I wait for their Winter sale.

https://www.forward-sailing.com/gb/nacra-6/223-mainsail-nacra-60-3700919818976.html

Edited by eyyopomps on Nov 08, 2022 - 07:39 PM.
  • eyyopomps

Forward Sailing has the main for the 6.0 on the website which and I sent them the dimensions for the jib. They also told me i'll save more if I wait for their Winter sale.

https://www.forward-sailing.com/gb/nacra-6/223-mainsail-nacra-60-3700919818976.htmlEdited by eyyopomps on Nov 08, 2022 - 07:39 PM.

You did see this..... right?

(notice that rail system is not included, you will have to use your old one) In this case, please confirm me the diameter and the lenght of your currently rail

Regarding EP.. did you call them? Can't believe they wouldn't get back to you.

Phone: (949) 645-6697 Fax: (949) 642-5415 Email: sails@epsails.com

I am not a sales person for EP, but between them and Glaser, I paid more, but I have been very satified with the products I have purchased - not so with some others I had worked with.

Good luck and are the any pics of your boat somewhere?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnES
    eyyopomps

https://www.forward-sailing.com/gb/nacra-6/223-mainsail-nacra-60-3700919818976.htmlEdited by eyyopomps on Nov 08, 2022 - 07:39 PM.

You did see this..... right?

(notice that rail system is not included, you will have to use your old one) In this case, please confirm me the diameter and the lenght of your currently rail

Regarding EP.. did you call them? Can't believe they wouldn't get back to you.

Phone: (949) 645-6697 Fax: (949) 642-5415 Email: sails@epsails.com

I am not a sales person for EP, but between them and Glaser, I paid more, but I have been very satified with the products I have purchased - not so with some others I had worked with.

Good luck and are the any pics of your boat somewhere?

I should send an email, I called and sent an online quote request. For the forward sail, you have the option to put your boomlet on it or just use the plate with like 5 or 6 settings on it. My smythe main doesnt use the boomlet although I do have it, from what I read people dont really use them anymore?

Yeah let me round a few up and figure out how to work this sites photo album.

James

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.