Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Infusion Crane Launching  Bottom

• Any ideas on how to do this the best way? The beaches near where I am are not the best for launching, although I do have access to a crane. Would also prefer to keep the trailer out of salt water if possible.
  • Saw it every Wednesday last year, but with a Hobie Wave. The guy used 4 lift points - two lines, secured to cross bars. I can't recall if they were in an X-fashion or like a sling in the front and one in the back, secured next to the hulls. Worked really, really well. He was using the same davit crane used to launch the keel boats. You'll just need to have plenty of time to adjust the rigging so you get a good balance at the crane. I think the guy might have even left the lines attached, though that wouldn't be my first inclination with more lines on the boat while sailing...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I used to live on a canal and launched my 18 ft cat with a davit. The "sling" I made was four pieces of 3/8ths line that were connected to the cross tubes and terminated at the top to a steel ring. Where each of the four lines connected to the cross tubes, I used a hook and just wrapped the line one turn around the cross tube and hooked the line to itself. A knot in the line kept the hook from sliding down and coming in contact with the cross tube. You want to have the lengths of the line adjusted so when the boat is lifted it leans forward enough to keep the shrouds from coming into contact with anything.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I used to launch my N5.0 from a power travel lift. I made 4 loops of 1/4" that protruded from the beams. (knot within the beam) and used 4 adjustable straps (non-ratchet) to set the pitch of the boat off the hook. You can mark the straps with a sharpie or use the final adjusted length to make a harness from there.

However, when lowering one must be certain that the motor for the lift does not end up in the stays or diamond wires and dismast the boat. With the mast raked back and the bows down it is difficult to pull the boat away from the crane to avoid collision as the bows land in the water forcing the boat level again.

It is definitely worth a shot, just don't commit to lowering once you have started because it may just not work out on a high dollar boat. YMMV

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I might up end up using 4 loops of 2inch webbing, looped behind the rear crossbeam and in front of the front beam. Ending up anchored to the beam to stop them from slipping forward or aft.

Think there needs to be more straps in the middle to help relieve the middle of the hulls?
  • I've ONLY seen them picked up by the crossbars, never supported by the hulls. That is, I think wrapping straps around the hulls MIGHT be a bad idea. On the flip side, picking up by the crossbars seemed to work remarkably well. I can't recall how the guys made sure the straps wouldn't slide in on the crossbars towards the center as he lifted, but it seemed very, very stable. I think he may have just wrapped the lifting straps around the crossbars in between the trampoline lacing and the lacing kept the straps from sliding. Not like there's a HUGE ton of force trying to make the straps slide....

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I'd wrap a strap around the beam in four places, where the hulls are attached.

This keeps the boat from tilting in any direction.

I certainly wouldn't put straps under or around the hulls.
  • Thanks for the input. I have a few good ideas for lifting systems now.
  • Alright, I contacted the Nacra mothership and they agreed with strapping the beams as the preferred method of launching.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.