Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker protection - through line or rings  Bottom

• Hi all, season is coming fast, i secured a very low usage crispy 21sqm tiger spinnaker to replace my 20 year old now "deep" spin. I'm calculating my lines lenght and plan to make a tapered line for material protection. Now a few questions, the new one comes with ring attached to a small line on every patch. Is it really helping with burn holes, do i need stopper balls for best retrieves (my snuffer mouth is large with 1,5 inch curved lips). Secondly, can i retrieve from both tacks or am i limited to the tack side that have the line behind pulling on the patch for it to be effective.

My old spinnaker was rigged with a through line passing in the patches and worked very well with smooth retrieval/deploy, but at the expense of line friction.

I'm eager to try it on my Mystere 5.5, i'm expecting higher windward sailing with it. As well, please share any experience of using slender (more blade type) spinnaker on your cats.

Norm

Edited by normmyst55 on Apr 04, 2022 - 07:42 PM.

--
    Norm F.
    1998 Mystere 5.5 Spi "Berkana"
    Quebec, Canada
    --
  • Quotethe new one comes with ring attached to a small line on every patch. Is it really helping with burn holes

I have never seen a spin with the rings attached via line, but it sounds like a great idea to reduce spin burn during hoist/douce

Quotedo i need stopper balls for best retrieves (my snuffer mouth is large with 1,5 inch curved lips).

I can't speak for your setup but adding one or 2 stopper balls greatly helped me spread out the sail so it didn't get bunched up in the ring or sock (i haven't rigged my spins in years so i can't recall if it was one or 2)

QuoteSecondly, can i retrieve from both tacks or am i limited to the tack side that have the line behind pulling on the patch for it to be effective.

I could but doing it from the same tack as the hoop is on made for much smoother dousing, less of a chance of it getting jammed up in the hoop/spa (edit spaR: what i meant was it can get wedged in the space between the hoop and the spar), plus almost definatly less wear on the sail

Edited by MN3 on Apr 05, 2022 - 07:58 PM.
  • Thanks MN3, i'll rig it that way to start the season, i was a bit wary of the smoothness with balls but i take your word its useful.

Norm

--
    Norm F.
    Quebec, Canada
    --
  • Thanks MN3, i'll rig it that way to start the season, i was a bit wary of the smoothness with balls but i take your word its useful.

Norm

--
    Norm F.
    Quebec, Canada
    --
  • I read here to use bare dyneema for the spin retrieval line (at least the part that rubs on the sail during retrieval) to avoid burns. In five years and over 100 retrievals, I have yet to get a single burn hole using bare dyneema. Before that, polyester cover was burn city!

Edited by traphappy on Apr 10, 2022 - 09:47 AM.
  • QuoteI read here to use bare dyneema for the spin retrieval line (at least the part that rubs on the sail during retrieval) to avoid burns.

very true. the way i learned was to get about 50' of dynema core, with a cover and pull out about 40' of the core and secure it with some splicing (bury the jacket through the core) and whip it with some line

definitely helps reduce burns, also some sailcote on the hoop helps

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.