Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

UPPER SWIVEL  Bottom

• Do you think the will work the block can swivel. I don't know if that would effect the rolling up of the sail.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135893&g2_serialNumber=3

I got caught in a storm (35 mph gust) yesterday and could not get the jib down or roll it in. Sadly, the jib got torn because it was beating against the mast and spreaders I think. Also, you can see the damage to the forestay cover where something was rubbing against it while trying to rotate the forestay with the rope attached to the lower swivel drum. Can this cover be repaired with tape?

The pig tail does not seem ideal, but it is what I got.
    Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes the sail does not roll up smoothly.
  • I am not sure what that block is rated for but I would put a real swivel up there.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • I honestly don’t know what you are doing....you don’t need a swivel block on the pigtail.
    You NEED A SWIVEL ON THE FORESTAY....THE ENTIRE STAY TURNS.
    Go back to my album, look at the 4th photo, & one a little further in, “Andrews's Roller Furling”.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=88268
    Those show how it’s done.
    The jib is zippered onto the forestay, with the halyard also coming down inside the zipper. The entire stay turns. It doesn’t matter how hard the wind is blowing, when you spin the stay, the jib rolls up!
    The jib will never roll smoothly with the factory battens. They are horizontal, & stick out when furled. A sail maker removed mine, & sewed them in on the angle the sail furls at. (Forestay angle).
    The factory battens will be too short, they need to be about twice as long. If you leave those two battens out, the jib vibrates.
    Again, go through my album, it’s all there.

Edited by Edchris177 on Oct 03, 2021 - 07:52 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I do have a swivel on the forestay. The picture has been cropped by beach cats. For some reason the photo size had been cut. The sail will roll up but the pigtail gets in the way at times. I raise the mast every time I sail and have made mistakes with lines being fair. Jib halyard getting caught, halyard wrapping around the diamond wires etc.
    mainline halyard one time. It has been a heavy learning experience.

I have been thinking it is better to raise the jib with the boat pointed so the wind is perpendicular to the wind. The reason being it will not hit the mast or spreaders. Then you can roll the jib, attach the jib sheets, and turn the boat into the wind. I am saying this because my sail go ripped by the spreaders during a storm. Had the sail been free of the mast I do not think it would have happened.
  • I really don't understand why the pigtail is even there a shackle through the thimble would seems like it would be more neat.

The v cleat on the jib halyard also seems far better then a cam cleat. The pictures in the nacra 17 manual shows a v cleat and a little tab to hook the tack to. Then the down haul can be done with the jib halyard. I was wondering why that little block was on the jib halyard This keeps the jib close to the chain plate and tight.
    I was having difficulty getting the little block inside the zipper but realize it wont fit unless pulled down using the block which then can be used for 3 to 1 purchase and quickly cleated with a small line that lives on the chain plate.

Are there any advantages to using rope over wire jib halyard?
    Anyone know where you can buy those tabs and v cleats that goes onto the chain plate pictured in the nacra 17 manual? Or is this a specialized chain plate nacra makes for the nacra 17?
  • You can get the cleats from either Murray's or Sailrite

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Does a Nacra 17 have a furling jib?

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.…oadItem&g2_itemId=119678
    Its the nacra f 18 manual it shows some models do.
  • QuoteI really don't understand why the pigtail is even there a shackle through the thimble would seems like it would be more neat.

There are many ways to skin a Cat, gain, look at my furling album. You will see the 5.0 was done differ t,y than the 5.7
    The pigtail serves to lower the jib, without it the bottom of the jib would be way above the bottom of the mainsail, & also above any point to attach the tack. You would now have a foot long bit of line to attach the tack.
    That little V cleat is the exact item my H18 uses to secure the downhaul of a 3:1 system for the mainsail, its riveted to the mast. I used what my album shows, because that’s what I had in my spare parts bins.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.