Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 newbie - unable to remove bent mast support rod  Bottom

• Just picked up a '94 Nacra 5.0 to replace my Hobie 16 which went "missing"(coincidentally a few hours after I got the Nacra I found my Hobie 16 disassembled and for sale on Craigslist - now I have two cats).

The story of this Nacra was that it was used a few times on a fresh water lake in central florida then spent years under a carport. The keels are in perfect shape and no signs of any corrosion. However it has a bent mast support rod (I suspect the mast was not rotated when unstepping) and came with small Hobie sails).

I am not having any luck removing the bent rod. The nuts loosened up easily (although the top is limited by the bend). However the rod will not move up and down. It spins freely. I had planned to cut the rod between the lower nut and the crossbeam and then simply push the top half up. However the rod will not budge in that direction so I have not cut anything yet. Could the compression tube(? aluminum) have fused to the stainless steel rod if lube was not used during assembly? I have been soaking it as best as possible with penetrating spray for two days without any luck. I do not see any obvious corrosion anywhere. Am I missing something?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=123098
  • Did you ever get the rod out?
    I am about to replace mine and your post came up on a search.
    I thought you could just pull the rod out and replace it but it seems like it is not that easy.
    Anyone know how to remove the rod? or can someone direct me to a link describing the procedure.
    Also does it need to be replaced if the bend is very small.
  • I doubt very much you will get an answer to a 5 year old thread.
    You cannot just pull the rod out the top, because of the nut below the beam.
    You cannot pull it out the bottom without getting the V- brace out of the way.
    I documented how I changed mine,
    https://www.thebeachcats.…main.php?g2_itemId=73301
    If the rod is stuck in the compression tube, remove the V brace & support the beam by closely blocking each side of the rod.
    Leave the bottom washer on, then slip a bit of relatively close fitting pipe over the rod. Block this pipe. You can now tap the top of the rod & it will move down into the pipe. It’s much easier to do than explain.
    It would be easier with the beam off, but not required.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • What is the compression tube?
  • rungiWhat is the compression tube?

HUH???
    Look at the album I posted on changing a DS rod.
    Look at the Nacra parts manual, it is clearly shown.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.