Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trapeze Shockcord replacement  Bottom

• Hi All,

On the weekend, the shockcord that runs through the front beam of our Nacra 5.8, that puts tension on the front trapeze wires, broke and retreated into the beam. To replace it, I've been told I'll need to loosen the outer beam/hull strap, to take the beam end cap off. Has anyone done this with the mast still raised? I figure it might be possible, as most of the force from the mast is up/down. Then again, i don't really want to be fluffing around risking a 8 metre mast going over, just more effort and time to lower and raise the mast, boat is currently stored at the club with the mast up.

Cheers,

Johno

Edited by johnoau on Aug 31, 2021 - 03:12 PM.

--
    1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
    605 Nacra 4.5
    Cleveland Yacht Club
    Brisbane, AU
    --
  • If your rig is not set tight it should be fine. Especially if you are only removing a single strap of the two.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • johnoauHi All,

On the weekend, the shockcord that runs through the front beam of our Nacra 5.8, that puts tension on the front trapeze wires, broke and retreated into the beam. To replace it, I've been told I'll need to loosen the outer beam/hull strap, to take the end beam cap off. Has anyone done this with the mast still raised? I figure it might be possible, as most of the force from the mast is up/down. Then again, i don't really want to be fluffing around risking a 8 metre mast going over, just more effort and time to lower and raise the mast, boat is currently stored at the club with the mast up.

Cheers,

Johno

No, absolutely not. You don't need to loosen the strap, just tap the end cap off with a flat screwdriver and hammer working around the edge.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Tapping the end cap off or loosening the most outward bean strap bolts so the cap falls out is both viable ways of removing the end cap. Some times the beam strap bolts can seize up tight if never maintained. So trying to remove/loosen them (strap bolts) can create more issues than leaving them alone. Rig up or down will not matter.

Edited by geepaks on Aug 30, 2021 - 04:25 PM.
  • All you have to do is to relieve the compression of the strap, not remove it. There are two straps, so only the outboard strap needs to be removed. It's a good idea to remove the bolts annually and grease them anyway. It is actually standard maintenance for that boat. Remember, even if you remove the straps, there is an internal hold-down you won't see until you have removed the end-cap. The mast isn't going anywhere.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Just remember to look around the perimeter of your end cap. A great many of them have two small SS screws going through the very end of the beam into the edge of the cap. If you don’t have these, it’s only a matter of time & pounding through rough waters before you loose your end caps.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks for the replies all, your re-assurances and insight are invaluable!

The straps were taken off, along with beams, and re-assembled when the boat got a thorough service earlier this year, so they "should" be in good order ;)

--
    1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
    605 Nacra 4.5
    Cleveland Yacht Club
    Brisbane, AU
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.