Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sail Recommendations for G-Cat 5.7?  Bottom

• I've been doing some research and would like to get some new sails for my 5.7 with 28' mast (boomless).
    My current sails are 30+ years old.
    I'd love it if anyone has some specific insight or opinion as to which way to go. Here are some options:

• Original OEM with SuperSailMakers.com - 6oz Dacron.
    • Prindle 18 SuperR 6oz Dacron by Whirlwindsails.com (Main sail has close to the same dimensions but with a squarehead design) The jib is quite a bit different in size but they may be able to match my size.
    • G-Cat sails from thesailstore.com Challenge 5oz Dacron.

Any advice appreciated. Would like to keep the price sub-$1500 ish.

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --
  • Don't forget you can ship your original sails to any sailmaker and they can copy them. And what condition are your battens in? Going to a square top will require some changes with your battens. $1500? You'll have to stick with dacron.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • shortyfox $1500? You'll have to stick with dacron.

Thanks Bill, Dacron will do me fine on this boat. Battens are all good. If I go the squarehead route though, I'll get their batten set too.

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --
  • I have a new(ish) supersails main and I’m very happy with it, with battens and jib it will put you at the top of your budget. I also have a square top but keep in mind it’s suggested to increase your Mainsheet and downhaul purchase which adds up $$$ pretty quick. Chip at whirlwind made me a jib, perfect fit so I know he has the dimensions on file.
  • jalexI have a new(ish) supersails main and I’m very happy with it, with battens and jib it will put you at the top of your budget. I also have a square top but keep in mind it’s suggested to increase your Mainsheet and downhaul purchase which adds up $$$ pretty quick. Chip at whirlwind made me a jib, perfect fit so I know he has the dimensions on file.

Awesome! So budget aside, would you recommend the standard main or the square top? What are the performance differences?

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --
  • Square top will give you a few more square feet of sail area on the leech of the upper third. Remember the luff is where your power is and the luff length doesn't change. However, the the overall size of the luff on the square top's upper third is larger so a little more power especially off the wind. The balance of the helm might change. If with the pin head the helm is balanced with some rake in the mast, no problem, just reduce the rake. Perhaps jalex could comment on that. The batten configuration will be different but if you wind up with fewer panels you might be able to alter some of your current battens and make them work. Your boat probably came with a 6 to 1 mainsheet system and unless you're Superman, you'll need an 8 to 1 with the square top. If money is no object I say do the square top but consult a sailmaker with experience in this, try Glaser Sails out of CA. They may not want to make this sail out of dacron. $$$

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I guess if budget is out of the picture, I’d go square. I think the Gcat 5.7 benefits from the extra power of the square top, especially in light to moderate conditions. The expense of the 10:1 main sheet system and upgraded down haul is not insignificant as I mentioned before. I wasn’t really hunting a square top but whirlwind had a lightly used one and gave me a deal when I ordered my jib, otherwise I’d still be happily sailing pin top.
  • Thanks so much guys! Very helpful.

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.