Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Convert Jib to furling jib?  Bottom

• I have a jib that uses a zipper to attach to the headstay. In addition to a Harken 435 furling system, what would I need to do to the Jib to make it furlable with said Harken furler?

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --
  • Make sure the head of the jib is attached below the upper swivel so that it spins with the forestay.

Edited by P.M. on Aug 22, 2021 - 01:00 PM.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Did you get a new forestay? You will need one or will need to shorten the one you have. I believe it is 7 inches for the 435 kit if memory serve me correctly. I would have to check my documents to confirm the 7 inches.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Don't forget the tack of your jib is on the front cross tube on the 5.7. The furling drum is above the apex of the bridal so you'll have to visit your sailmaker and loose a small amount of sail area. Have you considered a hanked on jib? I know some of you guys will groan at this idea but it's a good alternative if you're not racing. You won't notice any difference in performance and it'll be easy up and easy down. With the 5.7's front tramp good at dockside too. The enemy of your jib is flogging and you want to raise it quickly and last thing. A zippered luff is a pain and a furler is great but expensive especially with a sail modification.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • last month I bought the Murray's conversion kit. easy to install and even adds luff adjustment. I had to modify my Telo-cat mount though, can add photos if you like.

--
    Aberdeen, Washington State

1990 NACRA 5.8
    2017 Hobie Getaway

Memento Mori...
    --
  • Be sure to mount the furler correctly if it needs to be! I know on my H18, the difference is very subtle. but! it makes a difference and is noticed once on the water. On mine, it makes a difference in which way you wind up the furling line.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • Don't do it! I forgot to mention in my earlier post that as well as shortening the luff of your jib considerably because the tack is well below the apex of the bridal, the sheeting angle will be changed, the sailmaker will have to change the angle of the foot of your jib to keep your jib blocks in the same place otherwise your sheeting angle will be all wrong. Not to mention your jib has battens which will have to be removed or altered and I suspect the jib is quite old and prone to leech flutter. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on all this.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • The cat I bought has the furling gear already added so I'm thinking I'll just go back to standard rigging as the two jibs have not been altered. Seems to make more sense. Thanks for the help on this!

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.