Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

tying catamaran to post  Bottom

• What is the best way to tie a catamaran to a post?
    Not sure the best place to attach a rope on a catamaran to anchor or tie to a post.
    How long should the rope be and will it face into the waves?
  • If you anchor often this way, I would try something like this. The main anchor line running from the base of the mast, then run thru a line tied off between the bow tangs with a loop knot like this. https://www.animatedknots.com/alpine-butterfly-loop-knot. Then onto the pole with a clove hitch or whatever knot you use. This would put the main load at a strong point, while still allowing the "Directional Pull" out in front. This would keep the bows into the wind. If you happen to be in a tight area, an anchor line off one of the hulls or main traveler(sheeted in and locked) would work. Of course at an over-night, or hours long anchor, I would drop the sails.

Edited by raisehull on Aug 23, 2021 - 10:23 AM.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • Thanks
    Can you define bow tangs?
  • The Bow Tangs are where your Forestay split and then attach to the front of the hulls. One of these on each side, where it will fit in nicely would work. https://www.uscargocontrol.com/products/stainless-steel-anchor-shackle-1-4-screw-pin-33-ton-type-316?msclkid=d3c638a6e1e01e6a68c9598468c63888&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=~USCC%20Shopping%20-%20Rigging%20Supplies%20%26%20Hardware%20-%20Shackles%20-%20Import&utm_term=1100405546566&utm_content=Screw%20Pin%20Anchor%20Shackles%20-%20Stainless%20Steel

Edited by raisehull on Aug 23, 2021 - 10:24 AM.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • I second raisehull’s advise, if you attach the line at the mast base only, without a connection further forward, you will see the cat wanting to sail around the anchor, the mast acting as a sail. Simpler but less ideal is to attach it at the forestay base, for one night maybe. Consider limiting mast rotation, you don’t want the mast rotating all the time with the waves, especially on a lake with short waves. I had a shroud failed because of that, after an unexpected little storm at night (Material fatigue after the constant movement). If you have a mast rotator it’s easy to do, not so much otherwise.
  • Search wildwinds of joyrider. They anchor of the front bridle.
    anchoring and mooring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7h5X-tanfI
    https://totaljoyrider.com/pages/joyrider-tv
  • One comment about tying the anchor line to the forestay/bridles, also learned the hard way: If you have a shackle connecting the bridles and the forestay, and some or all three wires have thimbles (most likely), avoid tying the line directly to that shackle, because after enough waves the thimbles can cut the line. Use another shackle or a carabiner. My personal conclusion after a few bad experiences and some difficulty to sleep, is not to anchor a beachcat anymore..
  • When I read the original question, I wonder if we are actually answering it. The mentioned post is not likely to be there alone, maybe it’s part of a dock? In that case it is probably better to tie the boat in more than one point, in which case maybe it’s not necessary to attach it at the bridles/forestay connection, or an equivalent set up. And it is more important to be very sure that the place is protected from the waves and wind. You cannot count that the wind won’t change 90 or 180 degrees at some point, especially when you are sleeping.

Edited by Andinista on Aug 23, 2021 - 01:12 PM.
  • raisehullIf you anchor often this way, I would try something like this. The main anchor line running from the base of the mast, then run thru a line tied off between the bow tangs with a loop knot like this. https://www.animatedknots.com/alpine-butterfly-loop-knot. Then onto the pole with a clove hitch or whatever knot you use. This would put the main load at a strong point, while still allowing the "Directional Pull" out in front. This would keep the bows into the wind. If you happen to be in a tight area, an anchor line off one of the BACK OF THE hulls or main traveler(sheeted in and locked) would work. ALONG WITH THE BOW LINE. Of course at an over-night, or hours long anchor, I would drop the sails.Edited by raisehull on Aug 23, 2021 - 10:23 AM.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • docking post need to be alone
    so boat can so spin around it when the waves and winds change direction.
    same with an anchor. I have tried skiffs up for weeks at the bow but a catamaran is a different animal
  • Anchoring off to a pole, I would use as long a line as possible. You don't want to take a chance of several wind shifts "wrapping" your line around the pole pulling it ever closer. Probably just use several "Half-Hitch" knots to the pole. "Clove Hitch" could come loose if wrapped the wrong way. I wouldn't trust an anchor unless it was very heavy. Anchors are usually made to "Bite" into something, and if pulled in the wrong direction, could break loose.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.