Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA RUDDER TRIM SCREW.  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hello,
    Anyone know where one can buy the trim screw for the old nacra 5.7
    What is it made of? Can you buy this at a hardware store or is it some special part nacra made.
    Mine fell apart as I attempted to turn it so the rudder would not hit the bottom of the boat.
    I hope the threads are ok on the rudder housing the screw turn into.
  • They were made by Nacra, not sure if they are still available.
    Almost all the originals have gone brittle & come apart.
    I made a bunch of them years ago, & sent them to people for cost + shipping. I think I still have some left. IIRC the original Nacra part was 3/4” long.
    However, some people wanted longer ones, so I made them in 1”, or even a bit longer lengths.
    PM me an email addy, I’ll see what I have tomorrow & send you a photo.
    Get the appropriate tap or thread chaser & clean up the casting before trying to install new ones. Put a bit of grease, or even petroleum jelly on them.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • delrin screws custom made?
    how did you that?
    or is that a stupid question?
  • Purchased a 6’ length of solid Delrin rod from McMaster Carr. I have quality tap & die sets. It takes some work, but I threaded the rods to match the castings, IIRC they are 16 to an inch. I then simply cut to whatever length is required, taper one end a bit so they start easier, (it’s easy to cross thread plastics), & add a slot for a screwdriver.
    I did the same for mast balls. Sourced a dozen delrin balls of the correct size, drilled & tapped them to match the DS rod. Don’t have any of those left.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 19, 2021 - 09:43 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks again to Edchris for my Delrin rudder screws. The old ones were gone and really appreciate a forum member stepping up.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • you think a rubber stopper or cork could be used?
  • Would the Hobie part work?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • rungiyou think a rubber stopper or cork could be used?

No, they are not hard enough to withstand the slam when you pull the rudders down.
    I will put a couple delrin ones in the mail for you in Monday when the post office opens.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Here are two pictures one shows the rudder with broken trim screw not hitting the bottom of the boat
    the other shows the rudder without a trim screw hitting the bottom of the boat.
    Not sure if the rudders have been modified, but they look nice. Anyone familiar with this rudder system?

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135462&g2_serialNumber=4
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135459&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by rungi on Aug 22, 2021 - 02:46 PM.
  • Something ain't right with that rudder

--
    Philip
    --
  • The rudder works perfectly.
    It just needs trim screws.

What is wrong with it?
  • That is not a skeg hull Nacra (5.7 or 5.0), rudder blade.
    Factory blades do not have that cutout, the leading edge is straight, until near the tip. That is why it is hitting the hull.
    I don’t know if they are from a different boat, or the previous owner smashed the hell out of them, then cut & sanded to remove the damage.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Go back & look at my album, the photo showing how to rig the rudders...you will see yours are totally different. Look closely at my photo, you will understand how the bungee pulls the blade up, & the line pulls it down. I The pivot pin is in the wrong place.
    If they end up working, I can only say use them.
    I sent you an email showing our N5.0 at the dock, the rudders are identical to the 5.7.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I actually have mis-matched rudders. One is like what is shown in the image above by rungi, the other is the stock 5.7 rudder. Notice port side has a straight profile, and starboard has a cutout. I need to find a new rudder for my 5.7 that has the straight profile, but they are not very common to find. FWIW, they work!

https://i.imgur.com/D99fFDRh.jpg

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Duplicate deleted

Edited by tominpa on Aug 22, 2021 - 08:12 PM.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Does the one like mine hit the bottom if the trim screw is out?
  • rungiDoes the one like mine hit the bottom if the trim screw is out?

Yes, but I got new trim screws from Edchris last year and that solved the problem. I'll just add having the trim screws too far out, gives a weather helm, but without them, the boat will have almost no weather helm at all and may even turn downwind which can feel pretty unstable. Mast rake also affects weather helm (the tendency to turn upwind).

Edited by tominpa on Aug 23, 2021 - 08:59 AM.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • that is what I wanted to hear
    thank you
  • What would you say is the typical distance from the rudder to the casting when well-adjusted? I currently have a 1/8" strip of gasket rubber glued to the inner casting, which acts as a great cushion when pulling the rudders down hard, and she seems to steer pretty well.

--
    Aberdeen, Washington State

1990 NACRA 5.8
    2017 Hobie Getaway

Memento Mori...
    --
  • i think the 1990 nacra 5.0 has this type of rudder
    why do you want the flat one?

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.