Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

getaway problems?  Bottom

• Hi, Guys, Am planning to purchase a USED Hobie Getaway . All boats seem to have their structural weaknesses that show up after years of use. Are their any common structural problems that I should look for as I check out a couple used Getaways in the near future?? Any info would be appreciated......Grandpap
  • Yup - cracks around where the cross bars enter the hulls. The kind of plastic Hobie uses on the boats cannot be welded like most kayaks and car bumpers, but some have reported reasonable, though ugly repairs using G-flex epoxy. Best, though to be patient and wait for the right one if you can. They are also one of the fastest moving used cats on the market right now, it appears.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I believe they also had some issues during early production with the transoms cracking out. Just give the hulls a good looking over.

Also the rudder system changed a few years ago from the aluminum castings that Hobie used for several decades to a more simplified plastic version. Both systems have their pro’s and con’s. Not necessarily a structural concern, but still something to consider when looking at boats.

sm
  • Quote My solution was to leave the bungs out and let water into the hulls so it sat lower in the water and you could point higher.

That is the worst idea ever. In lighter wind put some weight on the leeward hull and with the Getaway, since it has a front tramp, some weight forward to get bows a little deeper as well.
    It is general knowledge that a boat without boards is not going to be quite as "Close Winded", but the Getaway's hull design should still come about pretty well. Like the board less Nacras and others, the aft sections of the hulls have this cutaway which has less volume so that when you go aft to pass the hiking stick around the mainsheet, the bows come up and the boat pivots on the "skeg". Boats with front tramps have one big problem when it's really windy. When the boat passes through the eye of the wind, especially if there's chop, the bows go up and the wind blows under the front tramp slowing it's momentum. If it's blowing so hard that you're de-powering the boat by easing the mainsheet, you're not going to make it. Try having the main sheeted in as much as possible and pinch to de-power, (You won't have to travel as far to come about). "Stuff" the rudders to 45 degrees, back-wind the jib and be ready to reverse the helm in the event you get blown backwards.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.