Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5/32 " 1X19 VINYL COATED ss WIRE  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quotebut also have adjusters I can add to the trap wires

I would add the adjusters and test the correct length with them. this will provide a wide range of "what is/feels right"

also the youtube vid was probably providing optimal setting for racing and doubtful it was on wings

i have found it pretty rare that i need to get out on the wire on a wing - it is fun but not usually needed as i don't sail in 25knots where i need weight THAT far out - ymmv
  • Then sail in 25 knot wind! I know you can do it!
  • 911hobieThen sail in 25 knot wind! I know you can do it!

haha - the old me could/would - the current me is afraid of anything over 4knots :)
  • Huh - anything over 10-12 knots and I COULD use the extra weight out there, but the wings are nice to not have to mess with it. HOWEVER, if I got them, they might as well be right.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Quote Huh - anything over 10-12 knots and I COULD use the extra weight out there

My bad - i was comparing your boat with mine

I don't even have trap wires rigged on either of my mysteres
  • Quotei have found it pretty rare that i need to get out on the wire on a wing

I have had the unfortunate experience of being out on the wire on the wings on my hobie 18 burying the bow/wings and then connecting my head to the lee hull quite a fall! split ear on that one, started wearing a helmet after that excursion

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • ouch!
    a helmet is really a good idea on any beachcat with a boom or that you trap - or sail aggressively
  • It's not unusual for me to have to aggressively play the mainsheet to keep a hull down while on the wing and more than I'd like be dragging a wing in the water, with full outhaul and downhaul on. I know I'm doing something wrong, just don't know exactly what it is, TBH. Getting more weight further out SEaMS reasonable, but with 10 feet of beam, plus another 2 for the wing, that's 10 foot plus above water (at an angle), much less falling off those things at full capsize and 12 feet. Yikes! That IS something to think about. A long ways to fall into a mast/boom/rigging, etc.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Edited by charlescarlis on Feb 05, 2021 - 10:13 AM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • yea - the pitfalls of owning a monster of a boat

how old are your sails? are they blown out? this will move your draft forward with the result of more heel and bow dive. might consider new sails for more responsiveness

are you sailing solo? If so you may consider a smaller sail for days where the air is med - heavy

How powerful is your downhaul? may want to add reeves to increase it's power - however if your mast is a tree like many older hobies are - this will be limited - same goes for your outhaul

may want to dig deeper into spreader settings to to help
  • Thanks - the sail is an Elliot Patteson, square top mylar near the end of it's life. Not Dacron; has decent shape but is wearing. Downhaul could easily be better, by a lot. The mast IS a tree; a big, heavy redwood of a tree, but it does bend. Never sail solo; at least not yet. We're 350-375 pounds, combined weight. I've got a real decent Tornado pin top sail I will try soon; needs some repair, but it's looking good and has a bit less area. 1 jib is tired, but fucntional mylar. The other is dacron, in great shape but is like 110% or something; it's bigger and very tough to get trimmed properly.

And - thank you for the advice.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • downhaul and outhaul are very powerful on my boat
    also in med air i will crack off the traveler an inch or 2 from center - this wont help vmg but will help depower a bit

jibs at 110 is typical for non self tacking jibs but i do swap between my 5.5 and 6.0 jib depending on wind -
    a poorly trimmed jib (or main) is not your friend - consider getting the jib cut down a bit or your sheeting blocks moved to improve fit?
  • The jib blocks are nominal for adjustment. They only move fore and aft to change angle on the clew; kind of hard to open/close the slot effectively. A tweaker or different block arrangement may be in order as there's effectively no class for my boat and I'm not a "serious racer". A new regular or 90% jib actually may help a bit.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Trapezing off a 21SE wing is a wild ride when you fly a full. You are already up off the water before you fly a hull. I never flipped mine for fear of fighting it, but solo trapezing off the wing is a blast. I agree just like the H18, the job adjustment is minimal. I agree with easing out the traveler to help keep the hull down when the wind picks up.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • petter panning of the wing is pretty exciting too - and fun if you stick the landing

my buddy Zack mystere 5.5 (possibly 6.0)
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131396&g2_serialNumber=3
  • My trip around the hull and getting sucked into the dolphin striker was so memorable, i vowed never to repeat it.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I have never Peter panned of my wings, but I have off a SC20. That 12’ beam is similarly exciting. One issue with wings is you run out of runway quickly if you loose your balance.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • another NYC snowstorm so on line and asking if anyone has experience with a bench/wing for Dart 18? had factory wings on a prindle 16 (stolen) and a Hobie 18 sold /replaced by Nacra 570 but we lost One bench in a capsize and am searching for ONE N570 BENCH,purchased a pair of aluminum benches for far too much$ from a vendor/sailor on this site, they weighed 4x stock benches,despite cost we threw them away and im a "saver". Today I re- reviewed a Practical Sailor article 1/27/21 on Sailboat Rig Inspection Tips, the addendum at bottom by Drew Frye advises NEVER use coated wire and explains dyneema failures eg knotting it, also reviewed anchoring-for those of you who moor cats like i do was informative although I use much heavier chain and mushrooms in Great South Bay, Danforth in Fort Lauderdale

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.