Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Reefing by a smaller sail  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• So, to the earlier question - How the heck do you get the sail back off the hook to lower it? Unless you don't hook it, but that sure would put a bunch of extra stress on the sheave and then you tie off the halyard at the bottom... That would make sense. I have reefing points in my main, but really never tried to figure this part out. Seems like, if reefed this way, it'd be problematic (maybe???) to bend the mast with downhaul. Plus, now your round in your luff is lower on the mast. Does that matter?

I'm liking the idea of a higher aspect ratio sail more and more for high wind conditions/solo sailing.

Edit - I re-read and the securing the halyard, what I see is the thing done.

Edited by charlescarlis on Jan 05, 2021 - 12:21 PM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Quote Seems like, if reefed this way, it'd be problematic (maybe???) to bend the mast with downhaul

yea, probably but with less sail area you need to flatten the sail has also diminished (ps i never though nor noticed this when i sailed reefed)

Quote Plus, now your round in your luff is lower on the mast. Does that matter?

you mean the curve in your luff no longer matches the curve in your mast since it is lower?

hmmmmm - i am not certain but i ASSUME the curve of the luff (and mast) is pretty consistent above the bottom diamond wire attachment so there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in the sail to mast curve

QuoteI'm liking the idea of a higher aspect ratio sail more and more for high wind conditions/solo sailing.

Yea, i prefer to reduce sail area via a smaller sail than reefing. I am happy to have the system on my 6.0 for sure - it was put there encase of pup up summer storms and that risk never goes away here in fl

While being able to manage my cat in 20-25 is good, and i have gone out in that weather planning to reef - all the other things still suck (mast stepping, sail raising, anchoring, holding onto the boat in the water, etc.) Also you are putting stresses on your "reefed" clew and tack and often they are not as reinforced as your actual clew and tack. I blew out my reefing clew in 30knots... that sucked - i was fortunate to be upwind of the beach and able to downwind home jib only
  • By the way, sailing jib only as a contingency plan for a sudden wind increase might not be a bad idea. I often take the main down to land when wind is above 15 kts or so, because there is no much room for mistakes around the ramp, and the entrance is typically downwind or on a broad reach. In those occasions I’ve been able to point high enough to move upwind, not ideal but it feels safe. Not sure with 30 kts and bigger waves though. But for a boomless boat (n5.5) I can’t figure out how to reef the main anyway.
  • MN3
    Quotepennate

what is that?
    according to the dictionary it's a muscle?
    i will assume you meant pigtail or something similar?

also how did you get the ring off the hook?
    from what i have heard, extending the head ring via a pigtail will fight you all the way trying to get it off the hook since when you rotate the mast the ring will also rotate - and almost always require putting the boat on her side to get it off the hook

damn autocorrect.. basically a pigtail on top of the head. As I said, it was a bit of a pain to unhook, but after a while, I was able to unhook on first attempt.

--
    Scott

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly" - gone
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Quotedamn autocorrect.. basically a pigtail on top of the head. As I said, it was a bit of a pain to unhook, but after a while, I was able to unhook on first attempt.

If the smaller sail is a square top, maybe adding a cord from the right spot of the ring shackle to the first batten could help to keep the ring perpendicular to the sail.

Edited by Andinista on Jan 05, 2021 - 05:02 PM.
  • Hello,
    Couple of questions to consider.

If you race, do you want to modify your race sail to reef and then if sailing the reefed sail in high winds, are you losing shape in your precious race sail? After answering these questions, if you do go with a smaller sail you probably don't need a real high end smaller sail (ala Smyth, Calvert, Whirlwind, etc.) and you can pick something up for much less. If you pursue this path, I recommend (with no affiliation to him) Martin of Somerset Sails. He made a smaller sail for my Bimare F18HT as I solo sail and the sail pictured in my signature. Note both were carbon and under $700. (note he also made sails for my previous F24-1 and both my F25Cs).
    Hope this helps,
    James
  • Quote He made a smaller sail for my Bimare F18HT as I solo sail and the sail pictured in my signature. Note both were carbon and under $700

i just checked out his site/ebay store - https://www.ebay.com/itm/…2c20d:g:9c0AAOSwK7tfRsE9
    $1600 for a dacron hobie 20 tri radial doesn't seem like such a great deal to me -

it's more than Chip at whirlwind for a pentex one ($1,300.00 - $1,450.00)
    http://www.whirlwindsails…9/H20_Standard_Main.html

Edited by MN3 on Jan 06, 2021 - 09:59 AM.
  • One more question to end off on this ..I am reading that the sail should reduce by 12% for each reef . I was thinking of going down from P19 sq top mainsail to the P18 which is only 2'(28.72 to 26.75) .Would i see a noticeable difference or look for a smaller sail ?
    Thank you all
  • emmettvOne more question to end off on this ..I am reading that the sail should reduce by 12% for each reef . I was thinking of going down from P19 sq top mainsail to the P18 which is only 2'(28.72 to 26.75) .Would i see a noticeable difference or look for a smaller sail ?
    Thank you all

i would think so
    when i use my f18 sail vs my regular sail i can handle the puffs much better

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.