Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Calling all prindle sailors  Bottom

• Ok you yayhoos,

Us houston area guys have a hairbrained ideas. We have as of last count 6 to 9 prindle 19's and at least a couple dozen 16/18.

We are discussing having a 50th reunion north Americans prindle regatta for 2022. Maybe do one day distance racing and one buoy racing. As of now we are talking about doing it at the dike in texas city, but might make something happen on the beach front in Galveston. What would be the interest in something of this type? We might be able to get some sponsors to help with prizes.

For the 19's it would be a run what you brung, no spinnaker type class.

Discuss away folks

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Awesome idea. Make sure you have regatta insurance. It is one of the main reasons events go through sailing/yacht clubs. I would also talk to the Hobie cat fleets on how they handle this for off-the-beach type events.
  • Well, it's 1200 miles from me, so what would make this attractive:

1. Provide secure on the beach cat storage during the event.
    2. Reasonably priced room rates nearby (walking distance).
    3. Event held during the waterpark season- Schlitterbahn, Pirate's Bay, etc. for attendance days before and after the regatta.
    4. On the beach clinics on sailing and racing in this area.
    5. Casual dinner for everyone the night between the races.
    6. Offer to publish photos and contact information for and of attendees.
    7. Have someone present the latest information on Olympic and World Sailing catamaran classes and events.
    8. See if you can attract one of the groups that train people to race catamarans to have a class days before the event.

Well, there's my $0.02.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldWell, it's 1200 miles from me, so what would make this attractive:

3. Event held during the waterpark season- Schlitterbahn, Pirate's Bay, etc. for attendance days before and after the regatta.
    7. Have someone present the latest information on Olympic and World Sailing catamaran classes and events.
    8. See if you can attract one of the groups that train people to race catamarans to have a class days before the event.

Well, there's my $0.02.

Well Bob, it certainly looks like you have some work cut out there..

Cholley 12, sounds like a great idea. What is the weather like in Galveston mid February maybe March.. I have attended a few mid-winter regattas in Florida when I live in the Northeast, great way to get out of the cold..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • March ranges in the day between the 60's to mid-upper 70's. February it's freezing - like only in the 60's. At least for Galveston. Windspeed average is 10-15 mph, mostly out of the south. Water temperature is 60-65ish degrees (water temp closely lags air temp). - Generally lovely -

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Is this still a possibility?

--
    Bobbi B
    Prindle 19
    Hobie 16
    --
  • bbhobieIs this still a possibility?

Sure as hell is. NOR is going out some time next week. We have SLO sail and canvas, Murray's, and others online to sponsor. We are going to hold it on Bolivar peninsula. Looking at a friday to sundsy event with some distance, buoy and fun racing

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • JohnES
    klozhaldWell, it's 1200 miles from me, so what would make this attractive:

Well, there's my $0.02.

Well Bob, it certainly looks like you have some work cut out there..

Cholley 12, sounds like a great idea. What is the weather like in Galveston mid February maybe March.. I have attended a few mid-winter regattas in Florida when I live in the Northeast, great way to get out of the cold..

John, sorry for the late reply just seeing it now. We are going to hold it first weekend june 2022. We expect 10-20 with 85* water temps, and usually moderate surf so easy beach launches.

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • samc99usAwesome idea. Make sure you have regatta insurance. It is one of the main reasons events go through sailing/yacht clubs. I would also talk to the Hobie cat fleets on how they handle this for off-the-beach type events.

We are already ahead of that game.

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • klozhaldWell, it's 1200 miles from me, so what would make this attractive:

Well, there's my $0.02.

Bob, I have been keeping your questions in mind while determining a venue and can give an update for everyone. I appreciate Chris jumping in and answering questions. I have the draft NOR done and finishing up fine tuning/review. But here is the cliff notes;

- Texas City Dike YC is partnering with Bolivar YC
    - Venue will be off Bolivar Beach
    - Dates will be June 3-5, 2022
    - We are discussing an unofficial beach launch/landing seminar on Thursday, June 2.
    - Courses will be a combination of distance and triangle W/L buoy.
    - We are working with local (within walking distance to beach) motels/inns for special rates. There are also many Airbnb's in the area.
    - There are several RV resorts in the area.
    - Galveston's Schlitterbahn is about 20 miles away with NASA an hour away and the Houston Museum District about an hour and half away.
    - Bolivar hosts some of the best home cooking restaurants on the coast.
    - This is a drivable beach so you can bring your vehicle right up to your boat.
    - Boats can be stored on the beach.
    - The surf is not horrific; 2-4' with 15-20 knots of wind because the shallow water
    - It's early in the hurricane so the odds are very low of a storm.
    - Chris has already secured a handful of sponsors and we have just begun.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I have been thinking of attending something like this for a couple years now but most of the regattas are pretty far from Salt Lake City. Duh!!! I guess I just have to commit to it.

I would seriously consider trailering the Prindle 19, packing the crew up and driving to Galveston for early June fun.
    Sounds like a good time,
    Steve
  • steve.kirnerI have been thinking of attending something like this for a couple years now but most of the regattas are pretty far from Salt Lake City. Duh!!! I guess I just have to commit to it.

I would seriously consider trailering the Prindle 19, packing the crew up and driving to Galveston for early June fun.
    Sounds like a good time,
    Steve

Do consider coming down. Here is the regatta info: https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/23254

If you have a hang-up or a concern, please reach out to Chis or myself and we can help do what we can to get you down. We have a 19MX and a 19 already registered. June typically has 12-18 knots of seabreeze and 1-3' swells.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.