Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mainsheet Recommendations  Bottom

• I just purchased a Viadana 8:1 rig to replace my 6:1 Harken on a H21sc which means I need to buy new line. I sail a Hobie 21sc which uses a ridiculous 60+ feet of mainsheet line to allow for use of the gin pole. I''ll need about 80' for the 8:1 rig. The main problem is that I'm cheap and would really prefer to keep using the 9mm Rooster Polilite line that is practically new. The 65' of line also doesn't have much value on the used market because it's more line than most sailors buying a Harken 6:1 rig would ever need. It would be a lot easier to sell the Harken blocks without the line.

I've read through some earlier posts about the virtues of tapering/ splicing a smaller dynemma line that remains mostly within the blocks during normal operation. It's probably overkill for a 21sc but it could save me from buying 80' of new line. Anyone know if this can be done with the Rooster Polilite line? Its a Polypropylene core and cover.
  • Rooster Polilite can't be tapered. You need either a dyneema cored line where you can strip the cover and bury the cover into the core. A dyneema cored line will be a lot more expensive.
    Personally I think you'd be better just using 8mm rope all the way through, it will run a lot better.
  • I went from the Harken 6:1 to a Harken 8:1 on my 21SE with ratchet and used the same line and it was actually better as the original had too much line, but I'm not using the main to hoist the mast. Mine is 68' of standard, 7/16...so "stock" Still has a bit too much line on the tramp under most conditions for my taste.

I'd try what you have first. Might find you don't need to do anything.

Edited by charlescarlis on Oct 21, 2020 - 10:10 AM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Thank you both for the input. It's certainly worth testing before I get more line. The boom sits rather high on the 21sc, probably 40" off the deck so it uses a lot of line. If anything, I could use a separate line for the traveler and potentially hang the upper block down from the boom with a dynemma pigtail. The hard part will be the gin pole. I'll need a minimum of 77' with an 8:1 just to cover the length.

Just in-case I find myself in the market for new 8-9mm mainsheet line, Does anyone have any recommendations? I have to buy a bunch, so it's best if it's lightweight, doesn't hold too much water and close to the $1 per foot price range.
  • For your boom that's high off the deck. To reduce the amount of mainsheet line required, you can add a shroud adjustor (Murrays 25-3300) between your boom and the top of your main block. Or a cable with eyelets on both ends, or other similar item. Every inch you can drop your main block is x8 reduction in line length for an 8:1 system.

Edited by geepaks on Oct 21, 2020 - 11:36 AM.
  • Dyneema strops work well for lowering the mainsheet off the boom, and won’t hurt nearly as much as a shroud adjuster if you hit your head! I use 4 or 5mm dyneema, tied through the clew and around the boom with a bowline at each end...there are fancier knots/splices but I find bowlines hold well in dyneema, are easy to tie and easy to adjust.

Nacra sailing is right that you want a dyneema cores line for a tapered mainsheet, or a cover you can bury dyneema into. The Rooster Politite could be tapered by an experienced rigger, essentially you bury dyneema into the core then do a locking brummel splice into the dyneema with the cover. Unfortunately this tends to make the line thicker at the splice, and therefore the whole thing doesn’t run as smooth through the system as an untapered line would.

I’ve been using Coppa 5000 in 7 and 8mm for tapered mainsheets, this is a good mid-range line that holds up well in systems with autoratchets. If you have a manual ratchet in the mainsheet system that doesn’t free spool, you need a more durable cover that can take the abuse of running across a locked out block.
  • Agree if you add a foot of line between the boom and block that will save you 8 feet of main sheet. If you don’t trapeze off the wings as the skipper, you could likely use your current line. At least worth a shot.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteJust in-case I find myself in the market for new 8-9mm mainsheet line, Does anyone have any recommendations? I have to buy a bunch, so it's best if it's lightweight, doesn't hold too much water and close to the $1 per foot price range.

i use and love my 8mm salsa line
    it comes in a few sizes (only in one color pattern so single use on my cat)

it is a dynema blend i think - doens't absorb water

may be disconnected but still avail
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0076/0211/0517/products/Salsa_Line_Dynema__99891.1481127400.1280.1280_ae319ef1-9f87-4bca-8387-9351ffc78347.jpg?v=1583334437
    https://rwrope.com/produc…e?variant=14089915301941
  • Great suggestions everyone. I'm going to try dropping the top block down from the boom by about a foot and use a winch for the gin pole.
  • QuoteI just purchased a Viadana 8:1 rig to replace my 6:1 Harken on a H21sc which means I need to buy new line. I sail a Hobie 21sc which uses a ridiculous 60+ feet of mainsheet line to allow for use of the gin pole. I''ll need about 80' for the 8:1 rig.

You can use the 8:1 blocks as 6:1 or less with the gin pole
  • If you don't want to waste time unthreading the mainsheet, you could perhaps do a tandem approach with mainsheet + jibsheet in series. The first part is the heaviest so you use the mainsheet all the way, then the last part should be a bit lighter and perhaps the 2:1 jibsheet is enough.. (Just make sure that none of them gets uncleated by accident)
  • Why not put the current sheet in the new 8:1 blocks as it sounds like it is long enough and use a new "cheaper" (but safe) line in the 6:1 for the gin pole?

If you aren't going to taper, Salsa is nice, kind of heavy, but that means it pops/uncleats well. I've got several hundred miles distance racing with it and liked it.
  • Thank you all for the suggestions, I think I have a good solution worked out for the gin pole by just using the trailer winch. This gives me a win-win as I can use my existing line and I ultimately want to sell the 6:1 Harken blocks, no need to keep them around just for raising the mast.
  • I'm running salsa 8mm with a harken 10:1 57mm system. Works great

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.