Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Solcat mast head sheaves  Bottom

• Hello, I'm getting a Solcat 18 ready to sail. I need new masthead sheaves, and I haven't been able to find anything close online. I was hoping someone might have some ideas of where to look. It's 1.625" diameter, and it's only .313" (5/16) wide, which seems to make it hard to replace. I was going through some stuff I bought on ebay, and it looks like (what I think is) Hobie 16 jib block has a sheave that might work, but I only have one and I need 2. Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

Steve
  • I don’t know what size you need but there are some sheaves here
    https://www.murrays.com/search-results/?q=sheave
    Or you can make one in bronze in a workshop, no bearing needed, just a SS pin. I did that on a meat head long ago and don’t remember any issues, just check after winter storage. Even in the hardware store you may find something I think.

Edited by Andinista on Sep 16, 2020 - 03:12 AM.
  • Thanks, The hobie Jib block sheave seems to fit OK. I see that Murrays has a replacement sheave which I will probably order. It's a little more narrow then the original, but should work. Making new ones out of brass sounds like a good idea for the long term. Haven't been to the hardware store, but looked on amazon and ebay for a substitute, but didn't find anything.
  • I'd say it's a better idea to make one in bronze in a workshop right away than ordering a replacement and making it again, unless time is of the essence. I'm just saying - spend your money once and be fully satisfied icon_wink

--
    UK Area
    --
  • Do you really want to install a bronze sheave in what is probably a cast aluminum head block?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • https://www.harken.com/
    I have a Harken 307 at my masthead.

Edited by gahamby on Sep 18, 2020 - 10:37 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.