Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Banging Mast  Bottom

• Does anyone have any simple solutions for keeping the mast from banging back and forth violently under low wind conditions? When I'm motoring or under no wind conditions the rotating mast just drives me nuts with all the banging. It's especially bad when you get hit by wake from a passing motor boat. I've tried securing it with line in multiple places but the amount of force needed to keep it from rotating is surprisingly high.

I sail a H21sc so the mast and Catbox arrangement doesn't make it very practical to install a control arm. My only thought is wedging a block of rubber or urethane between the mast and the stops when it's not being sailed.

Any ideas?
  • Just an thought - a tighter rig will help some (but not eliminate). Also maybe consider sheeting harder on the main when motoring.
  • Several options....need to rig some sort of over-rotation control scheme, common ones go from the boom to the diamond wires (look at Inter-20 rigging diagrams). Others go from the mast rotation arm forward to the front beam.

The other option on the trailer is to loop line over the spreaders and take it forward to the mast stand...this stops the rig from pumping and should help limit rotation.
  • Quotedoesn't make it very practical to install a control arm.

i looked at the hobie manual and i was surprise to see you had no rotation limiter - without one it will be a challenge to have "on the water" control of your mast. i think you will lack the leverage needed

If it is really an issue - you could add a rotation limiter and remove it for travel/storage. - seems excessive to me (although it should improve your sail shape too )

QuoteMy only thought is wedging a block of rubber or urethane between the mast and the stops when it's not being sailed.

hmmm - your mast is still gonna try to rotate and the force exerted on those parts is gonna be substantial. i think you risk breaking an "ear" off your base or worse.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.