Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast Rake  Bottom

• Am I getting this wrong? Okay, there are a few different methods for checking mast rake.... they are

1.) The most common I believe is that while the boat is level on both axis, secure a five pound weight to your main halyard, hoist it to where is it free and measure the distance back from the trailing edge of the mast to the center of the halyard, this will give you the amount of rake you have in inches or mm/cm for you metric speakers..

2.) Take your trap-line, run it to the bridal tang (additional line required), mark that, and then bring it back to the transom moving forward until the mark touched the hulls.

3.) Similar to #1 but measure the distance from the center of the rear beam to the plumb line.

4.) Using a tape measure, hoist as you would your main and then measure the distance to the center of the rear-beam.

So you're probably scratching your head and asking where is he going with this, and that is, how can you determine the amount of rake you have with #2, #3, and #4? I was trying to explain to someone that #2 and #4 are ways you can check your rake for a quick tune. For instance using method #4 8" of rake is going to give you X measurement to the rear beam, 12" of rake will give you Y measurement, etc.... or the trap line, example #2 will land at the same spot with 8" of rake etc.... as for #3, this one is new to me.

Thoughts?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • There are many different ways to skin this cat. If you’re just looking for a relative comparison between two or more boats (i.e., boat A kicked boat B’s ass upwind, I wonder how their mast rakes compare), then the only thing that really matters is that both boats are measured the same way.

sm
  • All of the Nacra's that I've sailed used the trap method. With the A's, we've gotten more precise by using a digital pitch gauge - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWHITBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zero it on the transom, and place on the leading or trailing edge of the mast.

Some people use their iPhone, but it's not quite as accurate as the pitch gauge.
  • mikekrantzAll of the Nacra's that I've sailed used the trap method. With the A's, we've gotten more precise by using a digital pitch gauge - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWHITBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zero it on the transom, and place on the leading or trailing edge of the mast.

Some people use their iPhone, but it's not quite as accurate as the pitch gauge.

Now that is getting technical.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • DogboyThere are many different ways to skin this cat. If you’re just looking for a relative comparison between two or more boats (i.e., boat A kicked boat B’s ass upwind, I wonder how their mast rakes compare), then the only thing that really matters is that both boats are measured the same way.

sm

Bingo.

John,

I did this with Hall's boat and we compare exactly. You should do the same with Bob's.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • What Mike said. It's much more precise and revealing.

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --
  • At Nacra we've switched to using a level similar to what Mike is doing with the A's but we're simply using the Level App on the Iphone. The new tuning guide for the Infusion MKIII and Evolution are done in this way.
  • At Nacra we've switched to using a level similar to what Mike is doing with the A's but we're simply using the Level App on the Iphone. The new tuning guide for the Infusion MKIII and Evolution are done in this way.
  • nacrasailingAt Nacra we've switched to using a level similar to what Mike is doing with the A's but we're simply using the Level App on the Iphone. The new tuning guide for the Infusion MKIII and Evolution are done in this way.

Good stuff... what APP are you using?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Ihandy level that's on every iphone

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.