Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Replacement product for Git Rot - Hobie 16 soft hulls  Bottom

• Hi Everyone,

I'm almost done with my 1977 Hobie restoration - replaced just about everything and the only thing left is to fix are my soft hulls. Everything I've read suggests using Git Rot for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. My problem is that due to Covid it's impossible to find because they either totally stopped manufacturing or slowed it down so the shops aren't able to stock it (I've called tons of stores here in Southern California and they are solf out and can't order it).

Does anyone have any suggestions on something that would work and have similar characteristics? From what I understand, the main benefits of Git Rot is that it isn't too thick and also has good elasticity. I've been looking at laminating resin - but am hoping someone can provide some direction of something that could work. Any suggestions?

thanks!
  • Sorry that I posted this 4 times, the forum kept saying "ajax time out" so I didn't know it was posting as I kept trying. I can't figure out how to delete the other posts. icon_confused
  • I had the same problem. John

--
    Iroquois MKII
    Hobie 18
    Trac-14
    Prindle 16 sold
    Jarcat 6 sold
    Georgian Bay Cruiser 20 sold
    --
  • Check eBay. There are many listings for Git Rot. Many use West System epoxy thickened with micro balloons.
    I have always used the West system and it worked well for me.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • watercat
    Does anyone have any suggestions on something that would work and have similar characteristics? From what I understand, the main benefits of Git Rot is that it isn't too thick and also has good elasticity. I've been looking at laminating resin - but am hoping someone can provide some direction of something that could work. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Take a look at this article from the archives, lots of detail about delam repair. Gitrot was kind of a short cut, but you can make real epoxy whatever thickness and set time you want.
    Do-It-Yourself: Catamaran…tion Repair Instructions

watercatSorry that I posted this 4 times, the forum kept saying "ajax time out" so I didn't know it was posting as I kept trying. I can't figure out how to delete the other posts. icon_confused

catsailor139I had the same problem. John

When a submit a post and it "hangs up" you you get an ajax error, the post has already been submitted, so don't hit submit again (that is how multiple posts happen), just refresh the page or click on a different forum link like "latest posts".

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Wow, perfect article. Thanks Damon! That is exactly what I was looking for.
  • Damon, I have one more question -

I was just outside inspecting my Hobie. I'm realizing that the hulls are pretty soft. Meaning that if I push lightly I can feel the gel coat gap, but if I push just a little bit more i can feel a real 2" flex....I can push down about 2 inches. The inner core is flexing. I'm just wondering if there is an issue with the inner core? Would filling under the gel coat harden the soft inner core? Would love what you have seen from your experience.

thanks
  • watercatDamon, I have one more question -

Hard to say just from the description, are you saying you can push the deck down 2 inches with your hand?

If so, you are probably wasting time and money trying to fix those hulls.

What do you know about the history of the boat? Not too many 1977's left standing for that very reason.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Oh what a bummer. Sounds like I'll have to look for new hulls. The boat was last registered in 1980 so it was only sailed for 3 years but my guess is that it sat in the sun. Such a bummer as I've put so much into restoring the boat - looks like I have to start searching for new hulls.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.