Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

custom wings for Nacra 5.5?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• MN3
    However - needing a F250 to get to the ramp, stepping a 45' mast, and the cost of the 8hp kicker motor is more than i paid for my 5.5 ......

There is a huge sliding scale here. I'll keep my foam monohulls because when it's good and I decide to sail - I can load the boat up, drive to the lake, rig and be on the water in 45 minutes. My new Supercat will be a lot more awesome, but no where near as quick while I'm out of the water.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • You don't need the F31. I have an F242 (much cheaper) and although they say you can be on the water in about 45 minutes, we are still around that 60 to 75 minute range with rigging only a couple of time per year.

One boat just doesn't fit every need. I am a firm believer in owning a fleet! icon_smile

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • QuoteYou don't need the F31.

you do if you want a rotating mast and higher performance (and less chance of snapping a mast by overpowering it I THINK)
    beam is also 22' 5" vs 17'11" = a more stable and safer boat

His rig time is the same as yours
    you are both using a winch/jin pole to step the mast
    he has a wife and daughter, they want the extra room and a head on board (not sure if the 242 has or doesn't
    they plan/take week long trips to the keys - pretty sure every inch of the boat is favorable to them
  • The F242 does have a rotating mast and daggerboard for better performance. The F242 cabin converts to a very nice double bunk. The big difference would be the head. I will still stand by bigger is not always better as a total package. If it a week trip every month, then the F242 may not be the choice.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • QuoteThe F242 does have a rotating mast and daggerboard for better performance.

My bad - i thought it was fixed

QuoteF242 cabin converts to a very nice double bunk.

on my friends - parents get the cabin, kid gets the v birth, guests get to sleep anywhere on deck they want :)

QuoteI will still stand by bigger is not always better as a total package

100% agree - every time i step my 6.0 mast

QuoteIf it a week trip every month, then the F242 may not be the choice.

we used to camp a lot - part of this purchase for them was to be able to island camp without all the moving and setting up of gear. they pack the boat in the driveway - go to the local ramp and viola! floating hotel
  • I always thought modifying getaway wings would be the easiest solution to add wings to any cat. Someone has done it with this hobie 20

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.