Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Replace comptip mast with aluminum?  Bottom

• I just bought a Hobie 16, but the comptip is broken. Cost-wise, it looks smarter to replace the whole mast rather than replacing just the comptip. Is there any reason why the older aluminum mast won't work?
  • No reason at all. The comptip was something that came about as a result of electrocutions and legal liability, not performance issues. When I got my 18 it came with a comptip, and I found it to be a hassle - the bolt rope pulled out of the track a couple of times - so I got an all-Al mast for it.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • cornstalkerI just bought a Hobie 16, but the comptip is broken. Cost-wise, it looks smarter to replace the whole mast rather than replacing just the comptip. Is there any reason why the older aluminum mast won't work?

Not sure where you are, but I have a Hobie 16 mast with a comptip in California I'll make you a sweet deal on.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Solid aluminum mast is much better than a comptip mast. I would change even if the comptip was not broken.
  • Thanks for the input!! The all-aluminum option looks like it will be cheaper and easier, so a better solution all the way around.
  • The trouble with the all aluminum mast is it isn't class legal for Hobie 16 racing. For an older beater boat that never races, its fine, but if you have any plans to race the boat or sell it into the racing fleet in the future, you need the comp tip.
  • HULLFLYERSolid aluminum mast is much better than a comptip mast.

Unless of course you happen to touch a powerline.... just sayin’.

sm
  • So, I am in a similar situation. But I live in the British Virgin Islands. I just bought an old Hobie Getaway but it also has an broken comptip... To get a new one shipped down here is like $1,500 and considering I bought the entire boat for $500 that is less than ideal.

Anyone have any experience fixing a comptip or know of any old hobie masts in the BVI/USVI/Puerto Rico?
  • Welcome to Beachcats simplydabbling!
    Which island do you live on? I will be there in May and again in November and might be able to bring the comptip.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I would also contact the fine folks at BEYC, which is currently being rebuilt. They lost everything in the hurricanes, but they have been there forever and know everybody. If a comptip exists, they would probably know where to send you.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Hey P.M. thanks!

I live in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda. Funnily enough, I was the Head Sailing Instructor at BEYC up until Hurricane Irma in 2017. Unfortunately, BEYC got rid of all their Getaway masts which survived Irma and don't have anything for me icon_frown .

I've also asked around everywhere else in the area that has Getaways. Necker, Moskito, Leverick Bay.... even Biras Creek! No luck for a comptip anywhere yet.

I have at this point extended my search to the USVI and Puerto Rico before pulling the trigger on buying a new one.
  • With the widespread destruction from the hurricanes, I'm guessing most of these things went to Davy Jones locker, or a landfill. Run an ad on a St. Thomas forum/marketplace could help. If you want to source one on the US mainland, I can help. Get it to me and I can help you get it at least to Charlotte Amalie. If you find one on St. John's or St. Croix, I can get it from there to Yacht Haven Grande, Charlotte Amalie.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Any advice on a good forum/marketplace for St. Thomas?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.