Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Building beach wheels- another Covid-19 project??  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hello,
    Looking about the web, the best price that I can find on large beach tires (Nanco N800 Slick 21X12.00-8 A/2PR) is here:
    https://www.giga-tires.com/21-12.00-8/nanco-tires/n800-slick/tirecode/30151002
    $33 each

But...can anyone suggest a good rim source?
    (yes...I can see the merit of the rim design as sold by Florida Sailcraft).

PS-
    Would be building this set for a 10' wide boat.

Cameron

--
    Cameron
    Tornado (Marstrom) USA 851
    --
  • 10' wide boat = use a STRONG axel. I now have a banana axel trying to have used some galvanized fence post (1.75 inch) to extend my standard cattrax out. It WAS funny. Oh well - now I need to fork out about $80 for a 10 foot+ stick of 2" diameter, 3/16 inch wall 6061 aluminum tube...no substitute for doing it right it seems.

ANYWHO - the standard wheels will transport a 600 pound cat, but not real happily. I could use some extra rims as well. You'll need to pick up some delrin rod to make needle bearings with - or something similar. In the end, finding a used set of original is way cheaper unless you got a real good junkyard... I doubt Florida Sailcraft makes the rims, but likely sources them. Check ultra-light sources.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Certainly agree on finding a used set of Cat Trax. They come up for sale every so often. This is not a rush project.....more of a "what it"
    (I have time on my hands until film production starts up again..)

Still looking at Ultra-light sources.
    I did find these rims:
    https://www.gokartsupply.com/atvwl.htm

But...yeah...its going to be hard to beat the tire / wheel combo from Florida Sailcraft:
    https://floridasailcraft.com/product/tire-and-rim-assembly-for-cat-trax/

--
    Cameron
    --
  • don't want to be a nay sayer but in 20 years i have yet to see someone come up with a better mouse trap that was cheaper and as sturdy and long lasting as the real deal

cat or euro trax will last a longtime with minimal care
  • MN3don't want to be a nay sayer but in 20 years i have yet to see someone come up with a better mouse trap that was cheaper and as sturdy and long lasting as the real deal

cat or euro trax will last a longtime with minimal care

Totally agree. This is a fishing question..not really hopeful to find something better.

--
    Cameron
    --
  • I have used my Cat Trax since new in '89.....well worth the cost. One flat tire repair in 31 years...... icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • BTW - just found out that a properly sourced axel (2" x .125" wall, 6061 T-6 aluminum Tube/not "pipe" - 120" long) costs about $85, best price I could find. That's about wholesale. Add $80 for a set of tires delivered, then you have to find rims and bearings you're in it for about $300 I think. Might as well pick up a used set; they end up for sale everywhere and they're done.

HOWEVER - I also don't want to discourage innovative thinking, inventing and trying to build a mouse trap cheaper. I'm all about that, so give it a try. I think you could use ATV wheels (aluminum-maybe) but don't have a clue at the moment how the bearings are done. I'd love to add a second set of wheels outboard to mine, to tell the truth. 600# is a lot on them...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • More detail here than I've found anywhere:

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=119871

+1 on buy the real thing. 100s of very smart folks have attempted to duplicate/knock off FSC wheels but in the end you will have something that cost almost the same and likely doesn't work as well. It hurts $$$ but it's only one time.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I got very lucky that both my modified 18-2 has the same center line (within 3/4") as the Tornado. Having fought axles on previous Tornados, I picked up the thickest wall tubing I could get and doubled it up. I got 20', cut what I needed for the axle and sleeved it with the remaining tube. obviously, you have to slit the inner tube and it is a bear to get in. I'm not sure how many hours I have building the axle, but it barely bends. I ordered the rubber wheel cat trax from KO Sailing. I've fought with the plastic wheels and I've looked for a cheaper alternative, and they are just that.... cheap. I range from concrete, grass, compacted sand, soft sand, rock and gravel. I'm very glad I spent a bit of money on the wheels. If you go cheap, you'll just get pissed off and not use the boat.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • charlescarlisBTW - just found out that a properly sourced axel (2" x .125" wall, 6061 T-6 aluminum Tube/not "pipe" - 120" long) costs about $85, best price I could find. That's about wholesale. Add $80 for a set of tires delivered, then you have to find rims and bearings you're in it for about $300 I think. Might as well pick up a used set; they end up for sale everywhere and they're done.

HOWEVER - I also don't want to discourage innovative thinking, inventing and trying to build a mouse trap cheaper. I'm all about that, so give it a try. I think you could use ATV wheels (aluminum-maybe) but don't have a clue at the moment how the bearings are done. I'd love to add a second set of wheels outboard to mine, to tell the truth. 600# is a lot on them...

Is that price shipped for the tube? UPS and Fedex really kill you on length. Also, I doubt the tube is anodized. I did the same math you did and figured all the parts were maybe $100 less than just buying the real thing with a pre-drilled anodized aluminum tube etc.

One area you can save money on is the cradles, they are running well into the $160 per pair, I can 3D print a set for $75.
  • charlescarlisBTW - just found out that a properly sourced axel (2" x .125" wall, 6061 T-6 aluminum Tube/not "pipe" - 120" long) costs about $85, best price I could find. That's about wholesale. Add $80 for a set of tires delivered, then you have to find rims and bearings you're in it for about $300 I think. Might as well pick up a used set; they end up for sale everywhere and they're done.

Is that price shipped for the tube? UPS and Fedex really kill you on length. Also, I doubt the tube is anodized. I did the same math you did and figured all the parts were maybe $100 less than just buying the real thing with a pre-drilled anodized aluminum tube etc.

One area you can save money on is the cradles, they are running well into the $160 per pair, I can 3D print a set for $75.
  • leeboweffectMore detail here than I've found anywhere:

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=119871

+1 on buy the real thing. 100s of very smart folks have attempted to duplicate/knock off FSC wheels but in the end you will have something that cost almost the same and likely doesn't work as well. It hurts $$$ but it's only one time.

That was my set of wheels. I picked them up from an online ad for $100 CDN, that’s $65 USD. When I got there the gentleman said his answering machine was overwhelmed with buyers, go figure.
    There are several holes in the axle, so it can be adjusted to different Cats. I needed to move the wheels to fit a Hobie 18, so inspected them out.
    After costing all the parts, I really don’t think you can come ahead with homebuilts.
    Do a search in the posts for home builds. IIRC, Bacho built a pretty good set a few years ago, using ATV wheels.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • What is the possibility of 3D printing wheels like eurotrax uses?

http://www.kmnautisme.com/4405-large/eurotrax-hub-rim-for-8-balloon-wheels.jpg

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Check for a local electrical supply house for 2" aluminum conduit (sch 40). I paid $25 for 8ft of 1-1/4" for my cat wings. Aluminum conduit is rare unless a local industry requires it in their spec. It is also a little hard to find a supply house that sells to the public. If you buy the wheels and rims from FL sailcraft ~$340 you could possible come out ahead.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I just replaced my axel last night with 1.5", sch 40 pipe, which ends up being 1.90 OD (roughly). It's a little sloppier, but worked fine. I still doubt it's going to hold up to the weight of my boat though.

I got a 20' section of 6061, T-6 pipe for $60 and had them cut it at 10' for me. 2" OD round tube at 3/16 diameter wall thickness runs $90 out the door for just 10 feet, but that supplier couldn't cut it as "the guy was out". Seems like for the average Joe without a pig for a boat could get by with the pipe.

Neither are anodized. I will end up painting mine, if it works. You can get the anodized version in handrail systems, I believe. In Houston, my material go-to companies are: American Fence and Supply, Steel Supply and Metal Supermarket (the most expensive). Steel Supply is really good and personable.

As for shipping - yeah $$$ for that, I imagine - I don't have to.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Quote . I still doubt it's going to hold up to the weight of my boat though.

When I had my Mystere 6.0 XL, (20’ X 10’), the dolly it came with had 4 wheels, one on each side of the hull. It worked very well, I could move the beast around on harder ground solo.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • My attempt. They worked great since building them. I just sold them with the F18 last month.

https://www.thebeachcats.…pic/topic/14435#pid45896

Edited by bacho on May 21, 2020 - 03:21 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • There are some actual Cat Trax for sale in the "Great deals" section of this forum , they are 100 bucks. I'd look at those if I were you. Great deal!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • martyrThere are some actual Cat Trax for sale in the "Great deals" section of this forum , they are 100 bucks. I'd look at those if I were you. Great deal!!!

Yes...that's a great deal! But I'm too far away most likely....

--
    Cameron
    --
  • QuoteThere are some actual Cat Trax for sale in the "Great deals" section of this forum

aka "Catamaran Parts For Sale"

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.