Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Building beach wheels- another Covid-19 project??  Bottom

• Hello,
    Looking about the web, the best price that I can find on large beach tires (Nanco N800 Slick 21X12.00-8 A/2PR) is here:
    https://www.giga-tires.com/21-12.00-8/nanco-tires/n800-slick/tirecode/30151002
    $33 each

But...can anyone suggest a good rim source?
    (yes...I can see the merit of the rim design as sold by Florida Sailcraft).

PS-
    Would be building this set for a 10' wide boat.

Cameron

--
    Cameron
    Atlanta, GA
    Tornado US 606, H16, Pearson 26
    --
  • 10' wide boat = use a STRONG axel. I now have a banana axel trying to have used some galvanized fence post (1.75 inch) to extend my standard cattrax out. It WAS funny. Oh well - now I need to fork out about $80 for a 10 foot+ stick of 2" diameter, 3/16 inch wall 6061 aluminum tube...no substitute for doing it right it seems.

ANYWHO - the standard wheels will transport a 600 pound cat, but not real happily. I could use some extra rims as well. You'll need to pick up some delrin rod to make needle bearings with - or something similar. In the end, finding a used set of original is way cheaper unless you got a real good junkyard... I doubt Florida Sailcraft makes the rims, but likely sources them. Check ultra-light sources.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Certainly agree on finding a used set of Cat Trax. They come up for sale every so often. This is not a rush project.....more of a "what it"
    (I have time on my hands until film production starts up again..)

Still looking at Ultra-light sources.
    I did find these rims:
    https://www.gokartsupply.com/atvwl.htm

But...yeah...its going to be hard to beat the tire / wheel combo from Florida Sailcraft:
    https://floridasailcraft.com/product/tire-and-rim-assembly-for-cat-trax/

--
    Cameron
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • don't want to be a nay sayer but in 20 years i have yet to see someone come up with a better mouse trap that was cheaper and as sturdy and long lasting as the real deal

cat or euro trax will last a longtime with minimal care
  • MN3don't want to be a nay sayer but in 20 years i have yet to see someone come up with a better mouse trap that was cheaper and as sturdy and long lasting as the real deal

cat or euro trax will last a longtime with minimal care

Totally agree. This is a fishing question..not really hopeful to find something better.

--
    Cameron
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • I have used my Cat Trax since new in '89.....well worth the cost. One flat tire repair in 31 years...... icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • BTW - just found out that a properly sourced axel (2" x .125" wall, 6061 T-6 aluminum Tube/not "pipe" - 120" long) costs about $85, best price I could find. That's about wholesale. Add $80 for a set of tires delivered, then you have to find rims and bearings you're in it for about $300 I think. Might as well pick up a used set; they end up for sale everywhere and they're done.

HOWEVER - I also don't want to discourage innovative thinking, inventing and trying to build a mouse trap cheaper. I'm all about that, so give it a try. I think you could use ATV wheels (aluminum-maybe) but don't have a clue at the moment how the bearings are done. I'd love to add a second set of wheels outboard to mine, to tell the truth. 600# is a lot on them...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • More detail here than I've found anywhere:

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=119871

+1 on buy the real thing. 100s of very smart folks have attempted to duplicate/knock off FSC wheels but in the end you will have something that cost almost the same and likely doesn't work as well. It hurts $$$ but it's only one time.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I got very lucky that both my modified 18-2 has the same center line (within 3/4") as the Tornado. Having fought axles on previous Tornados, I picked up the thickest wall tubing I could get and doubled it up. I got 20', cut what I needed for the axle and sleeved it with the remaining tube. obviously, you have to slit the inner tube and it is a bear to get in. I'm not sure how many hours I have building the axle, but it barely bends. I ordered the rubber wheel cat trax from KO Sailing. I've fought with the plastic wheels and I've looked for a cheaper alternative, and they are just that.... cheap. I range from concrete, grass, compacted sand, soft sand, rock and gravel. I'm very glad I spent a bit of money on the wheels. If you go cheap, you'll just get pissed off and not use the boat.

--
    Scott

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly" - gone
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • charlescarlisBTW - just found out that a properly sourced axel (2" x .125" wall, 6061 T-6 aluminum Tube/not "pipe" - 120" long) costs about $85, best price I could find. That's about wholesale. Add $80 for a set of tires delivered, then you have to find rims and bearings you're in it for about $300 I think. Might as well pick up a used set; they end up for sale everywhere and they're done.

HOWEVER - I also don't want to discourage innovative thinking, inventing and trying to build a mouse trap cheaper. I'm all about that, so give it a try. I think you could use ATV wheels (aluminum-maybe) but don't have a clue at the moment how the bearings are done. I'd love to add a second set of wheels outboard to mine, to tell the truth. 600# is a lot on them...

Is that price shipped for the tube? UPS and Fedex really kill you on length. Also, I doubt the tube is anodized. I did the same math you did and figured all the parts were maybe $100 less than just buying the real thing with a pre-drilled anodized aluminum tube etc.

One area you can save money on is the cradles, they are running well into the $160 per pair, I can 3D print a set for $75.
  • charlescarlisBTW - just found out that a properly sourced axel (2" x .125" wall, 6061 T-6 aluminum Tube/not "pipe" - 120" long) costs about $85, best price I could find. That's about wholesale. Add $80 for a set of tires delivered, then you have to find rims and bearings you're in it for about $300 I think. Might as well pick up a used set; they end up for sale everywhere and they're done.

Is that price shipped for the tube? UPS and Fedex really kill you on length. Also, I doubt the tube is anodized. I did the same math you did and figured all the parts were maybe $100 less than just buying the real thing with a pre-drilled anodized aluminum tube etc.

One area you can save money on is the cradles, they are running well into the $160 per pair, I can 3D print a set for $75.
  • leeboweffectMore detail here than I've found anywhere:

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=119871

+1 on buy the real thing. 100s of very smart folks have attempted to duplicate/knock off FSC wheels but in the end you will have something that cost almost the same and likely doesn't work as well. It hurts $$$ but it's only one time.

That was my set of wheels. I picked them up from an online ad for $100 CDN, that’s $65 USD. When I got there the gentleman said his answering machine was overwhelmed with buyers, go figure.
    There are several holes in the axle, so it can be adjusted to different Cats. I needed to move the wheels to fit a Hobie 18, so inspected them out.
    After costing all the parts, I really don’t think you can come ahead with homebuilts.
    Do a search in the posts for home builds. IIRC, Bacho built a pretty good set a few years ago, using ATV wheels.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • What is the possibility of 3D printing wheels like eurotrax uses?

http://www.kmnautisme.com/4405-large/eurotrax-hub-rim-for-8-balloon-wheels.jpg

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Nacra I20,P18, P16,H16
    --
  • Check for a local electrical supply house for 2" aluminum conduit (sch 40). I paid $25 for 8ft of 1-1/4" for my cat wings. Aluminum conduit is rare unless a local industry requires it in their spec. It is also a little hard to find a supply house that sells to the public. If you buy the wheels and rims from FL sailcraft ~$340 you could possible come out ahead.

--
    Robert
    81' NACRA 5.2
    Previously owned H18, Trac 14, G-Cat 5.0, H14T, H16, N5.0
    BYC, Mobile, AL
    --
  • I just replaced my axel last night with 1.5", sch 40 pipe, which ends up being 1.90 OD (roughly). It's a little sloppier, but worked fine. I still doubt it's going to hold up to the weight of my boat though.

I got a 20' section of 6061, T-6 pipe for $60 and had them cut it at 10' for me. 2" OD round tube at 3/16 diameter wall thickness runs $90 out the door for just 10 feet, but that supplier couldn't cut it as "the guy was out". Seems like for the average Joe without a pig for a boat could get by with the pipe.

Neither are anodized. I will end up painting mine, if it works. You can get the anodized version in handrail systems, I believe. In Houston, my material go-to companies are: American Fence and Supply, Steel Supply and Metal Supermarket (the most expensive). Steel Supply is really good and personable.

As for shipping - yeah $$$ for that, I imagine - I don't have to.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Quote . I still doubt it's going to hold up to the weight of my boat though.

When I had my Mystere 6.0 XL, (20’ X 10’), the dolly it came with had 4 wheels, one on each side of the hull. It worked very well, I could move the beast around on harder ground solo.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • My attempt. They worked great since building them. I just sold them with the F18 last month.

https://www.thebeachcats.…pic/topic/14435#pid45896

Edited by bacho on May 21, 2020 - 03:21 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • There are some actual Cat Trax for sale in the "Great deals" section of this forum , they are 100 bucks. I'd look at those if I were you. Great deal!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • martyrThere are some actual Cat Trax for sale in the "Great deals" section of this forum , they are 100 bucks. I'd look at those if I were you. Great deal!!!

Yes...that's a great deal! But I'm too far away most likely....

--
    Cameron
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • QuoteThere are some actual Cat Trax for sale in the "Great deals" section of this forum

aka "Catamaran Parts For Sale"

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.