Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

So it's spring and you aren't sailing yet?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I guess carry on as if there is no pandemic?YOU NEED TOO STAY HOME
    especially being on the front lines you should know better!!!!!
  • Your gov. Abbot has issued a stay home order last week what part do you not understand
  • Respectfully,

That's not how it works here. The stay at home order specifically excludes outdoor recreational activities with proper distancing. I've not sen anyone messing that up, but I'm not stupid either. Boat ramp etiquette seems to be there. It's WAY more risky to go to the grocery store than to an isolated area with your immediate family to sail. It's full on spring here and people need to, and should get out to exercise, etc. Just, done right. I only see my friends on computers on Fridays, etc. Our beaches got shut down because tourists came in and acted stupid. We (our county) are actually doing better than most and are prepared better than most. It's also a more "spaced out" social arrangement than New York, East coast old cities.

Other than what has been allowed, we ARE at home most of the time. Sailing with my son and daughter is no more risky than eating with them... But then there is likely a huge difference in social, geographical arrangements between cities. Some of the foremost infectious disease docs in the nation work in this county at one of the most prominent National Laboratories feeding good guidance to our county health officials directly.

Yeah, I'm on the front lines, but I've been professionally trained for this for many years, responded to the Texas Ebola event, etc. I don't do stupid. It's a change of life style we're after, really-not "hunker down prepper style". Realistically, we're in this until July/August, if we get a May peak, so... And, yes we wear masks if we go to the store, decon before getting in car, restricting to only one family member shopping, etc. I also don't get to travel for the foreseeable future... I can and have the ability to sail safely. That said, I apparently have only been doing trailer upgrades and cleanup/time saving tricks as I trailer sail only and missed an awesome day today. Taught my daughter how to properly drill through aluminum, types of stainless steel, difference between types of fasteners, etc.

How are you spending your time?

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Yes, this social shaming is BS. I also sail with my kids once a week in a place where allowable and maintain distance with everyone except my family. It is no different than going out to ride bikes with my family or jogging around the block with my family. Just because you are locked out because people have been behaving badly, doesn't give you the right to socially shame those of us who still have access and follow the rules.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • charlescarlis That said, I apparently have only been doing trailer upgrades and cleanup/time saving tricks as I trailer sail only and missed an awesome day today. Taught my daughter how to properly drill through aluminum, types of stainless steel, difference between types of fasteners, etc.

How are you spending your time?

Here in North Florida guidelines have been announced that public boat ramps are open but boaters can only launch one boat at a time even if it is a double ramp and must maintain a 50' distance on the water. Many people are taking full advantage of this especially since all city, county and state parks are closed.

I fully intend to live my life in a way that does not endanger me, my family or others but that does not include sitting by myself in a fort made from stacks of MRE's and toilet paper and criticizing anyone else who leaves their bunker.

Lets skip the social shaming.

This weekend I taught my 13 year old how to replace a broken spoke on his mountain bike wheel then we constructed a rain and sun shade for my camp trailer from an old sail. Also went food shopping for my very elderly neighbors.

Brad in Jax
    2x Stiletto 27's. One for sale soon.

Edited by bradinjax on Apr 06, 2020 - 05:08 PM.
  • Ditto to the above - keeping father-in-law and sister-in-law stocked since they are at higher risk. Checked in with neighbors each time going to store to see if they need anything.

And...rescued a yellow-bellied water snake that found it's way to the front porch. Gad they can stink it up when pissed off! But, set her off down the road in the woods... Guess she was hunting lizards around the house and really ready to lay eggs... DIfferent ending to that story if it was a moccasin.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • This is not meant to be political but it will be interesting to see how Sweden comes out of this in the end with their strategy of only quarantining older people and people with health issues. Real life test on completely opposite strategies on a specific virus that mainly kills old and failing health.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • In Canada we can go to the pharmacy Dr appt or groceries other than that stay home.We can go outside for fresh air and stretch your legs but stay 6 ft from anyone else thats it and if you break the rules tickets fines starting at $750 and more, companies and corp. that break the rules fines in the millions and we self isolate for 14 days when we think we were exposed travel or local contact just finished my 14 days and now I still can't go anywhere but home. Boat ramps are closed off parks and play structures are taped off all buisness is closed unless essential we are basically in total lockdown here and the end not in sight yet watch too much TV now.
  • I am also curious about Sweden and how it will unveil there. The difference is that the people of Sweden have trust in their government and follow the rules. I will remain skeptical and observe, wishing them all the best. To be honest I have issues wrapping my mind around it all. I am torn between sitting at home and actually going out once in a while to sail or jog.
    The main thing being: I trust myself but I do not trust others.

--
    "There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm." Willa Cather
    https://www.abn-lookup.com/
    --
  • catsalorI guess carry on as if there is no pandemic?YOU NEED TOO STAY HOME
    especially being on the front lines you should know better!!!!!

Wow, who died and left you in charge. Truly, there are coping tools i.e. distancing we all need to practice. However, as others have said, shaming serves no one. Clearly, the gentleman is well versed in his field and I would guess better trained than you to deal with the issues.
    As loud as you shamed, you need to step up and apologize.

If you are expecting accountability, you need to practice it first.

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    "There's not enough rum in the drum"
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.