Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Update on Colligo Beach Cat Rig  Bottom

• (Disclaimer, I'm not paid by Colligo or on their staff, just let them use my boat as a test mule). I needed to replace my shrouds and wanted something to last longer than steel....here is where we catch up to the story,

Well, I'm coming upon 2 years with the Dyneema rig on the boat. I've put countless hours on it, and lots of high wind use. There is virtually no wear on the system and if it has stretched I cant tell. I check it periodically with a loos gauge about once ever 2 months. I replaced my diamond wires 3 months before my shrouds and forestay. They are already showing rust in the swages and are coming on time for replacement in the next year or so. There is by comparison no wear on the shrouds, minus very minimal fuzz (barely visible).

Now for how u use this rig. As many of you know I'm mostly a single hand sailor, and as such I look for strength as well as ease of use. This rig uses a 3:1 lashing line with a stopper knot system to keep the rig under tension. Per the large loos gauge I am putting just short of 500lbs tension on the shrouds just by clipping in my harness and pulling the lashing line to the stops. Because of the extra length of the lashing line I am also able to lean the rig 15 to 20* forward for mast stepping as well as canting the rig for racing point to point racing on a single tack much like a wind surfer.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132815&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132819&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Up top is the only place that I have found any sign of wear (minor fuzz), and that is where the shroud touches on the hound of the mast while trailering. I have fixed that by putting tape on the shroud where it hangs while trailering to provide some chafe coverage. There is also some minor wear on the sail maker thimbles that hold the shroud in the mast head shackle, but none on the actual shroud. I may press in a new thimble in the next year to give extra protection, but once again this is not a major issue and should last for years more even if I dont touch it. I also plan on putting a smaller hound about 6 inches above the main hound to move my trap wires higher and off the same shackle as the shrouds and eliminate a other possibility of wear

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132811
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=132807

From looking at the rigging life of other vessels that are running similar rigs, I expect about 10 years life from the rig, and possibly longer. I will continue to update as I use the boat. In terms of performance, I can get the rig tighter than wire and rigging is much easier. While under sail, the rig transfer of power is a little more immediate as the rope does not stretch as we have sized it for under way loads being less than 20% of the lines breaking strength. We also expect the rig to not wear from duty cycles as the boat is taken down after every sail. It took 3 sails for the rig to settle to final tension, and it has not moved since.

I'll be glad to answer any questions on the boat/rig, and it can be found at

https://www.colligomarine…cts/beach-cat-shroud-set

For the future of this project, I plan on going to a soft forestay as well made from 9mm torque rope. This will be sized for stretch as is the rest of the rig. This will allow me to eliminate the hated Prinde ring and hook halyard for the jib as well as another point of failure.

Thanks for reading, and again I'm not paid by Colligo Marine, just letting them use my boat for testing.

Edited by cholley12 on Apr 09, 2020 - 07:58 PM.

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • cholley12(Disclaimer, I'm not paid by Colligo or on their staff, just let them use my boat as a test mule). I needed to replace my shrouds and wanted something to last longer than steel....here is where we catch up to the story,

Well, I'm coming upon 2 years with the Dyneema rig on the boat. I've put countless hours on it, and lots of high wind use. There is virtually no wear on the system and if it has stretched I cant tell. I check it periodically with a loos gauge about once ever 2 months. I replaced my diamond wires 3 months before my shrouds and forestay. They are already showing rust in the swages and are coming on time for replacement in the next year or so. There is by comparison no wear on the shrouds, minus very minimal fuzz (barely visible).

Now for how u use this rig. As many of you know I'm mostly a single hand sailor, and as such I look for strength as well as ease of use. This rig uses a 3:1 lashing line with a stopper knot system to keep the rig under tension. Per the large loos gauge I am putting just short of 500lbs tension on the shrouds just by clipping in my harness and pulling the lashing line to the stops. Because of the extra length of the lashing line I am also able to lean the rig 15 to 20* forward for mast stepping as well as canting the rig for racing point to point racing on a single tack much like a wind surfer.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132818&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132822&g2_serialNumber=3

Up top is the only place that I have found any sign of wear (minor fuzz), and that is where the shroud touches on the hound of the mast while trailering. I have fixed that by putting tape on the shroud where it hangs while trailering to provide some chafe coverage. There is also some minor wear on the sail maker thimbles that hold the shroud in the mast head shackle, but none on the actual shroud. I may press in a new thimble in the next year to give extra protection, but once again this is not a major issue and should last for years more even if I dont touch it. I also plan on putting a smaller hound about 6 inches above the main hound to move my trap wires higher and off the same shackle as the shrouds and eliminate a other possibility of wear

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132814&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132810&g2_serialNumber=3

From looking at the rigging life of other vessels that are running similar rigs, I expect about 10 years life from the rig, and possibly longer. I will continue to update as I use the boat. In terms of performance, I can get the rig tighter than wire and rigging is much easier. While under sail, the rig transfer of power is a little more immediate as the rope does not stretch as we have sized it for under way loads being less than 20% of the lines breaking strength. We also expect the rig to not wear from duty cycles as the boat is taken down after every sail. It took 3 sails for the rig to settle to final tension, and it has not moved since.

I'll be glad to answer any questions on the boat/rig, and it can be found at

https://www.colligomarine…cts/beach-cat-shroud-set

For the future of this project, I plan on going to a soft forestay as well made from 9mm torque rope. This will be sized for stretch as is the rest of the rig. This will allow me to eliminate the hated Prinde ring and hook halyard for the jib as well as another point of failure.

Thanks for reading, and again I'm not paid by Colligo Marine, just letting them use my boat for testing.Edited by cholley12 on Apr 09, 2020 - 07:58 PM.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks Chis, this looks like a sure fire performance upgrade. I imagine there’s a significant less weight advantage as well. Does the set time take the same amount of time?

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • It doesn't weight much less. Although I'll weigh a shroud vs a shroud in the next month

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Forgot to answer question 2 what do you mean by set time? Set up on site?

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • https://youtu.be/lz3hbRmy-7w

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Yes, from the time you arrive at launch site to feet wet. Is it easier and or faster rigging time versus standard wire rigging or is it a moot point? Thanks for quick response
  • Impressive video, you’re a very squared away salt!

T. Stein, BMCS USCG, (RET)

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • tsteinYes, from the time you arrive at launch site to feet wet. Is it easier and or faster rigging time versus standard wire rigging or is it a moot point? Thanks for quick response

For me it is definitely faster, no dealing with kinking wires, and the best part is I can fully tension my rig alone. I would say on average I'm looking at a 15-20 minute reduction in rigging time with this stuff. It's about a pound difference in rigging, but the difference is made up in ease of rigging and less stretch

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Quote less stretch

?
  • MN3
    Quote less stretch

?

The load we are working at is below the working load of the line which has a higher working load than that of the steel, it stretches less under load because of the construction and the fact that it is heat set line. Its minor but it does stretch less

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • interesting
    i found this chart on the colligo site - https://www.p2marine.com/…/colligo-dux-stretch.pdf

I love HM lines but i don't see how your rigging is faster than my rigging
    we have the same amount of wires/lines, we both wrap and secure them to our decks - i don't (usually) wresstle with my shrouds, occasionally they fight me, but that adds about 10 seconds to the process.
  • I I find it's faster to get under full tension due to the design of the system, no more pins, no more ring dings, all that stuff is eliminated

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • This has moved up higher on my to-do list now that I see Colligo has full kits available. Cant wait to see the Beachcat sized continuous line roller furler integrated into the anti-torsion cable as forestay.

Thanks for the vid!

Brad in Jax
    2x Stiletto 27s (one for sale soon)
  • QuoteI I find it's faster to get under full tension due to the design of the system, no more pins, no more ring dings, all that stuff is eliminated

Roger that! yes if you are using the side stay adjuster to tension your rig i can see how not messing with pins and rings are a nice upgrade
  • If you are not into dyneema/dux and staying with steel then Sta-Masters are the ticket for shroud adjustment .. no pins, no rings. I am in the process of converting over all of my boats.

The folks on the F-Boat forum have to adjust (due to stretch) their shrouds at the beginning of each season. Would you have the same issue each time you launch since the shrouds are not under constant tension?

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • I just thought of another advantage besides weight savings, increased strength, and increase ease and speed of rigging.

When righting the boat releasing the upper shroud tensioner should act like a Highfield lever which would greatly assist the righting effort.

Huge advantage for boats that require 2 (or more) people to right.

Good stuff!

Brad
  • dssaak

The folks on the F-Boat forum have to adjust (due to stretch) their shrouds at the beginning of each season. Would you have the same issue each time you launch since the shrouds are not under constant tension?

This problem has mostly gone away in the last 2-3 years as products like Dux are now pre-stretched. My experience in installing synthetic rigging in the last 2 years is: install, sail 3-4 times, adjust, done. Your mostly just bedding the splices. You can tell if it is pre-stretched synthetic line if it is a little more stiff and more wire-like. Unstretched synthetic line is silky smooth and buttery to the point of slickness.

Brad in Jax
    2x Stiletto 27s (one for sale)
  • bradinjaxI just thought of another advantage besides weight savings, increased strength, and increase ease and speed of rigging.

When righting the boat releasing the upper shroud tensioner should act like a Highfield lever which would greatly assist the righting effort.

Huge advantage for boats that require 2 (or more) people to right.

Good stuff!

Brad

Good thought, but for the fact that mine are so tight that releasing it would prove very difficult. I suppose providing enough slack from the hull laying over it could be done. I'll have to try it some time

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • bradinjax
    dssaak

This problem has mostly gone away in the last 2-3 years as products like Dux are now pre-stretched. My experience in installing synthetic rigging in the last 2 years is: install, sail 3-4 times, adjust, done. Your mostly just bedding the splices. You can tell if it is pre-stretched synthetic line if it is a little more stiff and more wire-like. Unstretched synthetic line is silky smooth and buttery to the point of slickness.

Brad in Jax
    2x Stiletto 27s (one for sale)

Exactly my experience

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.