Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sail Box  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• You'd want to line that with a plywood "floor" so hardware like the boom and tiller stick slide in an out easily.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • ropewalkerSam;
    Do you transport with the spin pole attached to the front beam? How is the front supported?

samc99usSpin poles come in many flavors. I've been carrying mine outside the box for a while now, but you need a good cover for the bag or will have issues. Nacra build their new poles with Rivnuts so 2-3 screws is all it takes to strip the hoop, then its actually much easier to transport in a box or outside.

No, I take it off for travel. It goes between the trailer front and rear crossbars, where I have some non-skid applied for protection. I've also seen them placed between the front and rear crossbars of the boat itself, with some carpet used for padding.
  • ropewalkerSam;
    Do you transport with the spin pole attached to the front beam? How is the front supported?

samc99usSpin poles come in many flavors. I've been carrying mine outside the box for a while now, but you need a good cover for the bag or will have issues. Nacra build their new poles with Rivnuts so 2-3 screws is all it takes to strip the hoop, then its actually much easier to transport in a box or outside.

No, I take it off for travel. It goes between the trailer front and rear crossbars, where I have some non-skid applied for protection. I've also seen them placed between the front and rear crossbars of the boat itself, with some carpet used for padding.
  • mattsonI've been using the same large PVC tube for a sail box for over 35 years. It's on a galvanized trailer that I've exchanged trailers with boats I've purchased over the years. What I like about it is that you can easily use it solo, opening one end and sliding stuff out. And if you replace the cutting boards with thick Teflon panels like I did recently, it can be VERY secure.

Details are here:

https://www.thebeachcats.…hives/v1-i6/feature1.htm

The only small but very important change is to use stainless screws, not drywall screws.

I spoke with Frank recently about where he sourced the pipe as I was looking for one for another project and found them to be outrageously expensive. He said he vaguely remembered an agricultural supply yard and paid a couple hundred bucks. Finding the pipe at a reasonable cost might be the biggest challenge with this.

At some point the cutting boards and hinges started falling apart and I replaced the access doors with single circles of thick teflon (no hinges). A stainless tang on one side fits into a slot in the pipe, and a standard cam lock on the other side also latches into a slot.

The problem is sourcing the large white PVC pipe for this job. It has been replaced with the black corrugated variety from what I have found. The black stuff is less durable, waaay more flexible and hotter. It would work in a pinch but I don't think would make an ideal trailer box.

A friend recently built a box out of galvanized steel roofing and build frames for the roofing from 2" x 2" PVC. Its a slick looking setup.
  • samc99usA friend recently built a box out of galvanized steel roofing and build frames for the roofing from 2" x 2" PVC. Its a slick looking setup.

Please post photos!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.