Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sail Box  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I am working on an inter 20 and need a longer sailbox for the spinnaker pole. The spinnaker pole with snuffer is too long to fit in the box. The box is made of 3 fiberglass sections (see photos below). I recall this type of box was very popular years ago. Does anyone know who made the box and if I can buy sections? I would rather not have to splash a mold to make parts if I can find reasonable parts or an old box to scavenge.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132572&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132579&g2_serialNumber=4

Thank You

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • The short answer is probably not...the cheapest solution is to cut a hole and cap it with PVC.

The next option is to buy a new 12' box for $2k+.
  • Get hold of Kenny B. He’s probably the expert in this area

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I have never seen a fiberglass box that came with a spin pole setup
    as mentioned you will prob need to fabricate a solution

or purchase something custom
  • Looks like the trailer already has a PVC tube mounted to it, presumably for holding the spin pole. Seems like you already have a solution for carrying the pole.

sm
  • Looks like the trailer already has a PVC tube mounted to it, presumably for holding the spin pole. Seems like you already have a solution for carrying the pole.

sm
  • Box looks big enough for the spin pole. My pole is a two piece, remove the hoop, pull it apart, shorter than the boom. My trailer has a 12" PVC tube on it. I can measure it if you would like.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • QuoteLooks like the trailer already has a PVC tube mounted to it, presumably for holding the spin pole. Seems like you already have a solution for carrying the pole.

sm

spin poles have hoops and snuffer bags attached -
    i would assume most hoops are riveted to the pole like both mine are (no one wants bolt ends or nuts near their spin hoop where the spin can snag and rip)

most poles i have seen are single piece alum or cf - so taking it apart for storage is not an option

Edited by MN3 on Feb 24, 2020 - 01:56 PM.
  • To elaborate on what Sam said, I've seen people just make an extension for the box by getting a PVC flange, bolting it to the box, add a piece of tube with cap on the end for the end of the pole to fit in.
  • http://www.sailboxes.com/

Talk to Kenny, he has the molds for that box.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Spin poles come in many flavors. I've been carrying mine outside the box for a while now, but you need a good cover for the bag or will have issues. Nacra build their new poles with Rivnuts so 2-3 screws is all it takes to strip the hoop, then its actually much easier to transport in a box or outside.
  • Thanks guys. I'm converting to a midpole SNU like setup and plan to leave the hoop and chute in the snuffer on the pole for quick rigging. I have a 1 piece carbon 14' pole from my 6.0 and do not want to cut it down or make it 2 pieces. I will talk with Kenny. Stretching the box will also allow me to fit all of the gear including harnesses, wetsuits, etc.

Cheers,

--
    David
    Inter 20
    Southern Maine
    --
  • I modified my spin pole (stock midpole snuffer) to break down in two pieces, to fit in the box. Works well, and I have used the same pole for years. No tools or fasteners involved, just slips together.

Edited by P.M. on Feb 25, 2020 - 10:38 AM.

--
    Philip
    --
  • The F18 that I am sailing has a 6" diameter PVC pipe protruding forward out of the sailbox. I think this would be a lot cheaper than a new sailbox. It works great except we have a new spi pole that is 8" longer that the old pole. Now we need to lengthen the PVC pipe...

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • Thanks Ron...David contacted me and we're working on a solution. BTW... I have a mold for spin pole extensions if anyone wants one.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Video on facebook for sailbox.
    https://m.facebook.com/gr…link&id=1273559836170078

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • Sam;
    Do you transport with the spin pole attached to the front beam? How is the front supported?

samc99usSpin poles come in many flavors. I've been carrying mine outside the box for a while now, but you need a good cover for the bag or will have issues. Nacra build their new poles with Rivnuts so 2-3 screws is all it takes to strip the hoop, then its actually much easier to transport in a box or outside.

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • I've been using the same large PVC tube for a sail box for over 35 years. It's on a galvanized trailer that I've exchanged trailers with boats I've purchased over the years. What I like about it is that you can easily use it solo, opening one end and sliding stuff out. And if you replace the cutting boards with thick Teflon panels like I did recently, it can be VERY secure.

Details are here:

https://www.thebeachcats.…hives/v1-i6/feature1.htm

The only small but very important change is to use stainless screws, not drywall screws.

I spoke with Frank recently about where he sourced the pipe as I was looking for one for another project and found them to be outrageously expensive. He said he vaguely remembered an agricultural supply yard and paid a couple hundred bucks. Finding the pipe at a reasonable cost might be the biggest challenge with this.

At some point the cutting boards and hinges started falling apart and I replaced the access doors with single circles of thick teflon (no hinges). A stainless tang on one side fits into a slot in the pipe, and a standard cam lock on the other side also latches into a slot.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • I have also been looking to add a 2nd sail box to fit all my stuff. I had been looking at this drainage pipe from Tractor Supply:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/culvert-hdpe-15-in-x-20-ft-hdpe-1520-1330855?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1330855&gclid=CjwKCAjw1cX0BRBmEiwAy9tKHg-y3bbNSatWWdUk63OAlAurxXIB7yeHV3z6glT1mzGn6LneMXaKLRoCt3gQAvD_BwE
  • Note, a quick search of Tractor Supply will show they also have 18" and 24".

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.