Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boat paint suggestions?  Bottom

• I need to paint the bottom of my Sunfish sailboat. I figure I only need a pint maybe a little more, but less than a quart of paint,
    to complete the job. I've been told to use a marine bottom type paint product, as it will be in the water,
    (only for sailing, otherwiise on land).

A quart of paint is around $40. Is it really that expensive?

Any suggestions? Can I use another type of paint other than marine bottom paint, since boat will only be in water during use, then stored on land. I was thinking enamal ?

Thanks

Edited by venen on Dec 12, 2019 - 07:43 AM.
  • Bigger question.
    Is your Sunfish a weekend beater?
    If your Sunfish is as most are, just weekend beaters to take out and do dumb things with, then I would go as simple and cheap as possible.
    If you have any real expectation beyond that, then perhaps do it correctly.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • venen. I've been told to use a marine bottom type paint product, as it will be in the water,
    (only for sailing, otherwiise on land).

You do not need “bottom paint”
    That product contains powerful anti growth compounds,(at least the older copper infused products did), that prevent marine growth such as algae from gaining a foothold on submersed areas.
    Your boat is only in the water for maybe a day at a time, then dry stored. You will not see the issues bottom paint was made to prevent.
    All of the high quality products are expensive, but even more so when purchased in small quantities. Often you can buy a gallon for only a little more than 2 quarts.
    I have to ask, why do you “need to paint” the bottom?
    If you are on a tight budget, clean it up & wax it. A quart, or less of high quality product will do your entire Sunfish for a few years, at less cost.

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 12, 2019 - 10:14 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Side note - Your sunfish originally had gelcoat. It didn't ever have "bottom paint" or otherwise.
    I know of a few nice catamarans that are sailing around with automotive paint. No issues.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • I agree that bottom paint is not necessary. Keep in mind that there are several types of bottom paint based on things like how fast the boat goes, where the boat is located, and how often the boat is taken out of the water.

With that being said conventional wisdom is that painting is the easy part, prep before painting is the hard part. This means at a minimum sanding and then cleaning after sanding with some type of liquid (often acetone). It also may be necessary to use some type of filler to smooth out any small chips or other damage. This means more sanding and acetone. You will also need a clean place to paint the boat with no wind to blow debris on the wet paint. You also need to pay attention to what temperatures the paint needs to dry correctly.

Another consideration is using gelcoat instead of paint. While more time consuming and expensive it is more durable and better looking. This vid is a place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XwvsorsYw
  • I used rustoleum spray paint in a pinch. Held up fine for 4 years. Still looked good when the boat was sold.
  • I use Rustoleum Topside paint which is marine grade:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Marine-Coatings-White-Gloss-Enamel-Oil-Based-Marine-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/3200853

If you want it a bit stronger and decrease drying time you can add in a little Valspar Enamel Hardner:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNY1MY

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • I use Rustoleum Topside paint which is marine grade:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Marine-Coatings-White-Gloss-Enamel-Oil-Based-Marine-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/3200853

If you want it a bit stronger and decrease drying time you can add in a little Valspar Enamel Hardner:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNY1MY

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • Once you paint it you're married to that formula of paint.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Martin Senor acrylic enamel from NAPA has worked quite well for me. Yes, it's a true automotive grade and more $$$ than the hardware store variant but the nozzle is as important as the paint if you're trying to do a decent job. In the last few years I've seen nothing but cheap nozzles on the Rust-O-leum products which spit/spurt etc. as in sloppy with very little control.

If you use acrylic enamel it's very important to let it cure completely before use. A week or more in bright sunshine has worked well for me.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.