Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First catamaran supercat 19?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• QuoteThe mast base is subjected to exactly the loads it was designed for. The trap lines are (unless something has been screwed up) subjected to almost no load at all, since the tension on them only increases if and when the mast goes off lateral center - exactly what they're there to prevent

for sailors, or riggers whom have personally set up and dialed in a gin pole, it's not that crazy of a system if you know what you are doing. and all the gear is sound... and nothing goes wrong ( i help a pro rigger step (and sail) his f31r mast and it is always heart pounding for me)

for me: after sailing a hobie 16 for a few years and upping to an h18 with spreaders .. i got a ez-step system (dreaming of solo stepping/sailing). it took hours to set up and at several times the mast swung out and would have taken out a person or car window with just 2 clicks of the winch. i am surprised the bast base didn't fail. The guy i bought my 5.5 from took out his picture window setting up his supercat 17 gin pole when it swung wildly during set up.

in the video there were 2 adults and several things went wrong, mostly operator error. this is to be expected when people lack experience setting these up. no mast fell, people where around to help (now 3 adults), no big deal

around here LOTS of people get discouraged during and after a series of frustrating issues due to the complexity and overwhelming amount of systems to manage. ... and lack of experience/ knowledge

(these 2 people could have just both jumped on the tramp and both stepped the mast, or one on a line tied to the forestay ... a gin pole was not even needed)

this is a "big boy" boat.
    i have been on a few supercats in 20 knots (17's and 19's, both with very experienced skippers). this is a wet Monster in 20 knots. if you don't have it trimmed correctly, you are gonna be in trouble and so will anybody / thing in your way.

------

this is in a thread where a 16 year old lazer/420 sailor (whom i am happy to hear) is asking about moving up into a much higher performance (aka fun) class of boat

i will stand by my initial suggestion
    go simple and light .. increase performance as skills, desire and funds allow / push you - ymmv

--

Edited by MN3 on Dec 14, 2019 - 09:36 AM.
  • MN3
    in the video there were 2 adults and several things went wrong, mostly operator error. this is to be expected when people lack experience setting these up. no mast fell, people where around to help (now 3 adults), no big deal

around here LOTS of people get discouraged during and after a series of frustrating issues due to the complexity and overwhelming amount of systems to manage. ... and lack of experience/ knowledge

(these 2 people could have just both jumped on the tramp and both stepped the mast, or one on a line tied to the forestay ... a gin pole was not even needed)

Right on all fronts, but...

What I saw in that video was 100% bozo factor, the evidence being buddy on the ground wearing sailing gloves (when there was no rope to be pulled) and a GoPro (when he should have been concentrating on a critical and potentially hazardous task). His mind was on looking like a sailor for video. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that, but you should save it for when you actually know what you're doing. Until then it's a dangerous distraction, as we saw here.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • The short answer to all of this is sail with friends! You may sail solo but going with friends and other boats you always have help to rig your boat.

Personally, I would never free lift a mast with no assistance. To me, it is too easy to get things off line and into trouble and not worth the chance.

Light, fast, fun (and simple if you want it) .... F16. 240#s all up! I know it is not the boat for everyone but that is why I own four others. icon_wink

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaakThe short answer to all of this is sail with friends! You may sail solo but going with friends and other boats you always have help to rig your boat.

Personally, I would never free lift a mast with no assistance. To me, it is too easy to get things off line and into trouble and not worth the chance.

I'm not going to call this bad advice, but it doesn't work for me. I've spent much of my life as a solo sailor prowling the prairies and mountains for places where there usually aren't any people to help. So I came up free lifting the Mystere's mast and expect, even though I now have a family that's often with me, to figure out how to be self-sufficient with the SC19 as well. If that involves a gin pole or other special assistance, so be it. Do what I gotta do.

Edited by jonathan162 on Dec 14, 2019 - 02:46 PM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • I said I would never FREE LIFT a mast without someone helping. I have raised all my masts solo and hook up stays to pull them up and keep them in line while doing so.

I hope the "bad" reference didn't refer to sailing with friends. No offense but not sure how you could compare one to the other. Maybe I just have great friends.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Understood. I free lift the Mystere's because I learned to do it reliably alone and have never had a mishap over decades of sailing it. That's all.

And what I said was that sailing with friends is not bad advice. Shouldn't be any confusion there. I love sailing with other people, but have learned to be self-reliant when I'm alone.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • QuoteWhat I saw in that video was 100% bozo factor, the evidence being buddy on the ground wearing sailing gloves (when there was no rope to be pulled) and a GoPro (when he should have been concentrating on a critical and potentially hazardous task). His mind was on looking like a sailor for video.

Quote His mind was on looking like a sailor for video.

How do you know what his mind is on? Were you there? did you see him playing with his hair? was he fiddling with the camera?

BTW - the guy filming was the crew - not the skipper, not the boat owner. Crew who had sailed a few other times in his life.

I know this person, and I was there when this was filmed and I can tell you there was zero “hamming it up” to look like a sailor and the gloves were there to assist him rigging.

He put on a helmet cam (via a suggestion) so he can record the successful actions and failed actions of using a new gin pole on his new (to him) boat - as a new sailor it's a good thing to be able to review rigging and sailing - and you call him a bozo for it (and "a bit of a tosser")

And wearing gloves while rigging? maybe a wire rope on this 30 year old boat had a few burrs on it that he didn’t want to stick into his hand? Maybe there was a chance that something could go wrong and he may need to grab a rope or wire real quick? Maybe the black mast was very hot in the florida sun
    I’ve been sailing since the 70’s. I put on gloves at times while stepping a mast too.
    OH WAIT - I just realized I put my gloves on too in the video. hmmmmm boy those black masts get hot in the midday sun in florida

I saw your comment on his video on youtube (that he posted so others can learn from his mistakes) as well
    “Hard not to think the star of our show is a bit of a tosser, with his gloves (and GoPro) on for stepping the mast.”
    Jonathan Levine

Must be nice to be so perfect

Edited by MN3 on Dec 16, 2019 - 09:57 AM.
  • You don't have to like my take on it, but that's how I see it. I too have been sailing since the 70s (1970, actually, and cats since 1980 or so), and from all the years on all the boats in all the places with all the people and under all the conditions (including blizzards), I can say with a high degree of certainty that with boats of this scale, sailing gloves help sailing and hinder rigging (other than raising sails). And I noted the crew on the tramp was not wearing gloves.

So if they weren't there for function, another possibility is that they were there for show (for the benefit of himself and/or others).

And a headmounted camera is an objectively terrible way to record an operation like this, for all of the reasons familiar to anyone who's ever watched the resulting video. If he were serious about creating such documentation, the camera would have been on a tripod or held by a third party at a distance.

My perceptions and comments in this case are the simple product of experience, not of the perfection you kindly attribute to me, so I'm not going to apologize for them, nor get into a snarkfest with you, anonymous.

Edited by jonathan162 on Dec 16, 2019 - 12:08 PM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • QuoteMy perceptions and comments in this case are the simple product of experience,

You calling him a bozo and a bit of a tosser is a product of you being an ass

again - gloves were for a very hot mast, and other hand hazards
    video was to record the event for the skipper and others to learn from, not make a professional documentary

get over yourself - your input ridiculing a new sailor is uncalled for, not helpful in anyway and makes 1 person look like a jerk, and it's not the guy in the video

what value does calling him a tosser on his youtube page bring? you are mocking and ridiculing a new sailor for the sole purpose of degrading him and mocking him.

Poor form

Edited by MN3 on Dec 16, 2019 - 12:47 PM.
  • As I said, you may not like it, but I'm not calling you names either.

We're done here.

Edited by jonathan162 on Dec 16, 2019 - 02:06 PM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • QuoteAs I said, you may not like it, but I'm not calling you names either.

Yup, your calling rookie cat sailors (whom happen to be my friends) names both here and on youtube - and I am calling you out on it.

It's uncalled for, it's not helpful, it's disrespectful and i wont sit here and let you do it without telling you it's not appreciated.

Edited by MN3 on Dec 16, 2019 - 02:39 PM.
  • Since you insist (and with apologies, particularly to the original poster asking about the SC19)...

In the case in question, my commenting on him gives him, and not you, the right to call me out. It's quite improper for you to presume you have his proxy in this matter.

What I'm really making a statement on here is something that you (given your presumed age) should well understand: That just because you can make a video and put it on the internet doesn't mean you should. Our society is under assault from uncounted millions of people who don't know what they're doing yet are compelled to share every minute of it with the world. In buddy's own words:

"We're new to it...so, I have a feeling we're going to makes plenty of mistakes...in fact...I'm quite sure of it!... this was something I felt...needed to be recorded and shared with the world."

Well, my friend, you're wrong. It doesn't. Record it if you wish, study it, learn from it. But unless and until you do a much better job at documenting and explaining, don't bother sharing it, because the only benefit will be to your ego, and you'll just be inviting judgment from heartless monsters like me. Should you become an actual catamaran instructional filmmaker, I eagerly look forward to seeing your work and learning from it. But in the meantime, until you kind of have a clue what you're doing, please just keep it to yourself.

If you don't really get what I'm talking about, I suggest Andrew Keen's "The Cult of the Amateur". I believe that his argument for manning the parapets against enthusiastically broadcast mediocrity is a sound one. ("You mean a billion Chinese aren't staying awake right now waiting for my picture of the most awesome avocado toast ever?")

And I don't have a lick of trouble being seen as argumentative (Q: Why is arguing with an engineer like wrestling with a pig? A: You're going to get dirty, you're going to lose, and the pig likes it.), but do us the favour of not quoting me out of context, as that's a transparent trick that fails to serve your argument.

Edited by jonathan162 on Dec 16, 2019 - 04:33 PM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • And we're off topic.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Hence my apology above.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • [quote]

QuoteIn the case in question, my commenting on him gives him, and not you, the right to call me out. It's quite improper for you to presume you have his proxy in this matter.

Comments in public forums are invitations for all to respond. I don't need your permission, nor accept what you suggest are my rights.

Talk poorly (out of line) about a friend of mine who isn't around to defend himself and i can promise you i will chime in. Even if he wasn't a friend of mine, you have gone out of the way to ridicule a new sailor for wearing gloves while rigging and a hat camera, on multiple websites. this is a poor way to encourage new sailors and frankly - immature (given your presumed age)

QuoteWhat I'm really making a statement on here is something that you (given your presumed age) should well understand: That just because you can make a video and put it on the internet doesn't mean you should.

so multiple comments in multiple public websites, and now 4 paragraphs to express what your real issue is ... that he shouldn't be posting videos of his sailing experiences because he is a rookie with little experience.

I will stick with my original thought again
    It's uncalled for, it's not helpful, it's disrespectful - and i will call you out every time

Thanks - ymmv
  • Quote... that he shouldn't be posting videos of his sailing experiences because he is a rookie with little experience.

It's a little more subtle than that. "Rookie[s] with little experience" may well have something to say that we may benefit from hearing. It's about judging on a case-by-case basis whether or not they do, and my point is that - I think - in this case he doesn't, and instead is stroking his ego by looking sailory. A poster can avoid this potentially grossly-unfair judgment by being more discriminating in what (s)he posts for public consumption.

If he's on youtube, he's capable of being here. I invite him to come speak for himself.

Edited by jonathan162 on Dec 16, 2019 - 04:31 PM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • QuoteIt's a little more subtle than that.

I lack the subtle gene and skillset

i may even be wrong, and have been wrong and apologized a million times for it. and that was a slow day. but i will stand up for publicly berating newbies for being green every time

but ... any further discussion should be taken off line
    please PM me if you wish to continue

prost
  • To push it back on topic-while "incomplete" videos may not be professionally produced, they are VERY much welcomed in this digital age that is so very sparse on Hobie 21SE information. As a recent convert to sailing cats (1 year in) and having little other sources of information, just like the original poster, I study whatever I can find on-line. I'm just really, really lucky to have good friends first that also sail. The video is helpful. I'm a newish sailor, but have tons of experience in aerospace composites; I'll share what I know because that's what we do and what these forums and video posts are for. It's free speech-you have to discern for yourself no matter your age, (unfortunately ???). Most advice is good, I've seen.

The 19 is a big boat, big fun but equally bigger (well, different) methods of handling it. The OP needs to figure out personally if it fits his personality. Big means more work, but also higher rewards if not quite as many.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • For what it is worth....

20 some years ago, I entered the Milt Ingram Race with a Hobie 16, with winds forecasted at over 30 knots, and ended up doing my return leg on a CG boat.

That was unquestionably a bozo move.

Since then, I've got countless channel crossings under my belt on boats including a Hobie 18, Prindle 19 (including two solo crossings), Mystere 6.0, and Catalina Monohulls from 30 to 50 ft.

I've written ezine stories and blogs on many of the trips. I still think one of the most valuable write ups for rookies was the detailed article on my "bozo move". There are lessons in there, particularly how the rules can change in righting a cat in high winds and heavy seas.

A story or video showing where something goes wrong can be just as valuable as one where everything goes right, sometimes even more so. I encourage the new folks to look for the lessons in these videos and leave the critiques of "ego" and "sailory" appearances to those who have the misguided opinion that someone posting their own screw ups are somehow stroking their own ego. And that is a bit ironic, now that I think about it.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • What I like about the video is it is very real. This is cat sailing. A lot of videos are about fine tuning every little adjustment on a boat that is already rigged sitting pretty on the beach, then going out flying in ideal conditions. Showing all the little steps, and mis steps in real time can really help somebody decide if this for them. It was informative for me as I am not a gin pole user, and after this, I don't think its for me, really adds to set up time. I guess I may change my mind as I get older. Those guys stuck with it with a decent attitude and got on the water, all you can hope for.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.