Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cheers from WA - new Hobie 21SC owner  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• boatboreGet the best Goretex drysuit you can find. Even on the warmest days water temperatures in the salish sea hover around 50° and you're going to get wet regardless of tramp material. Staying warm and dry is the difference between enjoying your capsize or having a near death experience.

Another vote for good gear. I'm a big fan of NRS gear. Goretex is good stuff, but some of their other fabrics work well if you can't/won't afford Goretex.

There aren't that many SCs out there -- enjoy the heck outta yours!

Randii
  • I like how goretex doesn't hold in your body moisture. It cost more and probably has a shorter life but makes long days in your suit much more pleasant.
    My first drysuit was fondly referred to as my "poor man's drysuit". It's rather sketchy and needs to be used with great caution but it served me for many years, it consisted of chest waders $80, a semi drytop $70 with a good tight fitting pdf on top. If I went into the water for any length of time i might get a cup or two of water inside but that was somewhat refreshing when overheating from working to right the boat.
    The sport cruiser looks good for this area, great camping boat, enjoy!

--
    Dart 20
    --
  • QuoteI like how goretex doesn't hold in your body moisture. It cost more and probably has a shorter life but makes long days in your suit much more pleasant.

+1

My non gortex Kokatat farmer john's are great but gets swampy pretty easily with all the movement we do sailing
    I really don't sail in cold water, and don't sail in under 70* and sunny these days but if i ever get another, it will be goretex
  • Valid comments but too late icon_biggrin
    I found a "poor man's" drysuit. It's a used (like new) low-end NRS. New price for these was $450-500.

Reviews complain about bad fitment (potato sack) and yea, it's not breathable material (coated Nylon I believe).
    But hey, it was under $100 shipped and being ~6.3 I stretch out the sack pretty good. Also have to make sure to remove excess air after putting it on. Tried it on at home, instant tropical sauna inside. Was wearing it for ~3hrs in 50deg weather and it was fine. Good enough starter suit.

Wearing it and then stuffing the air compressor hose into a cuff is fun!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.