Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Worrell 1000 team  Bottom

• Hello!

My name is Jared Sonnenklar

I’m putting a team together for Worrell 2021.

I have acquired mast up storage here in KW and plan to do some training runs here to MIA

I am looking for someone to join the team. I have not been sailing competitively for the last few years and so do not have a regular partner.

Ideally we can spend some time training in the months ahead.

About me, I have a fair amount of distance experience completing servers partner 500s and the Great Texas 300.

I look forward to speaking with anyone interested.

You can contact me at jsonnenklar@gmail.com or 9542352537

Thank you!
  • Good luck Jared! I'm hoping to be along in some capacity in 2021. Looks like a lot of foreign teams so far, need some teams to hold up the USA end!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I'm curious, what is the boat of choice for this race?

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • QuoteI'm curious, what is the boat of choice for this race?

"The Race shall consist of one class with scoring based on overall elapsed time. Eligible boats are Formula 18 class (in compliance with current International Formula 18 Class Rules and with current and valid measurement certificate). Boats must be able to launch from and finish on the beach. The Worrell 1000 Race OA shall have final discretion as to which boats and classes of boats are allowed to compete."

https://worrell1000race.com/nor/
  • Nacra 20 is out?! Whoa. Last edition had 3 N20s and 1 F18 IIRC. There was some drama around the N20s because they were originally going foilers and Nacra had trouble getting straight foil kit to competitors in time.
  • martin_langhoffNacra 20 is out?! Whoa. Last edition had 3 N20s and 1 F18 IIRC. There was some drama around the N20s because they were originally going foilers and Nacra had trouble getting straight foil kit to competitors in time.

yup - could still change but it seems the logic is there are lots more f18'a than 20's and the cost vs abuse factor may have been a deterrent
  • Riiight. I honestly hope they are right.

Cannot help but observe that _just one_ F18 signed up for the 2019 edition. I don't own either, and I don't have the time availability - or resilience - for a W1000. Might be able to do a Florida300 some time.
  • martin_langhoffNacra 20 is out?! Whoa. Last edition had 3 N20s and 1 F18 IIRC. There was some drama around the N20s because they were originally going foilers and Nacra had trouble getting straight foil kit to competitors in time.

Hi Martin,
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but there was no plan to go with foilers and there was no straight foil kit, there is the Curved Daggerboard version which there were no problems there.
    The Carbon 20 is a great boat for this race! I think in a perfect world everyone would love to be sailing them! But they are expensive and there are a lot more affordable F18s out there.
    -Todd
  • Hi Todd!

I didn't explain that well. What I meant to say is that the N20s were originally bought as foilers (N20FCS, J foils, T rudders), and had to be converted to curved foils (curved main daggerboards, straight rudders).

The kit for that seemed to arrive just in time for the 3 N20s that participated. Here in Miami, I saw first hand teams drilling new holes into their transom, and hoping they were in the right place -- the straight rudders need different mounting brackets, and they go in a completely different place! This was less than 24hs before the start of the race.

These teams had a ton of experience, yet they had never sailed the boat in this configuration before the start of the race. They were worried about such a last minute change, and the water-tightness of the hull after sealing old holes, etc.

Because the conversion kit deliveries were unclear, a 4th N20 team dropped off.

In any case, the N20 seems to me a better fit for the travails of the W1000, so I agree. Hopefully with better logistics around kit. The N20s were faster, IIRC.
  • OK here's a long one. Just my opinion, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once...

I've done 5 or 6 Tybee 500's on the 18HT, F18, and N20 platforms. I've done 2 GT300's on the N20 and F20c platforms. On all but one occasion, we carried a complete spare boat as backup in case we broke something major.
    I can't think of a single race that we did not break a major part - castings, booms, spin poles, sails, or foils.

I can say that the 18HT was the least appropriate boat for the race. Prior to the race, we replaced everything on the boat except the hulls, beams, and mast - and reinforced the hell out of those. Most of the teams that attempted the race with a stock boat, never made it to the finish line due to breakages.

The N20 is truly a cadillac ride, but it has some weak points and it's almost impossible to get spare parts unless they are used on the Infusion. There are inexpensive boats that are out there, but they have a lot of years on them and will need a lot of work to get them to the starting line.

The F20c was a machine. I loved that boat! However when we did the GT 300 we broke 2 booms, 3 spin poles, 2 port dagger boards, 1 starboard dagger board, the port daggerboard trunk, and a couple of rudder castings. Again spare parts accessibility is going to be tough and expensive!

The F18 revels in the reaching conditions experienced on these races. Most of the time, it can carry the spin longer than the N20 on a reaching leg, and prove to be faster overall. Each of the F18 platforms have some weaknesses, but most of these have been addressed over time and as a result it's probably the most bullet proof choice out there. There's a F18 for sale for almost any budget - extremely used to brand new. Spare parts are not that hard to come by for most platforms. In some cases, they are interchangeable between manufacturers.

So, if I had the W1000 in my sights, I would be applauding the F18 choice of platforms.
  • GREAT perspective!
    thanks Mike
  • Lots of good information in this thread. Last years Worrell was a F20c only race, with the F18 sort of 'allowed' in the open class. The 2021 seems to be the opposite, but I have also been told if enough (~6) F20c's commit, they will have a start.

Not all F20c's in the U.S started life as FCS boats. Krantz's is one such. I do think the overall boat has been beefed up in the FCS configuration to support foiling loads and also as a result of lessons learned on the Nacra 17, which IMO makes them more suitable for the Worrell than most platforms. They are also noticeably faster than the F18.

That being said, the F18 is a great platform for this race, plenty out there for under $15k that will make it up the coast so you could pretty much have 2x for the price of 1 F20c.

Jarred, what are you planning to train on?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.