Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gear organization in trailer box  Bottom

• The truck box used on the trailer became a catch all of spares, trailer Jack, paddles, tiller, line, stays.

Any experience in organization that stand the test of time?

One thing that has worked, A little Stanley box is handy for misc stainless fittings. It has a snap lid and 9 or so compartments, and is durable.

Cardboard boxes got wet.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • QuoteAny experience in organization that stand the test of time?

Organization last as long as people utilize it (put things back organized)
    Seen many nice setups, seen many a messes.
    Mine falls somewhere in the middle. Catagorized bags/boxes (box for spares, rigging bag, tool tote for tools, etc.)
    Trailer boxes are watertight and that helps tremendously.
    Sections of gutter work great to hold tillers/crossbars.
    Sail bag is a must have to me.
    Unless you’re lucky enough to have one of those giant diamond plate cat boxes $$$, I think the next best solution is a Hobie Cat Box for rudders, sails and whatnot. And a truck tool box for everything else mounted at the mast cradle on the trailer.

Edited by badfish on Sep 23, 2019 - 01:12 PM.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • i use a couple heavy duty plastic cargo boxes
    one for all clothing type gear - pfd, gloves, hats, harness, foul weather gear etc
    other box for all tools (i have 2 tool boxes, one with just tools in it, one small tool organizer type box for shackles, ring dings, rigging tape, etc
    sails, tiller & extension and boom go back into the sailbox
    rudders are a bit of an outsider: i have blade covers for them, so they get put in the hatchback with the big cargo boxes

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/190d8212-217d-415a-bea2-379600be91d3/svn/black-durabilt-storage-bins-4415bkylecom-02-64_1000.jpg

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3FRC4_AS01?$lgthumb$
  • Quoteone for all clothing type gear - pfd, gloves, hats, harness, foul weather gear etc

I use a large mesh gym ball bag with a smaller mesh bag inside for gloves, hat, etc.
    All soft goods (running rigging, sails, pfds) are pulled out of the trailer and stored indoors when not in use.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • all my soft gear gets rinsed off when i wash the boat post weekend (as do the rudders, boom and tiller extension)
    keeping it all in one waterproof box keeps salt, sand and salt water off my car mats
  • The cat box on the trailer holds the rudders (assembled), boom with main sheet blocks attached, sails (rolled in a sail bag), PFDs, and harnesses. The last two are in web mesh bags to help dry. Everything gets pulled out and rinsed when we get home.

Spare tire is bolted and locked to the tongue horizontally, with a plywood and Sunbrella cover to act as a step up front.

Hydraulic jack, tubes of lube and repair goo, and other tools are kept in a plastic trailering tool box in the garage, and put in the vehicle when trailering.

Stainless steel fittings, gloves, misc. personal gear, and extra line/blocks are in a duffel that has a tag on the outside to remind me to bring the radios, flares and first aid gear stored elsewhere. Inside the duffel is also a small zippered pouch that contains duplicates of the shackles, hinge pins and small vise grips needed to rig the boat, that could fall into the water and be lost. (Might have happened once... icon_lol )
    Does this help?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Yes, all great info. Thanks. I had some drawer liner on the bottom of the truck box to prevent chafing of gear.

I may make a label for inside the lid with part info location. Might double as a check list.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I use a combination of plastic totes and bags:
    - one plastic tote for all the bits, bobs, and lines not currently in use (smaller clear tacklebox/trays inside for organization)
    - another plastic tote that wet gear goes into at the water, and dry gear returns to after hanging at home (everything here has a bag, and the bags stay in the box, so it is immediately obvious when I've forgotten something)
    - mesh NRS duffel for harness, PFD, wetsuit, splash top, sailing gloves, and a beach towel
    - nylon duffel for a dry change of clothes
    - large bag for miscellaneous butt buckets for guests
    - each sail set has a long nylon bag
    Most of the above gear is in the hatchback or back seat. The boat box on the trailer holds the bagged rudders and boards, the boom, the hiking stick, etc. and a small tote for miscellanea.

The snazzy Hobie mesh bag is used for long-term storage for extra sails in the house. I really ought to switch that out for the actively-used sails.

The trick is to have a system so that you don't forget or misplace something. The more gear you have, the better your system needs to be.

Randii
  • QuoteThe more gear you have, the better your system needs to be.

True!

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I use 2' x 2' fatigue mats to line the bottom of my boxes to help reduce chafing. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gray-Anti-Fatigue-Mat-Common-4-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-49-21-in-x-49-21-in/3111467

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • QuoteI use 2' x 2' fatigue mats to line the bottom of my boxes to help reduce chafin

chafing of what?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.