Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Consider requesting Tef-gel when ordering new rigging  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Throwing out an idea here. Just spoke by phone to the inventor of Tef-gel, the stuff that prevents corrosion between dissimilar metals. I asked him why sailboat riggers do not put this stuff into the rigging before making the swages. Short answer is that they like to sell replacement rigging... There's no concern that the gel will cause rigging to slip apart or anything like that. All it will do, apparently, is isolate the stainless (which does corrode if left untreated) for a decade or more. This would effectively eliminate the main reason for changing rigging at 3-year intervals, corrosion within the joints from slightly dissimilar metals.
  • In aviation we use a quite similar product called cor-ban all over the place. If it helped in the application of control cables, I think we could be using it. I haven't seen this yet.... Hardly scientific, but we tend to go over the top in corrosion prevention (in aviation)

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I learned of Tef-gel from old Catsailor posts. It's worked great on all my rivet fittings and dolphin striker bar. I wish I had asked for it before replacing all of my standing rigging recently. I have a couple seized bolts on my rudder assembly. I'll put some gel on them after I get them loose. I also have some pitting corrosion on my port chainplate. That can't be easily replaced on my boat. The inventor said Tef-gel would halt that process as well.
  • reasons a rigger may not want to do this is:

this stuff can get over everything and
    it is pretty impossible to get off hands and tools without solvents
    is pretty expensive and would have to be passed on to the consumer - increasing costs

most of my rigging failures happen just outside the fitting (including strands and even the swages/airplane fittings), you would need to shmeer this stuff all over the end of the fitting and then seal it with rigging tape or heat shrink - making it impossible to inspect without removing and replying ....

but please try it and let us know - i will ask my rigger when i see him what he thinks
  • Quote also have some pitting corrosion on my port chainplate. That can't be easily replaced on my boat.

the pitting on the exterior is a symptom - the real issue is the part embedded in glass that is anaerobic. that is where the failures often happen (from oxidation)

http://www.dixielandmarin…om/yachts/DLrigprob.html
  • I use Tef-Gel wherever to dissimilar materials are being joined. Ex. stainless rivets in aluminum or carbon, stainless screws/bolts in aluminum or carbon, or aluminum rivets in carbon. I'm not sure that it will do anything by coating the stainless wire inside of a stainless swage fitting. Stainless is only "stainless" if it is exposed to air and is allowed to oxidize. How many times have you seen rust stains seeping out of swage fittings, chain plates, etc. It's caused by moisture and lack of oxygen.
  • Quotethe pitting on the exterior is a symptom - the real issue is the part embedded in glass that is anaerobic. that is where the failures often happen (from oxidation)

I'm assuming that at some point my chainplate was exposed to a chemical (cleaner) or mechanical abrasion that started the pitting process at that location. I don't see this on any other boats at my club. It's only one chainplate. By greasing it, I hope to arrest the process before it becomes an issue. Very minor now.
  • QuoteI'm not sure that it will do anything by coating the stainless wire inside of a stainless swage fitting. Stainless is only "stainless" if it is exposed to air and is allowed to oxidize. How many times have you seen rust stains seeping out of swage fittings, chain plates, etc. It's caused by moisture and lack of oxygen.

I am learning here, so thank you for the good feedback. Wouldn't Tef-gel isolate the dissimilar metals (even the "same" stainless won't match perfectly between fittings and wire) from each other and keep moisture out for many years?
  • I think it works well on similar metals also to help lube and prevent galling - https://www.boltdepot.com…ades/thread-galling.aspx

where do you all purchase it from?

Edited by MN3 on Jul 17, 2019 - 03:38 PM.
  • I use Boeshield T-9 to lube fittings and prevent galling.
  • QuoteI use Boeshield T-9 to lube fittings and prevent galling.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Had never heard of it. Good price too.
  • traphappyJust spoke by phone to the inventor of Tef-gel, the stuff that prevents corrosion between dissimilar metals. I asked him why sailboat riggers do not put this stuff into the rigging before making the swages. Short answer is that they like to sell replacement rigging....

Playing devil’s advocate.....maybe the inventor of Tef-Gel just wants to sell more Tef-Gel....

In all seriousness though, I don’t see what isolating stainless from stainless would do for you. Isolating stainless from other metals would be beneficial. Isolating stainless from moisture/salt would be beneficial (I have occasionally considered placing polyolefin lined heat shrink over the ends of the rigging). But isolating a stainless wire from a stainless terminal, I don’t really see the point there.

sm
  • QuotePlaying devil’s advocate.....maybe the inventor of Tef-Gel just wants to sell more Tef-Gel....

Sure, of course. We all need a second yacht...

QuoteIn all seriousness though, I don’t see what isolating stainless from stainless would do for you. Isolating stainless from other metals would be beneficial. Isolating stainless from moisture/salt would be beneficial (I have occasionally considered placing polyolefin lined heat shrink over the ends of the rigging). But isolating a stainless wire from a stainless terminal, I don’t really see the point there.

I'm no expert, hence asking about this here... I've heard three things. 1) Stainless is stain less. It still corrodes in the marine environment, but less (source: Tef-gel inventor); 2) Stainless wire and terminals often differ in their chemistries, leading to some galvanic corrosion (source: some dude on Catsailor); 3) Knock off the protective layer (or whatever, I'm no expert) and stainless steel starts to go. Seems like a swage would knock off a protective layer some of the time (source: the internet/ must be true).

Glad we are discussing this.
  • A career spent in the Coast Guard using Boeshield T-9 for most corrosion applications is the go-to product for wiping down metal after long exposure. I’d still use tuf-gel for initial install of rivets and the like.

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • Mahalo for the T-9 tips. This product was not on my radar, and they do stock it at the island's west marine store.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuMahalo for the T-9 tips. This product was not on my radar, and they do stock it at the island's west marine store.

Order it from walmart or amazon - west marine is 75% more expensive (that is here in the conus - can't imagine the mark up over there)

i just purchased 20cc of tef-gel for $18 at a local pump company vs $37 for the same size at west marine
  • I'm stuck. They don't fly in "hazardous" materials to the islands. Batteries and aerosols are on the very long list too. I can't even order lithium button batteries or electric shaver cleaning solution.

Price of paradise. boohoo

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • west marine makes me feel like .... kotz
  • Until recently, West Marine would price match any competitor. Now, they only do local within 50 miles and Defender. Yup, Defender! I just took some line down from $0.99 to $0.50 a foot! Everyone should know about this!
  • Amazon will ship the TefGel out here for retail + $1. But no to the T-9 @ $19

https://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/full/259408_FUL.02102018080003.jpg

So it's $23 at West Marine or nuthin.

I expect I should have both in my toolbox.

--
    Prindle 18
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.