Things not to do when flying a spinnaker  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Drop it early, drop it often.

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • MN3any thoughts with this in regard to centerboards vs dagger boards?

You're hosed...

Kidding. So, since the boards are much lower aspect, they aren't nearly as efficient; not to mention shorter and don't have the leverage of a longer board.

With the Tornado Sport, you want a good half-gasket job and you just leave the down all the time. First, you need every bit of lift that you can get because of the larger sail plan. Second, you want a good seal between the trunk and the board, so if you create a situation where the gasket or trunk is catching water, that's worse than the drag from having the board full down. Full gaskets would let you run the board partially up and not behave like a parachute, but the half-gaskets can't because of the shape of the board/trunk.

For other centerboard boats; Prindle 18-2, 19, Hurricane 5.9, all depends on the shape of the board/trunk as well. If I remember correctly, the 18-2 and 19 are shaped so that the boards fit in the trunk even when partially rotated up? Regardless, if you're trying to wild thing without a kite, you need all the leverage you can get and therefore should have the board all the way down as well.

We ran a Tornado with a mast that is ~5' taller than stock and ~18% more sail area in the FL300 two years. There was never a time when we thought we needed to pull the boards up to depower like you would in a daggerboard boat. One, they just aren't very long/deep (leverage); two, because of the extra sail area, we were at a deficit for board lift even worse than normal. Keeping the boards down was a problem b/c you could hear the water in the trunk and the helm feel would change for the worse if they moved.

I think of it like the rudders on a Hobie 16. Just keep them down b/c you're more likely to lose speed because you were messing with them when you should have been trying to be smooth with the helm and sail trim.
  • wlrottge - I agree with all you said
    what do you mean 1/2 gasket?

on my board-well (bottom) i use a 3" gasket that i either slit down the middle for the board or i cut it into 1/2 prior to gluing

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.